Restaurant.comunauthorized issuance of gift certificate

restaurant.com issued gift certificates without my knowledge. I called them and they said they would take care of it. They did not. People come in and use there certificates to get free food. I try not to turn these people away as that is bad business. Restaurant.See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in Raleigh, NCcom is a morally bankrupt business. The only people benefitting are the people who take the money. I am sure when people are told that we do not take the coupons they feel bad. Either way people feeling bad is a no win for everyone. Restaurant.com's business model does not work.

Th
Jan 10, 2015

Comments

• Su
      Mar 27, 2008
    Restaurant.com - unauthorized use of account
    restaurant com Inc.
    Pennsylvania
    restaurant.com

Cancelled within two dayson site and by phone. Still charged $40.00 to my account. I am reporting thses people to the state attorney general.

• Ca
      Nov 27, 2008

You should have notified your credit card company of your problem. Typically, the credit card company would have credited the amount back to your card; atleast ours does...Restaurant.Com would than have either contacted you or been out the money.

• Lu
      Jan 31, 2009

Hello
    Do you read terms and conditions before you check out on any online company? I sure do. If you read the terms that were listed at check out on restaurant.com, as well as under 'terms' at the bottom of their website, and one each individual restaurants' site within the restaurant.com website, you would have seen that there is no cash back, which is why your order was not 'cancelled'. Seems to me like someone just doesn't like to read before entering a credit card online, which is stupid!

• Pi
      Apr 01, 2009

Beware of items you might be buying that offer a discount card from restaurant.com. They are a big SCAM..coupons offered for you favorite restaurant on there site...that says...more coupons coming on the 1st. of the month is an outright lie! The coupons will never be offered...so your gift card you received is just about worthless unless you use it for some off the wall place that you don't want to use it for. Again..Buyer Beware..SCAM..SCAM...SCAM...SCAM!

• Wi
      Jun 06, 2009

@luv2complain... you totally work for Restaurant.com, please shut up now.

• Mo
      Jan 17, 2010

Their website is very difficult to navigate, but I purchased $400 worth of coupons and have used many of them successfully and given many as gifts, also used successfully. If you already have a restaurant-specific coupon, you should be able to use it without the need to check back. I believe those check-back restaurants only offer a certain number of them per month and have most likely run out for that month. But again, if you already have chosen that restaurant and have alreday paid for it, there's no reason you can't use it. Just print out your certificate. I hope that helps...

• La
      Mar 12, 2010

Okay, well maybe luv2complain (should be luv2bashthosewhocomplain) works for restaurant.com, but let's listen to what he's saying about company policy. Basically: you buy, you pay. No refunds, even five minutes after purchase. A lot of companies treat their customers better than that, but as long as the website clearly states their policy then it's buyer beware, and we can choose to use the service or not.

In fact, though, the part he quotes ("no cash back") does NOT clearly state that there will be no refunds. I have read that several times and what it means to me is that, if you do not use the full amount of the coupon, you can't get the rest of it back in cash. Isn't that what the term usually means?

• Re
      Oct 24, 2010
    Restaurant.com - Big Scam
    Evansville
    Indiana

I bought a "certificate" from restaurant.com for Eclipse Spanish Tapas Restaurant in Evansville, IN. When I went to pay the bill, the waitress said they do not accept the "certificate." So, I bought a "certificate" that I can't even use. I wish I knew how to get my money back! What a SCAM!!! Restaurant.com and Eclipse Spanish Tapas Restaurant are both to blame...

• Jb
      Jan 22, 2011

The restaurant is never to blame. Restaurant.com knowingly sells certificates to restaurants that don't want to be listed on their sight. I'm almost 100% sure that restaurant.com knew that the Tapas establishment requested to be removed from their websight.

• Mi
      Feb 04, 2011

You should've read the terms and conditions. No refunds is no refunds. Calling the attorney general for $40 that you DID authorize then for whatever reason changed your mind is ridiculous. You agreed to the charge when you filled out your credit card info. Rules are rules, even if they suck. I don't work for restaurants.com, it just angers me when people think that they are above whatever policies companies have in place.

• Ri
      Jun 26, 2011

Hi, sorry to disagree. I own a restaurant in California.
    After thorough calculations, we lost $14.50 out of our pockets for a $25 gift certificate.
    The meal is worth $35 which is $24.50 in raw material and labor. We only get $10 back from spending $24.50

We hoped to be on restaurant.com so it could bring in new customers which will come back and pay full price. It doesn't work like that.

Turns out everyone who used the GC will always come in with one, and some of our regulars who found out about GC would go on and purchase one. We have lost $2, 356 so far in participating with this site. Not from profit, from our pocket. Their staff told us we could raise the minimum, but when I called we can't. They said we can opt out the program in 90 days. We called, no one answered. We emailed, no one answered. So we posted on the page that we won't accept any certificates after 6/24.
    The next day that message was removed and they changed our site password.

I just wanted customers to understand what restaurants are going through. No restaurant is making ANY money from these certificate. They sit back and get paid when you buy their GC. But we have to work hard to get the dishes served to you.

• Co
      Jul 02, 2011
    Restaurant.com - not living up to agreement
    Connecticut

This company falsely represents themselves. They invite you to sign your restaurant up for their promotion and then they tell you you can cancel at any time. This is completely false. They will not cancel without a waiting period. Buyer beware. This company will be out of business soon.

Jul 27, 2011
    Restaurant.com - No customer service for the restaurant
    New York

Once the certificate producers have your restaurant signed up they will not let you out of the contract. 'Regulars' use them regularly and there is no benefit to the restaurant. They change the terms at will so customers do not have any limit to the way they use them. Don't get involved!

• Gl
      Oct 19, 2011
    Restaurant.com - worthless coupons
    Nampa
    Idaho

Restaurant.com sells "gift certificates" (actually money-off coupons) for restaurants that do not honor them, because (they say) they did not sign up for the offer. My only alternative is to take the loss or trade the coupons for another equally worthless one.

• Mi
      Nov 21, 2011
    Restaurant.com - Stay away from these guys
    restaurant.com

I own a restaurant and these people are issuing more coupons then stipulated i will no longer accept any and will gladly reimburse to the patron the original amount paid.

• Un
      Dec 19, 2011

Your slips to God's ear!!

• Un
      Dec 19, 2011

Sorry! Should read, "Your lips to God's ear!"

• Wa
      Mar 29, 2012

The food in this restaurant is a grade D. They not serve the exact food that is on the menu.
    The service is fair. It is located in a tourist town so they can get away with it for awhile.

• Wa
      Mar 29, 2012

"Steamers Restaurant" located in North Lake Tahoe King Beach, Ca The food in this restaurant is grade D. They do not serve the exact food that is described on the menu. The service is fair.
    Located in a tourist town, do not waste your dollars.

May 22, 2012
    Restaurant.com - I will never buy from here again
    restaurant.com

I purchased a coupon for a restaurant, was asked to buy more food. The dinner was $47 for my daughter and me (for chicken and rice). I will never buy from here again.

• Bi
      Dec 20, 2012
    Restaurant.com - Don't risk your money
    restaurant.com

Don't risk your money. I bought a discount coupon for a local restaurant, then when I went to use it found out the restaurant the coupon was for had gone under 6 months earlier and was under new management. Asked for my money back from Restaurant.com but never heard from them.

• Kd
      Apr 04, 2013
    Restaurant.com - illegal sale of certificates
    restaurant.com

Certificates sold on their website are not valid. They sell certificates that restaurants did not authorized
    When asked they gave us the runaround clear indication of a substandard company