Reportage RGA / Fraud

1 23rd Street & 6th AveNew York, NY, United States Review updated:

On Sat, Feb 21st '09. I was walking on 23rd Street and 6th Ave when a man (in his thirties) driving an expensive SUV with a thick Italian accent stopped me to ask for directions to EWR airport.

He first asked for directions and then asked me the size of my jacket which I found odd. He went on to explain that and he was a designer and was in NYC for the first time on work. He said he just finished an exhibition at the Jacob Javitz Center and was heading to the Airport. He had these three leather jackets that his employer had given him and which he didnt want to carry back to avoid the VAT in Italy. He asked if I could help him and buy the three jackets for $700.

I told him I had no money but he was persistent... (at which point I should have just walked away) I still ended up going to my ATM and landed giving him $250 for those three jackets.

As soon as he got the money, he sped off and I just knew I had been conned. On examining the jackets further, I discovered there were only Reportage RGA jackets and not Armani as he earlier claimed amongst all the other lies he gave me.

I am extremely pissed at myself for not having been more cautious. While I was buying this off him, I felt like I was helping out a foreigner in our country and so should help him. I also thought if I didnt like them, they would yet make good gifts or atleast I could sell them and make my money. Now that I checked the Internet and discovered that several people have been similary conned, I dont even feel like gifting them to anyone else.

Please beware and if you notice the s*cker around, try and get his number plates and hand the dude over to the police.

Ji

Comments

Na
  20th of Mar, 2009

I live in Medellín, Colombia and I had the same experience with an italian accented guy, named Enrico who showed me his passport and told me the same story. I buy 4 jackets in US$239. Afterward I realized in the Internet that there are a lot of guys around the word cheating people with this same story, all Italians. I am so angry that if I see him again I knock him off. It is very frustraiting to be cheated and more when trying to help others thinking they are honest people like you and me.

Da
  2nd of Apr, 2009

ladronesssssss

Sw
  18th of Jul, 2009

Back to Top for others to see.
Thanks for the warning and I agree with Davi: Ladrones!

Bo
  20th of Jan, 2010

I saw the same guy here in Galveston Iland.He told the same exact thing.Sold me 1 for $60 asking for 700 for all 3.He is in a white suv.On 1-20-10 around 4:30pm.

Ha
  5th of Jul, 2010

i am happy to know that i am not the only one who fell for this!! i am 17 and dont make a lot of money and some italian son of a b**** tricked me into buying three jackets for 100 dollars!!! WE NEED TO LET PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THIS SO WHEN IT HAPPENS TO SOMEONE THEY CAN CATCH THEM!!!

Vx
  12th of Nov, 2010

Hello that just happen to me he told me the same story he was going to the airport and didn't want to take the jackets back with him. He also said they had a large show in the Austin convention center. He is driving a small SUV beige and he claims he's Italian. 11/12/2010..

Za
  19th of Dec, 2010

this same thing just happened to mee... i got 4 jackets for 100 dollers... i dnt think its too bad ... 20 something odd bucks for an imitation.. Not tooo badd... but still sucks their fake ...

Ta
  30th of Dec, 2010

Damn...I feel so stupid...I gave the guy $500 for these garbage recently. I wish I read these comments earlier

Kp
  27th of Jan, 2011

me cogio tambien este maricon, yo lo cojo y les aviso focking italiano descarado, me comio con la muela

Ju
  26th of Feb, 2011

Damn it just happened to me 6 hrs ago in toronto, canada, same story he was driving a jeep suv i gave him $60 for the jacket

Am
  24th of Mar, 2011

Hello everyone,
Today on March 22, 2011 a guy with Italian accent reached me at 98th and Fifth Avenue and asked for direction to Airport. Then he said he has Georgia Armani jackets and he wants to avoid taxes at airport. So he offered me to buy everything for $1, 000. I bought 3 jackets for $250 and went to ATM. He said these are Georgia Armani jackets. But they are actually Faux leather jackets and I found out that this is a fraudulant activity. I wish I had read all these posts by you before. That is why I am sharing it.

To
  11th of Apr, 2012

Dubai
I also got conned by this artist in Dubai! I've done quite a lot of research on the web and found out a lot about it!
It's not 1 person operating alone, there's a gang of 20 to 30 people operating this scam in the UAE for the past 6 years (members of the Mafia). They are originally from Naples, holding fake identities/addresses and they've been searched internationally as they have criminal history in other countries where the scam reached higher levels. They remain in the UAE due to a lack of extradition treaties. This is just one of the many italian organized crimes that have been operated globally.

Organized Crime is nowdays the biggest business in Italy according to the Confesercenti authoritative report, it takes about $250 million/ day from retailers and businessmen. The UAE is an important crossroads for business, and as result, also for crime. These gangs normally mantain legitime business holdings worldwide that are offen used as a cover for their criminal operations.

Be aware of this scam! His name was Gaetano which is associated to a range of other scams worldwide. These people are extremely skilled and enjoy taking honest money from others! The best artists wear suit and tie, and the funny thing is that I recently saw the same guy on a maserati!

CHECK OUT THESE LINKS!