[Resolved] Renaultfalse advertising: advertised audio feature not provided in newly bought sandero

In May 2015 I purchased a new Renault Sandero Turbo Exxpression from Renault South Africa.
The advertised audio system for this vehicle was the same as the audio system for the Dynamique Model (see attached brochure).
However the audio system in my vehicle did not have features that are present with the Dynamique model.
After repeated attempts to request Renault to make good on this, without any luck, I eventually escalated to Renault customer service in South Africa (see email below) who also totally ignored me, and to this day I have not received any response.
Please can you assist because I've decided that Renault should not be allowed to sweep this under the carpet.

Sent: 19 June 2015 08:19 AM
Cc: 'scott.[protected]@me.com'
Subject: RE: Renault Sandero Expression - audio system does not match advertised spec

Hi Pieter,

Are you or someone else at Renault planning to get back to me on this or shall I proceed to plan B and escalate?

Sent: 11 June 2015 01:46 PM

Hi,

I see Pieter Badenhorst is out of office until 15th June.
If I don’t get feedback on this by end of tomorrow I am taking my compliant to www.hellopeter.com and will also hunt down upper Renault management in South Africa.

Sent: 11 June 2015 01:38 PM

Hi,

Can I please have some feedback on this?

Sent: 09 June 2015 02:22 PM

Hi Pieter,

Took some pictures of the brochure I was given, using my phone and have attached them as you requested.

Sent: 09 June 2015 01:22 PM

Hi Pieter,

Sorry, but I have just reached the point of becoming quite an upset customer after the run-around on this.
The brochure I was given by Tokai Renault just before purchasing the car at Paarden Eiland Renault has a print date of March 2014 on it.
This is the brochure we based our purchase decision on and it has this spec sheet in it (below).
Telling me that the spec sheet says nothing about a specific front-rear fade feature on the audio system is not acceptable.
The spec sheet is very clear that both models have the same standard audio system.
If there are any differences in audio features between the two models then attention must be clearly drawn to this on the brochure (e.g. via an asterisk in the Expression column, with a footnote at the bottom or preferably in the table itself saying that the audio system features are different).
This is pretty standard practice in the industry these days, especially when the manufacturer goes to great pains to highlight the differences between models.
It simply says that the audio system is standard and the same for both models.
If there is a difference it should state that there is a difference. Plain and simple.

From: Pieter Badenhorst [mailto:[protected]@renault.co.za]
Sent: 09 June 2015 12:11 PM
To: Hallauer, Mike; 'Rene G'; 'Walied Kahaar'

Good day Mr Hallauer,

Its not about splitting hair, its about giving you answers to your questions.

You were specific in regards with the points pointed out and I wish to answer correctly.

Please can you assist with this.

Pieter Badenhorst
Customer Support Manager - Renault South Africa
12 Ernest Oppenheimer Drive, Bruma, 2026
P.O Box 472, Isando, 1600
Tel : [protected] - Mobile : - Fax : +[protected]
Web : www.renault.co.za
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 11:45 AM
To: Pieter Badenhorst; 'Rene G'; 'Walied Kahaar'
Cc: scott.[protected]@me.com; [protected]@gmail.com

Pieter, it is the brochure that Renault gave me when I walked in to look at the Expression model on the floor.
Let’s not split hairs here please.

From: Pieter Badenhorst [mailto:[protected]@renault.co.za]
Sent: 09 June 2015 11:42 AM
To: Hallauer, Mike; 'Rene G'; 'Walied Kahaar'

Good day Mr Hallauer,

Please confirm on the broacher what the print date and cover is that you have, can you also please make a copy of the front.

I just need to contact marketing with that information.

Pieter Badenhorst
Customer Support Manager - Renault South Africa
12 Ernest Oppenheimer Drive, Bruma, 2026
P.O Box 472, Isando, 1600
Tel : [protected] - Mobile : - Fax : +[protected]
Web : www.renault.co.za
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 9:31 AM
To: Rene G; 'Walied Kahaar'
Cc: [protected]@renault.co.za; scott.[protected]@me.com; [protected]@gmail.com

Hi Rene,

Your understanding is correct.

SecureFit have just phoned me now to say the audio system in my vehicle does not support a two-way split connection between front and rear speakers in order to support the front-rear fade function.
However, Walied confirmed last week that the Dynamique does support the front-rear fade option.
However the brochures I was given prior to my purchase (snippet below) indicate absolutely no difference between the Expression and Dynamique model when it comes to the 4 speaker audio system, and the audio manual that came with my car clearly shows the front-rear fade function.

