Rent A Center / harassment

1 4735 W Cermak Rd,Cicero,Il 68084Cicero, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 708-652-1400

My husband and I were evacuated out of New Orleans 10 days after Hurricane Katrina "dropped in" on us. In order to keep track of FEMA, locate missing people and a lot of other horrible things due to the hurricane - My husband rented a computer from a "Rent A Center. Due to the fact that we lost everything we had no other financial choice but to use this odious business. At the time we rented the computer my husband had found employment thus NO GOVRNMENT FUNDS WERE USED TO RENT THE COMPUTER. Up until recently our payment was always made on time. Since the economic situation has changed drastically there have been times when we had to request that a late payment be excepted ALONG WITH LATE PAYMENT FEES!
The Rent A Center was kind enough to simply waive one payment. The minute we are a day late WE ARE HARRASSED UNTO DEATH!! ONE OF THE PERSONNEL EVEN CAME AND POUNDE LOUDLY NON-STOP FOR WELL OVER A HALF HOUR COMPLETELY IGNORING THAT WE LIVE IN AN APT AND THAT HE WAS DISTURBING OTHER TENENTS!!! A NEIGHBOR TOLD ME ABOUT THIS AND HE TIMED THE LENTH OF THE PONDING ON OUR DOOR> I was not home at the time or obviously I would have answered the door! THIS COMPANY HARRASSESS PEOPLE NOT STOP! IT IS LIKE DEALING WITH THE GESTAPO! THEY ARE HORRIBLE!! The business should be renamed "RENT A NAZI"!! There is a lot more but I can't possibly begin to fit all of it in this msg. When I looked up Rent A Centers on the Internet I was astounded at the countless law suits, complaints, and a lot of "scams pulled by this sorry excuse for a company NATION WIDE!! NEVER AGAIN would we even consider getting within 5 miles or more of a RENT A CENTER!!! CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

G. Gordon

Comments

• Un
      15th of Sep, 2009

SEEMS LIKE RENT A DICK GETS OFF TO HARRASMENT EXPECIALLY THE LITTLE PEOPLE YOU ### WINDOW WARRIOR ###

• Un
      15th of Sep, 2009

i THINK THEY TELEPHONE TOUGHGUYS

• Ms
      26th of Dec, 2009

I complately agree except they started with me on the day that my payment was due to them and still have not stoppped it hasnt even been the 15 days that you have to pay them

• Fr
      18th of Oct, 2010

RAC TREATS THEIR EMPLOYEES HORRIBLY, IN TURN CAUSING THE BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU ALL RECEIVE. THEY ENCOURAGE THEIR EMPLOYEES TO HARRASS THE CUSTOMERS FOR THE MERCHANDISE OR THE PAYMENT. OFTEN THREATNING THEIR JOBS IF QUOTAS ARE NOT MET! THEY ARE A SORRY EXCUSE FOR A COMPANY, BEWARE JOB SEEKERS AND CONSUMERS!

• Th
      5th of Dec, 2010

When you rent from rent a center, you pay for your services in advance. If you fail to make a payment, it is someones sole responsibility to recover your merchandise before the weeks end. Failure to recover a certain amount of past due accounts can result in termination. You sign an agreement before the merch. Enters your home. EVERY SINGLE PERSON COMPLAINING ABOUT RENT A CENTER, DID NOT PAY THEIR BILL.

• Th
      7th of Dec, 2010

The only reason to use rent a center is because u have bad credit. Why else would ANYONE even consider paying quadruple retail price? Youre someone who has abused financial obligations in the past. I used to believe that it was morally and ethically wrong but now I feel like im helping grown [censor] people become more responsible. Its a pity. Ill teach you what your mommy and daddy didnt. Pay ur debt. Rent a center will not be the next company that
    YOU screw over.

• Wa
      12th of May, 2011

I bought furniture from RAC, about 10, 000.00 dollars worth. I have paid one package off and only owe 2, 000.00 dollars. I have recently been laid off and my husbands hours have been cut, I always make my payments, they are sometimes late but always paid. RAC-Rent a center reps call and harrass me making threats, they call my parents in Ohio, my daughter in abingddon and show up at my house making threats, I have tried to work with them with no avail, I can't take the harrassment anymore. I will never use this company again nor will I refer anyone to them. I want them to leave me alone and let me pay off my merchandise. They will not work with anyone.

• Da
      14th of Jun, 2011

In response to" that guy" it is true that most people rent because of poor credit. But my husband used them to actually gain credit, as I am now. I rent a couch from them... the overall price is around 1800(that's 90 day same as cash being around $900), but the same couch from ashley was actually more. Im half way done paying it off, and love the couch, and my credit score has gone up... now I did miss one payment by one day, was supposed to pay saturday, and I had to pull a long shift and got off right as they closed. I figured no big deal, I will drop by after work monday, but monday morning they called me on my cell, and I cannot answer at work as its left in my vehicle... I then get a frantic call through my work line from my husband, he said" some lady and a man are here trying to take the couch" I told him not to let them in since for goodness sake I was one day late! I called them on my lunch, and she demanded payment over the phone or they would return later that night for the couch, in which I questioned why they acted this way when all my payments where made on time, and often a week or more before! She said that it didn't matter, I was late, and that ment I was just like everyone else... I refused the card payment over the phone fearing they would take my card info and cause major issues. I went down tuesday(my day off) and talked with the manager, and asked him if indeed, he wanted the couch back, a used couch that most people don't have room for since it was so big(sectional w/ chaise) he apologized and said they should not have even called, and definently not show up at my home since he did not issue the" repo" to be done. Since then I had an issue with them calling my grandmother trying to reach me when I wasn't even late, and was actually ahead 2 weeks. Credit from them might not be worth all the headaches.