Riddle & Assoc (aka Riddle/Wood) / Harrassing phone calls

1 P.O. Box 1187 Sandy, UT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-225-5050

This company calls me day or night with automated message asking for "Christina" to pay a debt. They have the wrong house and won't stop. Research on the web shows they don't stop for anyone. It's fraudulent, a disgrace, and they should be sanctioned.

Please tell me how I can get them to cease and desist. And let me know how if can take action against them. Someone should do something.

Chris

Comments

Ra
  4th of Nov, 2008

Go online to the Federal Trade commission web site. There is a place to file a comlaint with the FTC. They are using illegal practices to try to collect old debts.

Also go to Clarkhoward.com for more information.

You may be able to file a complaint with your local attorney generals office and there may be a statue of limitations on some old debts.

Hope this helps.

Sa
  19th of Feb, 2009

I have gotten phone calls and now this letter from them. They said if I don't respond that means I accept responsibility?? WTF??

And yep you guessed it, no e-mail contact info just snail mail or toll free numbers.

Gold diggers I tell you. There has to be some statue of limitations with them doing this.

An
  13th of Apr, 2009

They are extremely unreasonable .I had a directtv debt of 100.00 and I was trying to tell them on the phone I paid 50.00 back to directv and I only owe 50.00 and they kept telling me my payment didnt matter because I didnt prove it to them within the 1st 30 days. VERY VERY RUDE COMPANY. THANK GOD DIRECTV TOOK THE ACCOUNT AWAY FROM THEM

Al
  10th of Jun, 2009

omg this company is very rude and not professional at all! NICK from that company insulted me personally a couple of times and when I asked to speak to his supervisor he would not transfer me. I tried to set up payments with them that I could afford and they would not accept it? wtf? really? anyways, if anyone has to deal with these ppl good luck

Jc
  21st of Jul, 2009

My husband and I had a credit card go to collections...bad times!!! Anyway we began making small payments to several different collectors and we received a statement from Riddle Wood Attorneys at Law in PA, or UT ( not exactly sure) stating that we owed a 0 balance. My husband called to verify and a Steve Smith told him that, that couldn't be that there was no way. We asked for a fax number to send the statement to (THEIR) statement to show them that indeed it showed a 0 balance. The next morning I faxed over received confirmation that is was received and thought we would be good. Guess again. About 2 hours later my husband called me very upset and said that, that Steve just called his boss who then beeped my husband and transfered the call. Before my husband had a chance to even speak this Steve guys says "ohhhh I have verified your employment, your screwed now" . My husband tried to get a word in and to set up small arrangements and he just kept saying "YOUR SCREWED". He then calls me and it pisses me off, so I call their office and speak to Steve start off very pleasent and try to get to the bottom of this. Once he realizes that I am the wife of the man he just harrassed he continues in on me. Then ask to speak to his supervisor and he refused and hung up on me. I call back 3 times and try to speak with his supervisor each call speaking to someone different and each time I get hung up on. Tell me that there isn't something very, very wrong with this company. Where do you go or where do you call to get these ### in trouble?

To
  20th of Aug, 2009

These people have been calling my house non stop for weeks now, and when I finally spoke with someone, I told them that they needed to speak with my lawyer. The person on the other end of the phone said, "No no no! I'm speakin' wit u! Ain't no lawyer gonna help you now." So I promptly hung up. The person called back 4 more times in 5 min!!! I work for a lawyer, and these people my friends, do not run a law firm. Don't pay them a dime!!!

Pw
  3rd of Sep, 2009

i had direct tv for 3 months thru qwest communications and when they didn't honor thier $49.99 refund for thier dvr, i cancelled d-tv thru qwest and got comcast. Three months later i got a bill directly from direct tv for 2 months of service. i disputed it, called and had qwest fax them the proof that i had cancelled and paid my bill in full. this was in 2006, i started getting rude and threatening phone calls from riddle assoc. about 3 months ago, i tried to explain but they were not hearing me. today i look on my credit report and there it is, dropped my score 32 points. what can i do? help please. i'm on disability and can't afford to pay this again.

