Ringaza / Rip off scamming company!

We were charged 9.99 on our alltel bill for ringaza alerts. We did not order this service, the phone that the ringtone is said to be on cant even get ringtones. I called the company to get a refund and they would not comply. Alltel says they cannot refund me because this is a third party fee. I just received my bill yesterday and i was again charged the 9.99 fee even though i called to have this service removed 3 times. This is soo aggravating and i don't know what to do to be able to insure i will not get charged again. I have turned this company in to the better business bureau and have received a response from the company, but basically saying that there is no way that a customer could be charged for something they did not order. But i did not order this service and i did not receive the service they are saying i ordered. In spite of everything, i still have no ringtones to show for the 9.99 i have to pay, twice.

My advice in this case of this rip off scamming company is to turn it in to the better business bureau. That is the only way for anything to happen to companies like this. Otherwise they will continue to rip people off forever.

Va

Comments

Em
  9th of Oct, 2007
Ringaza - Unnecessary charges on my phone bill!

This is the second month that I'm getting $9.99 from ringaza on my Alltel bill. I was mislead by a free ringtone ad on-line. I was NEVER told that I would be charged for the service. This is a total rip off. I don't even have the bloody ringtones that I was promised. Alltel is telling me that they can't do anything about the service and I don't know how to contact anybody from ringaza.

Beware!

Va
  9th of Oct, 2007

Same thing happened to me. Verizon did credit me one month not sure what is happening next month. I get alerts on my cell phone from RingAZA saying Thanks for being a Member and I reply with text message that I am 'NOT' a member and you do not have permission to charge. I really think that Verizon, Alltel and the other cell phone companies should be all over this and stop it.

An
  9th of Oct, 2007

I agree. Verizon (my cell phone company) should not allow these charges! I have never used ring tones services. I was scammed (read my complaint). I researched and found the owner of the company and I think they are sending my $$ back. BUT until I see it, I wont believe it. The company is registered with the Better Business Bureau, which today I threatened them to file a complaint and now no one is answering the calls at their call center.

Ca
  12th of Oct, 2007

There is no way any one would be charged . You have to enter your cell number in the site and agree to the terms and conditions and in return you receive a pin code to the cellphone in confirming the order and charge. There is no error on the company side but the users side, their just pathetic and stupid fro not reading the terms they agreed too. and if they want to unsubscribe all they have to is to text stop and everything is legal and BBB approves their services and in fact the phone company's have the authority to refund the charges but don't since they also receive the portion of the charge. So the cust should always read what they are getting into and not to blame a company for the the cust fault and be liable for there own actions, the company cant help if the cust is a total jack*ss.

St
  16th of Oct, 2007

I also agree with the notion that this is a scam. Verizon, or any other "reputable" cell phone company should not participate in this (dis)service! A minor in my household probably did order this service on one of our phones, but to the casual visitor - much less to a minor - it is not apparent that they are going to be billed. Pricing should be displayed more prominently and the T&C page should be a required click-through page before the visitor can subscribe. In my case, no ring tone was ever downloaded and on our 8-page phone bill the charge went unnoticed for several month. When I caught on, the company (or course) refused to credit a single cent back. I will report this to the BBB. However, while I am disgusted by how Ringaza presents this scam as a "service", I equally fault the big mobile phone companies for making this possible through their participation. Verizon's "there is nothing we can do about this" was the lamest BS I have heard in a while. There is a LOT they could do about it, but like another poster pointed out, they are certain to make a cut on each and every "subscription".

Mi
  20th of Oct, 2007

Ripped me off to with an email that said, Someone is looking for you.

Just enter your cell# to make for sure then try to close out of pop up, and it said thanks for order, with no way to get a hold of, or confirmation email.

Total scam, reported to FCC one of the five commissioners. If you can get on google and report to FCC .

Thanks.

Ay
  24th of Oct, 2007

Just send STOP to 757-14!

On
  27th of Oct, 2007

I've been receiving text messages from ringaza.com every day and I did not sign up for that, I would very much appreciate it if they would stop sending me these text messages because I would not be paying for them. I'm very upset about it right now, thank you for reading this complaint and i hope that this problem would be rectify very soon.

Pa
  29th of Oct, 2007

Same thing happened to me, contact your phone company and have them blocked for future charges.

Be
  29th of Oct, 2007

I received the $9.99 charge on my Alltel bill also. The charge came through on my 14 year old daughter's phone. She claims that she never signed up for anything, and there is no download of any ring tones to prove that she ordered anything. Beware. This is a recurring charge. They bill you $9.99 every month. Alltel claims that there is nothing that they can do, since it is a third party charge, however they allow these rip-offs to be processed through their billing. They must be cutting them a check for the amount billed, and hence have established some kind of relationship with the company. In addition, since when has a 14 year-old been allowed to enter into a contract? It is totally illegal. Sending a text to 75714 with the word "STOP" typed is supposed to end the bleeding!!!

