Rental Car / Scam

United States, Florida, Orlando
Economy Rent A Car
I just returned from Orlando and had the same horrible experience with Economy Rent A Car. First of all when we got to the airport in Orlando and tried calling them to pick us up, the phone rang and rang and no one answered. Finally after about 15 minutes of waiting the phone was answered and we were told a shuttle would come. It did but we waited a very long time for it. When we got to Economy Car Rental I was informed the vehicle I reserved was not available and they wanted to substitute it for a smaller one. I had five adults and five big suitcases so I said no, that won't work. They told me that the vehicle I reserved was out and never came back. Funny how a car rental place only has ONE SUV??? So I had to agree to take the smaller car. Then he asked if I wanted their insurance and I said no, I have my own. He said he needed to see my insurance card. I did not have it on me and he said if I did not produce it I would have to take their insurance. So I told him I could call my agent and have her fax over a copy of my card. He said they did not accept faxes. So then I told him I would have her e-mail it to him and he could print it off. He said they did not accept e-mails either. Seriously? Then he said the insurance would be $25 a day. I refused to pay it and walked next door to Advantage Car Rental and rented my SUV for the same price and they did not have to see my insurance card and did not require me to get their car insurance. Advantage told me on a normal day they get 4 to 8 people walk over from Economy and rent cars from them. Economy is a huge rip off and something needs to be done to stop this practice as it just keeps happening over and over. I plan on logging my complaint where ever I can to warn other people NOT TO USE THEM!
Jun 11, 2015