Rephen Law Firm / threats/lying/trying to extort money on paid debt

1 would not provideNew York, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 845-875-5208

I was contacted by Mark Cooper to call him immediately regarding a debt before further action was initiated. I called him back. He stated I owed money for a check that had not been paid. Stated check was written in June, they had spoke with me on August 18 and stated I said I would pay the check and had not done so. The check was paid, cleared my bank on August 19. Amount was paid to Cybrcollect to whom I owed the money. I tried to tell Mr. Cooper that it was paid. He would not let me speak, was horribly rude and threatening. He stated I now owed not only the original amount, but that I owed more. I asked several times how much I owed and he finally stated the amount. It was $150 more than the original amount. He said I would need to contact Cybrcollect, have them send a paid in full letter on their letterhead to him and that it needed to be taken care of by the next day. I asked him if he had Cybrcollect's phone number for me to contact and he stated he could not give me the number to contact as it was attorney/client information. I do not understand how this firm continues to be allowed to do business with these type of tactics. To threaten people who have paid the debt, not allow them to speak or obtain the information they need to resolve the matter with this company, and to come up with exaggerated, inflated, unsubstantiated fees is reprehensible. I am planning on reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commision, and the Attorney General of New York if I can ever find an address for this company. I may contact my attorney to see about legal action against them if the harassment continues. I hope anyone contacted by this firm
really follows up and does not fall victim to their tactics.

Ce

Comments

• We
      4th of Dec, 2008

This company has been harassing me for over a year. I am about at my wits end. I've decided that it's time I took some legal action as well. Maybe it will take a class action suit to get them to change there tactics. Debt collection isn't illegal but harassment and misrepresenting yourself is. I wish you the best here.

• Re
      1st of Aug, 2009

A debt collector claiming to be “Erica Shaw or Erica Shah, ” a “legal processor” from a “law firm” called “Rephen Law Firm” (which she purposely pronounced “Restin” to avoid identification online) has attempted to collect a debt she claims is $220 for a bounced check with the original amount of $70. Their phone number is 845-678-1296.

1) She refused to give information about the alleged “law firm.”
    2) She refused to give information about the original debt.
    3) She claimed the additional funds from the original debt amount were for their “processing fees” and interest.
    4) She threatened to take me to court, sue me and take legal action against me if I did not pay the debt and their “fees” in full with an unreasonable time limit.
    5) She refused to send the debt information in writing or on the law firm’s letterhead.
    6) She became irate, accused me of doing illegal activity, and became verbally abusive on the phone when I questioned the fees and requested the information in writing.
    7) She attempted to justify the fees under the “Uniform Commercial Code” and refused to tell me what part of it she was citing or how my state, FL, had adopted it.
    8) She became irate and refused to tell me the address where I could send them a letter requesting no contact.
    9) She said their only method of payment was Western Union and at first refused a payment plan I proposed. She eventually said yes to a payment plan but refused to offer any means by which to document the original debt or document my payments with receipts.

It is obvious from the overwhelming number of online complaints made to debt/credit complaint forums (e.g., /link removed/ pissedconsumer.com, etc.) that they are an illegitimate operation.

It also appears if they have set up a phony website to garner information from consumers threatened by them in order to appear legitimate: http://mharveyrephenlaw.com/.

I have reported them to the Federal Trade Commission and urge other consumers to do the same here: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en

14th of Aug, 2009

They are based out of Nyack, NY, near the TappanZee bridge based on a reverse lookup of their number.

Left a very hostile message on my voicemail (to the wrong person, oddly enough) so I looked them up.

• Li
      26th of Aug, 2009

i spoke to mr james adler from refen law firm..I WAS HARRASSED AND TOLD THAT HE LIVED IN A BEAUTIFUL HOUSE AND THAT IF I DIDNT pay the checks i owed that my four children would have to visit there mother in jail. The checks are to Walgreens and were written in 2006.I had another 60.00 check that i paid in july 243.00 for...for which I had to contact them to pay...they told me that they had sent me several letters regarding these issues..which I never received..they never sent me a full pay letter for the first check i paid and I never received anything after that. I told Mr Adler that I didnt appreciate the way he slandered my name because he didnt know me and he said that I didnt know him either..how convenient..and that he really didnt care.He told me that I stole merchandise from Walgreens and that the 150.00 fee for each check was so that walgreens could restock their shelves..and that the firm was previously paid for what they do and was not getting any of the money they collect..Maybe thats why their so angry!!!lol...anyway..Im going to pay the other two chks off w/o the fees until they can be verified and i will contact the affiliate group for their bad choice of third party collectors...There may be a law against that... them hiring a third party to collect on what they cant...any way it is refreshing to see that i am not alone with this..if any class action suit arises let me know..oh he also said my voice was recorded and when i asked him to play it back i got nothing...

• Jm
      18th of Mar, 2010

I have been harassed by them as well. If a class action suit gets filed. Count me in.

• Cr
      23rd of Mar, 2010

Same here (Ann Jones) contacted my wife about a few bad checks she had wrote in the past said she was from rephen law firm. My wife sent her over 1000 dollars and never got 1 piece of paperwork from her. She contacted my wife on her new cell phone about 1 week after she got it. But anyway I told my wife to stop sending her money until we got paperwork of proof of debt.

• Ke

21st of Jul, 2010

[censor]S!

• Ha
      22nd of Sep, 2010

I have had the SAME issues.

Not going to get into details but basically I just called the company that Rephen was stating I supposedly wrote a bad check to and they confirmed to me that they do not use Rephen Law Firm's services. THEY did not think that it was legit and that THEY were going to report them

• Fi
      11th of Dec, 2010

Thanks for posting all of the comments! I filed bankruptcy a year ago and part of my debt went to a company that sent a bill collector after me and he harassed me last year and when I gave him my attorney's phone number he even questioned her validity. He posed as a detective, called my place of employment and told them that I was going to prison for fraud, called my old neighbor and told her that I was wanted for embezzlement, etc. They must have turned this over to these a-holes. Now I will be sure not to return this call.

• Tr
      16th of Dec, 2010

same company, same threats. they have called me on and off for over a year. I called the company in concern and proved to them that they had missed a on-line payment that. they realized that they had been credited my payment to another account. when I told Sally Smith of Repneh (845-678-1286) this she told me I had to get a copy of a paid bill on the company's letterhead and send it to them. At this point, I laughed at her and told her that I had proof and truth on my side and I didn't really care what she or her company did.