Ca
  30th of Oct, 2007

There is no way possible to accidentally subscribe to our service. The process is multi-step and requires that the user acknowledge their understanding of the program before being activated. The user, upon entering their cell number will be sent a unique PIN code to their phone. In order to be activated the user must either reply on their mobile phone to that message accepting the subscription or enter that unique PIN code in to the website and check a box saying that they have AGREE to the terms and
conditions of the offer. The price is prominently displayed as well as the terms of the offer are shown on the first page. We are not only regulated by normal legal business law and common best practices, but we are also compliant with the Mobile Marketing Associations guidelines or mobile content distribution. In addition, ever offer that we attempt to put before the public is subject to an extensive 4 week review by each cellular company
individually as they obviously want to protect their customer base.

Re
  30th of Oct, 2007

Im furious.. I got charged 9.99 for something I didnt get and of all things its on my BUSINESS phone.. I contacted Alltel and they wont even take it off.. what gives???

Ha
  2nd of Nov, 2007

I too have been charged $9.99, which I never understood would be charged upfront, without my accessing any service. Waiting to see if AT&T or Ringaza will do something about it.

Ma
  6th of Nov, 2007

T Mobile has been charging me for ringAZA and Thumbplay for about five months now. I didn't catch on until two months ago because the bill fluctuates from time to time. I know I have never signed up for these services and certainly have received nothing more than a text from these rotten people. I went online and un subscribed and was sent a message saying that I would not be charged from that point on. Next time I got my bill I was charged for three totaling at $31.46. This is a scam and must be stopped. A representative at Tmobile told me there was nothing they could do about it. I said this is a scam, she agreed, and I asked her why Tmobile is allowing this company to scam there customers. I didn't get an answer and she did nothing except tell me that I must have signed up some how.

Vi
  6th of Nov, 2007

This is definitely a scam from ringaza. I have been charged for the last 3 months without my permission. Alltel is not taking any responsibility. I think if Altel charges me then they should take responsibility or Ringaza should bill me directly. This is a scam and it is a shame that big wireless companies encourage this and do nothing to stop this. I see that some of the bloggers have mentioned that this cannot happen without getting to their website and entering a code. Believe me, i know i have not seen their site let alone put a code.

12th of Nov, 2007

Here is the ownership information for Ringaza.com - they are owned by Media Breakaway in Colorado. Email the state district attorney and consumer affairs dept for Westminster, CO. They also charged me 9.99 illegally. I could not find this fee warning anywhere on their website.

RINGAZA OWNER:

12th of Nov, 2007

Here is Ringaza's phone number: 1-866-616-6076
and 1-303-464-8164 !

13th of Nov, 2007

For those of you whose kids have said that they don't recall signing up for ringaza, or probably any other premium text service, ask them if they created a photo bucket account. Apparently if you enter your cell number as part of the registration process, after entering the data of birth, you are signed up for ringaza.

Da
  13th of Nov, 2007

THEY CHARGED ME $9.99 TOO! THEY ARE NOT CLEARLY INFORMING CUSTOMERS BEFORE CHARGING THEM!

I EVEN DIDN'T DOWNLOAD ANY RINGTONE, SINCE I SENT THE MESSAGE "STOP" AT THE 75714 ASAP. THIS IS MAYBE NOT ILLEGAL, BUT IT IS OBVIOUSLY UNETHICAL, SINCE THE CUSTOMERS FEEL DECEIVED. THAT IS NOT THE WAY TO DO BUSINESS. SOMEONE SHOULD DO SOMETHING TO STOP THOSE PEOPLE STEAL OTHER'S MONEY.

Ka
  16th of Nov, 2007

If your kids got into this accidentally while looking around on photo bucket, then be aware that Myspace has the same thing. Yes, this is completely underhanded and unethical, and yes, I am now stuck with this too. What happens, at least on Myspace (for which I hold them partially responsible as well) is you do one of those "what kind of a drink would you be if you were a drink" or "who has a crush on you", or some other silly survey questionnaire, and it asks your name and then says it will "text you your answer immediatelly" if you just put your number in. I was very bored, in a silly mood, and was laughing at this survey thing, did it on a whim, and worst of all - input my boyfriend's cell number into the "cell number" part. He is flipping out right now, but I dont even feel guilty, we are just both really mad. We texted "STOP" like it says immediatelly, but it comes back with "no address", so the "stop" never goes anywhere. So then we called the number that texted us to tell us that now we are doomed for a lifetime of 9.99 a month hell, and were on hold forever. It was just not worth the phone minutes wasted. Or is it?.. We called the 303 number that someone left in an above comment, but it just their marketing department or something, with no one to talk to you. This is horrible. Can't something MAJOR be done about this?? I'm super super mad, never mind my boyfriend, especially after reading all of the above comments and complaints. Can't we all collectively do something?