Residential email LLC / Fraudulent signup and bill

1 LaGrangeville, NY, United States Review updated:

At 4am this morning, while no one was using our computer or on the internet, I was enrolled in the residential email llc service for $ 14.95 per month plus fees and taxes to be billed to my telephone number. I did not request this service, I did not order this service and I do not want this service. When I called to cancel I refused to give them any information or verify that they had the correct information. I was given a long discussion of why I need a service I Did NOT sign up for. Eventually it was canceled, but only after my having to yell at them and threaten to have my lawyer contact them, which I may still do. The confirmation that I enrolled in this service was sent to one email address that I have and use regularly, but the cancellation notice was sent to an email address that I rarely use. I did not give my information out to anyone and never do, so I am very upset that I was enrolled into a service that I never requested. In the mean time I have contacted my telephone provider to be sure that this fraudulant charge is not posted to my phone bill.

Ge

Comments

• Ka
      2nd of Feb, 2009

I don't even own a computer of any kind and I had the $14.95 charges plus $1.01 in taxes on my phone bill and I have no idea how it got there. When I called the 800# listed on my phone bill, I asked them to cancel the service and tell me how I got charged for this. She gave me a person's name that ordered it and I have no clue who it is. I told her the charges better not show up again. I notified my phone provider of the error. We'll see what shows up on next month's bill.

• Cr
      3rd of Feb, 2009
    Residential email LLC - Fraudulent enrollment
    Residential Email LLC
    Lincolnton
    North Carolina

My mother-in-law just noticed fraudulent charges of $14.95 for email on her residential AT&T bill from Residential Email LLC that originated in January 2009. We called Residential Email LLC and discovered that the person who created the account filled out a form on http://www.searchcactus.com. Apparently, on searchcactus.com people are paid to sign up for offers from Residential Email LLC and other companies. All they need is a phone number, name and address, and date of birth. Whoever signed up for this account did use my mother-in-law's name, correct address and her actual phone number, all of which was information available from the phone book. Residential Email LLC apparently does not make any attempt to verify the charges with the actual customer. They apologized and told us that the charges would be reversed and account will be closed. We'll be putting a block on her AT&T account to ensure that this does not happen again. It's hard to believe that companies like this one continue to exist when they are obviously a huge scam. Who in their right mind would actually pay $14.95 a month for email when you can get free email accounts all day from Google, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.?

Thank you for this site and a chance to vent.

• Bi
      17th of Mar, 2009
    Residential email LLC - Fraudulent enrollment and charges
    Residentail Email LLC
    Palos Hills
    Illinois

Our phone was enrolled in Residentail Email LLC, with out our knowledge. When we got our bill, it was $16.07 with the tax higher then it always is, we do not use our phone much, after I called them they told me I had enrolled for there voice mail and service. They also told me I had a new name, What a surprise that was. To made a long story short they did take the charge off after I told them I have eveything blocked on my phone all the 900 numbers, long distance, and I do have slammen also. Now the phone company put on a 13 cent late charge after I called them and they said they could do nothing! I guess slammen and blocked numbers mean nothing! So they told me they will take it off but only one time will they take off a late charge. Late charge for what! SBC must be in on this from what I have been reading. Watch your phone bills every month! Us customers get the raw deal no matter what.

• Cl
      7th of May, 2009
    Residential email LLC - Fraud Charges Email ATT
    Residential Email LLC
    SantaRosa
    California

Noticed a charge on my AT&T bill for Residential Email LLC Charges. They have been happening over 3 months (like I would not notice). They said my daughter who is 12 opened the account (yet they don't open accounts to minors). Gave me a sales pitch and then I got really mad. Told them they better give me back all my money immeditately they said they would but who knows... Two or three billing cycles. Then today my daughter received free baby forumula... great 12 and needs baby forumula. They say the check everything with a mother's maiden name and birthdate. No I don't think they do. None of the info was right.

• Cu
      1st of Jun, 2009

Residential Email provides its subscribers with the opportunity to earn exclusive discounts and cash back on every purchase while shopping through our service. We market the service on the Internet and continuously review our marketing and sign-up procedures and believe that they comply with all applicable laws and industry standard best practices.

We maintain excellent customer service 24 by 7 by 365 and you can reach us via phone at 800-430-6314 or online at http://www.residentialemail.com/support.cfm

I’m confident we can address any customer service concerns you may have.

Residential Email Customer Service

• Bs
      7th of Jul, 2009

exact same thing happened we should file class action on both att and residential email

• Lu
      4th of Sep, 2009

I got charged $9.25 by Residential Services, LLC on my AT&T bill. I called AT&T to ask what was up and they said that this was a separate company and they could do nothing about it. I thought to ask if I could have 3rd party billing turned off on my account. The operator said yes and was able to do it. If it's so easy to block 3rd party billing, why isn't that the default? Does AT&T not care about its customers?

I called the number of the service and waited on hold for about ten minutes before being sent to voicemail. I left a message but then called back at another number offered in the greeting (866.474.1256) and after about five minutes on hold spoke to an operator. I started off just by asking for an explanation of the service and how I got signed up for it. I never got an explanation of the service, but was eventually told that someone named "Lona" signed me up for the service. I don't know anyone named Lona. But before I even learned about Lona, the operator started off saying that the service had already been canceled and that I wouldn't be billed again. This was before I even asked her to cancel it. Creepy.

I also had to ask her three times about the $9.25 I'd already been billed and was I responsible for that amount? The first two times she just told me I wouldn't be billed again. Finally she said that a credit would be issued next month. We'll see.

Other people have had similarly sketchy interactions with them: http://cryingflysoup.blogspot.com/2009/04/enhanced-services-billing-residential.html

I'm not feeling the "best practices" here.

• Be
      26th of Feb, 2011
    Residential email LLC - service not requested
    West Milford
    New Jersey

Sudden increase in phone bill charges. Checked the invoice online. There was a charge for $14.95 + taxes from Residential Email. I immediately called the billing question/cancellation number and was told that because they had my correct name, address, email address & BIRTH DATE!!, they could not issue a credit for the charges already incurred. They could only cancel the subscription and block my number from being billed again. The day that they say I signed up for it was a Tuesday afternoon at 3:30. Our business's busiest day is Tuesday and there had been a blizzard the day before. There is no way that I was home by 3:30 on a Tuesday.