Rentals For Retirement / Rip Off

1 PA, United States Review updated:

This company is a total rip-off. They lure you with "free" information and then pressure you into buying one of their properties at an inflated price so they can line their pockets.

Pb

Comments

• Re
      7th of Oct, 2009

I challenge you to attend a Rentals for Retirement seminar and make up your own mind. They do _not_ charge for their seminars where they teach you everything you need to know to become a hands on real estate investor. They do offer to perform the hands on work for you and fully disclose any fees associated with the value they provide. This is a turnkey real estate investing solution for those who want to build their real estate investment portfolio.

7th of Oct, 2009

I apologize for falsely accusing Rentals for Retirement. I was frustrated at the real scam artists in town. I agree, after checking them out myself, they are an honest bunch of guys who I would gladly do business with.

-pbab

• Ro
      1st of Mar, 2010

Rentals for Retirement is a poorly managed business. They claim that they can rehab a house in 3 months. My rehab has been in the works for coming up on 10 months with no end in site. I have lived up to my end of the agreement, have paid all draw payments on time. The last draw was due upon completion. I was told back in October that my property was nearing completion and that they needed the final draw. I sent it in and my property still isn't finished. I am at wits end with this company. They don't let me know what's going on, they don't answer or return my calls. Did they go out of business. What's next, the attorney general?

• Ru
      19th of Aug, 2010

These guys are such a rip off that they published a retraction by pbab who swears that he never wrote it. They are so dumb that the retraction even shows that it came from them. What a bunch a jerks.

I was ripped off by these guys too and would not believe a word they say. They are liars and thieves, and it's true that once you hire them they disappear and don't ever call you back. They are the worst kind of leeches that suck off an unsuspecting public by making all kinds of promises that they don't intend to keep. I hope they go to jail.

23rd of Aug, 2010

I found out today that thier other company mid atlantic Const. group is now bankrupt. they took me for about $20, 000. both of these guys live in the harrisburg Pa. area and I will start spreading the word to anyone who will listen about what kind of bottom feeders they are. I started a group on this site called rental for retirement if any one would care to join it we can compare notes and see what if anything we can do to try to get bak some of our money.

• We
      23rd of Aug, 2010

And now as of 8/22/10 we get this email from bob f-ing rankin "It is with much regret that we must inform you that effective immediately (August 22nd, 2010), Mid-Atlantic Construction Group, LLC is bankrupt and will no longer be able or available to assist with any properties. Below please find a list contractors who may be able to assist you;" What a bunch of thieves.

23rd of Aug, 2010

I got the same email bout them going bankrupt. Do they really think that I would use any one that they recomend to me now??? I will say this 5 Star Electric is being very good about helping me get my property done. They started the job and they said that they will get thier part of it done. I have a list of the electric, plumbing and HVAC contractors that worked on my house if it would help anyone. I assume that we all have our properties in Baltimore.

24th of Aug, 2010

Bob Rankin now claims to be working for his brother Jack at the Rankin Group.
    They sell and rent construction heating equipment.
    I believe they may have been partners in another failed business called Heart to Heart of America Franchise Corp. but I don't have all the info yet. I personally would not do business with either of them.

25th of Aug, 2010

How many of us are in this boat together? I sure feel pretty stupid. I have some questions about these fellows: Are they being sued or have they been in the past? If so in what state and for what? Can they be sued in Pa.? In what state are "Rentals for Retirement LLC" and "Mid-Atlantic Contruction Group LLC" registered? If anyone can help, I'd sure appreciate it. I set up a special email address just for this problem: "renforret@yahoo.com"

15th of Oct, 2010

I have a lawyer now, and he says we have a good chance of having the Attorney General being involved. If there are only 4 or 5 of us and the A.G. sees this as a "Wrongful Act", then he can brake the "Corporate Vail" that these frauds are hidding behind. Please respond to my email, ( renforret@yahoo.com) so we can make this right. Thanks

19th of Oct, 2010

I have just completed a transaction with these guys. It was sloppy from beginning to end. Poorly mismanaged. I am finding out now from other proffesionals (real estate agent, appraisers, property managers) that the property will not appraise for what was advertised. Will not rent for what was advertised, and that I paid far more than what the property is currently worth. For what it's worth, if you chose to work with them PLEASE proceed with extreme caution.

19th of Nov, 2010

Another victim here, I can't believe that something can't be done to stop these thieves and recoup some of our losses. Count me in to any group that is trying to make this right.

19th of Nov, 2010

JoesSmoe And Jorlyn, I have sent you a message on this board. Please view. I would like to contact you.
    Thanks.

• Tg
      30th of Nov, 2010

Wow! I am so sorry for all of you. I was just told about this company from someone else who was apparently ripped off as well. I would like to add my name and reputation to anyone who needs to complete (or start) any work on their properties. I am looking for honest opportunities as a project manager and have a list of subs that I manage. I have been in business for over 20 years. Ted Gattino, 240-375-4919

23rd of Mar, 2011

I guess we were lucky on a way. We bought two properties from these clowns. It took way longer to to complete them and we went through many contractors. And put way more $$ into them. Rankin kept leading us along.. but they are completed and rented.. Although the financing was a whole other issue..
    I know some that still have buildings that are not finished !! over a year later!!
    Anyone associated with these scam artists should be in jail
    Add us to the list if there is any way to file class action!!!

21st of Aug, 2012

I couldn't agree with the previous posters more. The 2 individuals who ran Rentals for Retirement and/or the Mid-Atlantic Construction group are major-league snake-oil salesmen. They got us for over $40, 000 in a rehab for a Baltimore property that was never completed (never really got much past demo, actually) and ended up being appraised for around 1/3 of what was told to us by these leaches. I did pursue legal action and ended up throwing good money after bad. Both of those entities officially went bankrupt leaving me on the verge of bankruptcy. If anyone has any other legal avenues to pursue against them, please let me know how to contact you. We have very good supporting documentation of the crap they pulled and would love to seem them get punished for their blatant lies and shoddy business practices.

21st of Aug, 2012

Surprised to see another complaint. Thought these guys were long gone by now. I also seeked legal counsel. Unfortunatley nothing can be done. Their contract is written (in the fine print) that they take no responsibility for the information provided on their "green sheets". I've tried getting class action together against these guys...but no one on this board ever follows up with me...too bad. I think a class action would have more merit than just one person complaining. It took me nearly 2 years to recoup my losses. I'm just now starting to break even. But it's the dream they really killed!