Right Cars rental cars at Glasgow Airport / No refund deposit GBP350

1 Schotland Review updated:

October 2012 we rented a car from Right Cars at Glasgow Airport for one week for which we payed a deposit of GBP 350, 00. After inspection of the car upon return everything was in order according to the company (no scratches, no damage), so the full refund should be GBP 350, 00. Almost 3 weeks later the amount was still not credited to my Visa Card.
I sent an e-mail to Right Cars and they told me that my refund was already processed 2 weeks before and that the funds had left their account and they had asked their bank to investigate to see if they could explain why it hadn't arrived in my account.
I never heard from them again!
After numerous e-mails and phonecalls to the reservations dept the following months, nobody ever answered my request nor call me back, nor bothered even to send me an e-mail. I was totally ignored.
The most problematic thing with that company is that you have to call a phone number of reservations and ask your question, the lady on the other end can do nothing else than pass your question to the financial dept., you cannot call them yourself. Or you can send them an e-mail, which is worthless because they do not bother to answer it.
After almost half a year I got this e-mail when I forwarded my complaint to Car Rental Republic: they apologized for my trouble with Right Cars and they were going to look into it.
And they did !! finally... but what a surprise when I got this message forwarded from Car Rental Republic last week: Right Cars is dealing with my issue and they would forward details and photo of damage to the car (!!!) forward to Car Rental Republic obviously, not to me.
We are now 7 months past the rental period! They are now accusing me of having returned a damaged car.
I told them it is unacceptable to raise this type of issue after all this time, mainly because first they told me they already refunded the deposit in October 2012.
I am now really fed up with both of these companies and have late them know that I am not accepting this kind of behaviour, their accusations and that I have started up formal proceedings to get my money back. I am entitled to GBP 350, 00
Total radio silence from their side until today. It is unbelievable that they think they can get away with this and I am not going to let them!
Message to everybody: DO NOT RENT YOUR CAR AT CAR RENTAL REPUBLIC / RIGHT CARS

Cl
May 22, 2013

Comments

• Pr
      23rd of May, 2013

I have also been a victim of fraud by Right Cars and am now taking it to the authorities.

• Bo
      22nd of Jun, 2013

We returned our car to right cars at glasgow airport and exactly 15 working days later the £350 came through. I called initially a couple of days after we returned the car to be told it had been processed and could look it up on their web portal. 2 working weeks later still no sign of the payment and no way the bank could trace it back. Money was short in the bank and I was desperate for money and did another call to be told it should be in our bank within 5 more working days to coinicide exactly with the 15 days on the t's an c's. When collecting the vehicle i wasn't expecting to pay the £350 (i had taken insurance out) and you really have no choice as you and your family are at their place with all your bags and have nowhere else to go. I thought all seemed fine and was impressed with the speed of pick up and just wanted to start our holiday. Now for the important bit - the chap who did the paperwork said he used to work in IT in the banking sector in the middle east and made his money there. Now i expect he knows exactly how long payments can get through and what they can get away with. The issue is if you were told up front it usually takes 15 working days for your deposit to arrive you may be more understanding at day 10, but its the not knowing no information and damn lies that causes the issues. I see a lot of these complaints are over the last month - guess glasgow right cars must be desperate for all that interest (say 5 cars x £350 a day for 3 weeks isn't bad to have in the bank at any time). The staff and experience was all fine until after the event - collected from the airport very quickly and return process also good, after then though very negative. I will now be very cautious with hire cars and will look on forums like this before doing anything again. Advice - check the company out befpre you book and whether a big deposit is needed and how long it takes to get back before you sign.

25th of Jun, 2013

Hired a car from Right Cars! What a mistake to make! I should have read feed back / comments before arriving in Glasgow. I've now got the hassle of trying to get my £350 deposit back (which is paid to a company called 'Tessa'). The deposit being paid to another company name should have rang alarm bells for me but I'd been travelling since 5am and was thankful to get the car and get to my destination. I have informed the company that I hired through 'arguscarhire' and also my credit card company as car was hired 10th May '13. Its now 25th June and I'm still waiting. I sent a letter by 'signed for' post in the end to Right Cars and their response was to email me threatening me with court action for slander for a comment made by me on the Internet. The only comment form that I had completed was the satisfaction form from 'arguscarhire' that I said that their staff had been polite but fuel tank was empty when contract said it should have been full and still waiting over a month later for my deposit. Also still waiting for the legal action papers to arrive regarding their case against me for slander (not really expecting anything in the near future! as they don't really want attention in court & would loose & end up paying my costs). Also all emails from Right cars are unsigned - not professional at all. I have now received a letter saying payment was made 14th May '13 which is not true. So now intend to take the matter further and claim for interest paid on credit card and fuel that I left in tank and for hassle that they have caused me as like most people I can not afford to be without the money (£350). Thank fully my credit card company are assisting. I'm reporting case to Trading Standards.

4th of Jul, 2013

How did it all go for your guys?
    My story is much the same taking from the 16 th of April to the 12th June for the refund to be put back in my bank account, only I found out today they have taken 110. Gbp of my deposit . Saying there was damage to the alloy wheel and I signed to say this was true! Which of course is not the case.
    Saying I am lived is an understatement !
    Where can I turn to?

4th of Jul, 2013

looks like we have all been had ... lets get together and get this sorted

Hi,

I'm going through a similar case. I rented a car returned it on the 16th June 2013 and still no sign of my deposit.

I have instructed my bank to open a case against Right Cars.

Where can I contact the moderator of this forum?

Many thanks.

5th of Jul, 2013

can you please pm me you emails and we will take this company to court and open it to the media.