Rk
  16th of Sep, 2009

These people are driving me crazy. One man told me it was my funeral. I dont know what to do.

Re
  24th of Oct, 2009

I now receive a DAILY(!) phone message (from an unidentified caller ID) from someone claiming to represent the law firm of Riddle and Wood. They claim to be collecting a debt and ask me to call them at 1-800-225-5050 about reference number '24546827'. They provide a recorded name at the start of the message which is NOT mine and then - at the end of the recorded message - have the temerity (and illogic) to ask me to stop listening if I am not the same as the recorded message. This last phrase is, of course, meaningless, because their poorly programmed auto-dialer has no way of knowing this information.
The whole thing feels like a high-school fraud so I do not feel comfortable about calling them. When I see others in the same position, I am convinced that the operation is indeed unethical if not illegal.
Any hope of getting them to stop calling?

Kn
  24th of Oct, 2009

rex1942,
These people called for my husband and i pushed 0 and the office was closed. after reading all i am about this company i'm not givng them anything.i'm a collector myself and a company cannot misrepresent them selves as a law office since they arent.threatening you is against the law.you can contact the attorney general and file a report with them. a company like that wont do anything most likely this i such a old debt that it is already on your credit reprt and out of stats s nothing can happen to you.these people are ### with empty threats.dont let them bother you. get a fax # and write them a ceist and deseist letter and make yur self a copy. hopes this helps a little.

Kz
  30th of Oct, 2009

these people are ### company cannot misrepresent them selves as a law office since they arent.I am convinced that the operation is indeed unethical if not illegal tell me that there isn't something very, very wrong with this company this company is very rude and not professional at all!It's fraudulent, a disgrace, and they should be sanctioned.

Ma
  6th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have been receiving calls on my cell phone for a debt? I gave them my name and number to confirm that I don’t owe them. They confirmed a month ago I was the wrong person and that they would remove my number. Surprise they didn’t. I answered a blocked call today to only get the rudest person ever I told them what was going on to stop calling me, he hung up on me. I called four more times to get another person to only get hung up on again.
I called the Federal Trade Commission 1-877-382-4357 the gentleman was very helpful. He told me to send a letter to the “law firm” stating the complaint. He told me it had to say cease communication on it and to signature mail it to them.

Call our toll-free helpline: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)

Mandy

Na
  12th of Nov, 2009

I just receive a call from this Riddle & Assoc (aka Riddle/Wood) saying that owe $57.00 and I spoke to Mr. Jet. This person is a complete idiot the way he talks to people. This fool will not give me a change to ask for proof of the money that I owe. They had the wrong address for me in Florida because I live in TX. I must day that Mr. Jet is one of these people are ### the company cannot misrepresent them selves as a law office since they arent.I am convinced that the operation is indeed unethical if not illegal tell me that there isn't something very, very wrong with this company this company is very rude and not professional at all!It's fraudulent, a disgrace, and they should be sanctioned.

Ma
  17th of Nov, 2009

I feel so much better now that I've read these complaints. Our phone calls started about 2 months ago about an old DirectTV bill that had been satisfied with DirecTv and closed. Its not even on my credit report. Their "schtick" is that they talk fast, they throw the very few, and often incorrect, facts that they have about you in your face and don't let you get a word in edgewise. They do not want to hear you speak. The scam (which I'm sure it is, and I'm sure most of you are convinced that it is too) is that they get you all upset talking about lawsuits and credit scores going down that if you don't absolutely 100% take care of this bill right now, it'll ruin your life FOREVER. They make it dramatic and mortal. Their ultimate goal is for you to give them SOME piece of financial information over the phone so that they can then go screw you over for good. DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY ANYTHING. Every time they call, I laugh, tell them I'm not doing anything. They actually told me that I had a hearing coming up. I never got served with papers, so I wasn't taking him serious. These people will tell you anything to get the information from you and they are extremely rude and unprofessional and how they think anybody would take them seriously, I don't know. Laugh at them, that's all you can do. If anyone has their address, I would love to write them a letter. Something nice, and thoughtful, along with telling them to cease and desist. Please send it along. Thanks!

