RentalCars.com / rentalcars.com and europcar unethical behaviour?

Nime, France

On Friday 15th evening (less than 24 hours before collection) I booked a car online with Rentalcars.com for a hire for Peugeot 308 from Nimes Station from July 16th to July 28th to be dropped at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport. They confirmed booking with Europcar.

On 16th at 13:00 when I went to collect the car the lady at Europcar refused to accept my international driving licence. This is licence that has been used before and since for hire of cars in Europe with absolutely no problems. When she refused my international driving licence I then offered for my wife to be the driver and she had original driving licence which the lady also refused saying she needed to produce an international driving licence as well.

No good reason was given and basically the lady told us she cannot give us a car and she will also not cancel the booking and we were liable to pay 100% cancellation fee. Zero discussion or assistance. They hid behind a clause in their terms and conditions in order to keep the Euro 650 when they provided no product and no service.

I tried to call the Rentalcars.com emergency no given on the voucher (+[protected]) and the Europcar emergency no (+34 [protected]) both numbers put me onto answering phones where I stayed on hold for over 45 mins without being put through to consultant that I would talk to about problem.

In the end I went to Hertz office next door and rented a car for 2 days to enable me to begin my holiday and get my family (wife and two young kids) to the house in Southern France. Earlier in the holiday we rented car with Enterprise Car hire with no problem and now I am hiring with Hertz with no problem on the very same licence refused by Europcar.

On the day of the hire I was been in touch with two consultants online through Rentalcars.com on line chat line. Both confirmed they would have someone look into this and get back to me but since the incident no one has called me or emailed me to offer to assist with the problem.

If they don't want to hire me a car they reserve the right to refuse. However they do not reserve the right to keep the full payment of Euro 650 paid for the full hire because of their refusal to hire a car when other companies are happy to.

I have hired many cars across Europe and South and East Africa on the very same licence Europcar refused. How can they be selective to my detriment when others are more than happy with my licence and my business. I am now out of pocket and had to hire another car from another firm and cannot even discuss problem with Rentalcars.com or Europcar as neither of them will talk to me or discuss the problem rationally.

To