8th of Jul, 2013

I rented a car from Right Cars on 15th June 2013 and returned it in perfect working order on 16th June 2013.
    The company took £383 from my card on collection of the car. They should have returned £350 but they have not yet reverted the transaction. Right Cars terms and conditions state that it could take between 10 and 14 working days for the funds to show up on my bank statement but it has not been returned.

On 25th June I spoke to a gentleman called Richard Little who told me he was the chairman of Right Cars. He said that the money had been sent to my account on 18/06/13 and provided me with a reference number: 1371549600.

Today (05/07/13) is the 14th working day and the money has not been returned to my card. I rang the company three times this morning but there was no answer.

I would like to have the £350 returned to my card as soon as possible, so I am asking the my bank to act on my behalf to recover the money.

So far it seems like this company is not to be trusted with anybody credit card details..

Hi All,

I wish I had come across this page sooner. I have had exactly the same issue, the £350 deposit not returned from a hire back in February.

I had HSBC argue my case but as Right Cars would not supply a refund voucher they couldn't prove they hadn't returned it.

Has anyone been in contact regarding clubbing together to get our money back?

I will send messages to each of you with my contact details, hopefully we can get this sorted.

9th of Jul, 2013

I've contacted BBC Watchdog regarding Right Cars.

Why don't we all do the same?

If a few people get in touch they might run the story and exposed this unscrupulous bunch.

Hi,

I've contacted the BBC Watchdog regarding Right Cars and not getting my deposit back.

If we all contact them they might get involved and expose this unscrupulous bunch.

• Gm
      18th of Jul, 2013

Been wrangling with Right Cars since January for my deposit return. Car was signed off as undamaged but they changed their mind at a later date, claiming damage was noted when the car was put in for a valet.

Despite numerous requests for documentation, Right Cars continue to refuse to provide any photos, copies of the contract, repair info etc. All they have sent so far is a single picture, showing a damaged car that was a completely different colour to the one I rented. Any requests for further info are met with similar threats of legal action as mentioned in the other complaints above.

I've taken the case to Trading Standards and provided Cartrawler (the broker who Right Cars trade through) with all the relevant info. Watchdog will be my next step.

• Cl
      23rd of Jul, 2013

Dear posters: today I contacted BBC Watchdog through their website and put in my story with Right Cars Airport Car Rental.
    Hopefully, if we all do the same, we will get their attention so they can make other people aware of the tricks and lies and also help stop Right Cars doing business!
    Claudia

Hi,

I have now also contacted Watchdog. We need to speak with one voice.

• Sv

Hi,

I have also had a similar issue with right cars at Glasgow Airport. I hired a car there from 28 June to 1 July, and they only returned GBP 178 of the GBP 350 deposit (off my debit card stupidly!) stating that there was a scratch in the passenger-side door and that the car had to be repaired (GBP 150) and that it took a day out from being on the road (GBP 22). This news only came > 1 month after having made the first request and two days after my second email enquiry. The ridiculous thing is that the employee who checked the car for damage signed my copy of the returns form clearly stating "No damage, full deposit refund". I have emailed them again and will send them a scan of the form in due course - if they don't respond and refund, I will follow the route of others on here and contact Trading Standards and BBC Watchdog - the fact that the company only have an automated phone-line and nobody can speak or connect one to the finance department is highly dodgy on its own. I guess they really rely on the interest they make by not refunding promptly, but within the unusually-long period of "up to 21 working days".

Sven L

25th of Jul, 2013

I have experienced exactly the same problem with Right Cars as that detailed by other customers. We hired a car on 28 June and returned it on 7July in prime condition and in good time. It was inspected by a member of staff. We rang the company several times to get action on reclaiming our £350 deposit, but with no response. Emails have been similarly ignored. We have been advised to contact Natwest Visa Retail Disputes and the Fair Trading Office.
    But it really needs a combined effort by all disgruntled customers to get action against this disreputable company. Writing en masse to BBC Watchdog would be a good place to start. But most important is not to let the situation lie. We must speak and act with one voice.

25th of Jul, 2013

I have also had a similar experience with Right Cars at Glasgow Airport. We hired a car on 28 June and returned it ipunctually and in prime condition on 7July. It was inspected by a member of staff. Despite repeated phonecalls and emails, we have had no response to our claims for a rightful refund of our £350 deposit.
    We have been advised to contact Natwest Visa Retail Disputes and Trading Standards Office. But writing en masse and with one voice to BBC Watchdog would be a good place to start.
    We need to act en masse and with one voice. The important thing is not to let the current situation lie. Action must be taken immeditaely against this disreputable company.

25th of Jul, 2013

I have also had a similarly bad experience with Right Cars at Glasgow Airport. We hired a car on 28 June and returned it punctually and in prime condition on 7 July. It was inspected by a member of staff.
    Despite Phonecalls and emails, which have been ignored, we have been unable to claim the rightful return of our £350 deposit. We have been advised to contact Natwest Visa Retail Complaints and the Trading Standards Office. But BBC Watchdog should also be informed. We need to act en masse and with one voice. Most importantly, we must not remain complacent. Action must be taken against this disreputable company.

Frederick S
    I have been having exactly the same problem with Right Cars at Glasgow Airport.
    We need to contact BBC Watcdog en masse and speak with one voice.
    We need firm action against this disreputable company

25th of Jul, 2013

We have had a similar bad experience with Right Cars at Glasgow Airport.
    Action needs to be taken en masse.
    Contact your bank, notify Trading Standards and write to BBC Watchdog.
    This disreputable organisation must be brought to book