Ch
  2nd of Dec, 2009

Absolutely the most unprofessional organization I have ever dealt with. They call my cell constantly for the previous person who had the number. I have asked 7 times to be removed from their call list, each time they state they will and then they call again. They played games pretending to find wallets, etc. all in an attempt to find a person that I have no contact with. Today after being hung up on by 2 different associates, I was referred to the manager: JOE CONNER at extension 7392. I suggest you call him first.

Do
  22nd of Dec, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

after being hung up on repeatedly, being harassed on sunday evening at 5:10pm this last weekend, i called the FTC. they are filing a complaint, gave me a reference number, and are sending me mail. they also suggested i file with my state's consumer complaints association ( 1-800-282-0515) and i am doing so as i type. this call was in regard to my EX husband's bills, we have been divorced over 6 years now. i dont really have contact with him, but it appears, as though it is an issue between him and direct tv (noticed the theme in above responses too) i am tired of this crap, just because MY last name is the same and MY phone is listed (his isnt) I WILL NOT STOP TILL THIS CRAP DOES! I AM SENDING THEM A CERTIFIED LETTER THEY HAVE TO SIGN FOR AND TELLING THEM HE IS NOT AT THIS ADDRESS AND A LETTER FROM MY LANDLORD STATING SUCH FACT. IF THEY CONTINUE, I WILL DO MY BEST TO RETAIN A LAWYER AND MAKE SURE THESE ### STOP HARASSING PEOPLE... CAN YOU SAY CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT????

Te
  4th of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I returned the phone call from Riddle and Wood. The representative would not give me the mailing address or fax number to show them that collection efforts for Direct TV had been discontinued. Instead, my call was transferred to a voice message.

I am filing a complaint with the FTC.

Ho
  7th of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree +2 Votes

Here is some info on them:

They've called my house # twice in two days asking for my ex on my voice mail. I've been divorced for 10 years and have a different name!!!

Ri
  22nd of Jan, 2010

Thank God for 800 reverse look up. It took me a few different sites to find them but I came across this one. I thought I was the only one to be honest. These "guys" have been calling me since September. They even call me on SUNDAY!!! I get the hang ups. I also get the guys that scream at me. You owe this and are responsible. We WILL collect. This is your very last warning. I would say I want to speak to your supervisor because you will not continue to speak to me this way. They have threatened me with court, credit scores, garnishment of my possessions, jail and etc. I had DirectTV 6 years ago or so. I even filed bankruptcy. WTF? I called the FTC and they took a complaint today. They also sent me an email. Because I did get ONE nice man who treated me like a human being I made the mistake of paying something on the bill. I didn't realize it was one that was covered in my Bankruptcy. Now for this the FTC suggests that I close my checking account that I have had for over 8 years and open a new one. This is just not FAIR. My banking institution is filing a protection against my account making sure they do not take out any unauthorized money in the future. They are excellent at browbeating. Mr. Douglas even asked me if I had recorded the last conversation because they do record them. I informed him perhaps he should pull it up and have a listen. I demanded a supervisor he replied No you are dealing with me now. I gave the phone to my husband because I was about to crack. There has to be more that can be done to stop them. How do they even HAVE direct tv's billing information anyway? Did direct tv tell anyone how this company became it's collection agency? The quote "I work for the lawyers is CRAP" Any information would be much appreciated here. Thanks

Ri
  26th of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I just received a call from Nicholas White at Riddle & Wood. I told him that I was not who he's looking for and asked him for his name. He stated "why would you need that if you don't know Mr. M". I said to I can report you if you call me again. He very rudely told me that if I had listened to him, he took my number off the system and I won't get any more calls. You bet I won't. After reading all the notes above I went to the BBB in Utah and got the contact information for the company. If I get another call like this one, and judging from the previous posts I will. I'm going to follow Mandy's advise and send a letter to the company. The BBB gives their full address and phone numbers. If that fails, the FTC is next. Thank you to every one who's posted here, so that it makes it a little easier for the rest.

BBB in Utah:

FTC:
Toll-free helpline: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357)