Rental market in Singapore / Discrimination against Indians

1 Singapore Review updated:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have recently relocated from Hong Kong and permanently employed with Morgan Stanley Asia Ltd. This email is regarding my experience with the rental market in Singapore. Kindly excuse me if I have marked it to the wrong department and if needed guide me to the correct authorities.

I have recently tried to rent flats in the Newton/Novena area and have been told by the Agents that the Landlord doesn't want any Indians. If the incident would have happened at a couple of places, I could have understood that it might be due to a bad prior experience. But it seems to be very common in the mentioned area and has some racist undertones to it. I believe Singapore is one of the best countries to live in for expats and the government would take all the necessary steps to ensure that such kind of discrimination doesn't flourish. It is my sincere request that the authorities take appropriate action to bring this to end

Comments

• Fz
      22nd of Mar, 2010

please avoid this rental agent from REMAX named Triston. He is a liar, who made empty promises and back out of the deal after he made both parties compromised and convinced the owner to chose his client above all other prospective tenants. he is only profit seeking, while make various claims that he is fine to collect the agent fee from the tenant he represents, and make many calls to pester the owner to pay him commission as well, failing which he cancel the deal. He is plain greedy, unethical and do not mind profiting on others' loss.

• Ba
      11th of Jun, 2010

Welcome to Singapore... Supposedly there is racial harmony and its a global city.. Frankly its a first world city buildings with third world mentality..There is institutional favouritism shown towards chinese majority and vilifying minorities ... Good luck if you can survive and work in servitude. Been there tolerated it for one year and got out as quickly as I can.