Sent: 09 June 2015 09:25 AM
To: Hallauer, Mike; 'Walied Kahaar'
Cc: [protected]@renault.co.za; scott.[protected]@me.com; [protected]@gmail.com

Morning Mike,
I just had a call from the fitment centre regarding the speakers. I was under the impression that you do not have speakers at the back, however the fitment centre confirms that you do have speakers at the back, the problem is that the radio cannot fade back to front only side to side .
Please confirm that I understand the problem correctly.

Sent: 08 June 2015 01:11 PM
To: 'Hallauer, Mike'; 'Walied Kahaar'
Cc: '[protected]@renault.co.za'; 'scott.[protected]@me.com'; '[protected]@gmail.com'

Mike,
I will arrange for Tuesday, tomorrow 9 June around 11h00 to collect your vehicle, and have it fitted and return to you again.
Please advise if this will be okay, also send me your address to collect the vehicle at.

Sent: 08 June 2015 12:41 PM
To: Walied Kahaar
Cc: Rene G; [protected]@renault.co.za; scott.[protected]@me.com; [protected]@gmail.com

Hi Walied,

Then it will probably have to be next week some time.
I will have to come in with two cars and two drivers because I am not going to sit around waiting for 3-4 hours again.

Personally, I would hope that Renault would offer to come and collect the car and deliver it back to me to save me the inconvenience.
Also, this is Renault’s mistake.

Sent: 08 June 2015 12:29 PM

Hi Mike
Unfortunately you will have to bring it in…
Secure fit, our service provider, is not in Tokai side.
Please advise on which day and time??

Sent: 08 June 2015 12:11 PM
To: Rene G
Cc: [protected]@multifranchise.co.za; 'Thelma Opperman'; za.[protected]@renault.com; scott.[protected]@me.com; [protected]@gmail.com

Hi,

Please advise on how you will resolve this.
Must I bring the car in again, or will you send someone to me to install the 4 speakers correctly?

Sent: 05 June 2015 12:58 PM
To: 'Rene G'
Cc: [protected]@multifranchise.co.za; 'Thelma Opperman'; 'za.[protected]@renault.com'; 'scott.[protected]@me.com'; '[protected]@gmail.com'
Subject: Renault Sandero Expression - audio system does not match advertised spec

Hi Rene,

Please show me a brochure or spec sheet which indicates any difference between Expression and Dynamique models when it comes to the audio system
If there is a difference then it should be clearly stated on the brochure or spec sheet.
Strongly suggest that Renault familiarize itself with your own spec sheets that are advertised to customers, and make sure that the models you sell are in compliance with the spec sheet advertised.

All brochures and spec sheets I have looked at show no difference between the models when it comes to audio, and even explicitly state that the Expression comes with the 4 speaker system below.
I must say as well that most of the brochures I have seen on the new Sandero Expression and Dynamique models also show no difference when it comes to the on-board computer as well.
Misleading advertising is a something that the advertising authority of south Africa www.asasa.org.za frown very heavily on, not to mention I the customer!

Please also note that I brought the vehicle into your Paarden Eiland branch yesterday and waited for 3 hours while the extra speakers were installed.
When the vehicle came back I immediately noticed that the audio frontrear balance fade function was not working and it became immediately apparent that the speaker fitment guys had taken a shortcut and just connected the rear speakers to the front speakers instead of connecting them to the rear speaker connections on the audio console / radio.

Sent: 05 June 2015 12:36 PM
To: Hallauer, Mike
Subject: FW: Renault Sandero Expression - Proof of payment (Mike Hallauer)

Mike,
Just to confirm that the Expression Sandero only comes with 2 speakers. However we as Renault Paarden Eiland will fit 2 additional speakers for you in the back, because we value you as a customer.
Planning to do this will still be on Monday. Our fitment centres are only open during the week, hence the push to get it done then.

Sent: 05 June 2015 12:09 PM
To: 'Hallauer, Mike'
Cc: [protected]@multifranchise.co.za

Mike,
I copy Walied on your mail, because at a show today, and should respond to you only on Monday, maybe we can get them to go to you during the week. We will plan and liaise with you
Have a good weekend.
René

Sent: 05 June 2015 11:12 AM
To: Rene G
Cc: [protected]@multifranchise.co.za; 'Thelma Opperman'; scott.[protected]@me.com

Hi Rene, Walied,

Ok, thanks for that info Rene.
One thing is clear though….the audio system is the same on all models and there is no mention of only 2 speakers for Expression and 4 speakers for Dynamique.
Therefore Renault must make good and ensure that the 4 speaker audio system in my Expression functions properly as advertised, with rear – front fade audio option working as well as per audio manual that came with the car.
Walied, when can I bring the car in yet again to finish the fitment properly of the 4 speakers.
I want to know how long the job will take so that I can plan accordingly.
Would next Saturday (13th) be okay?

Sent: 05 June 2015 10:59 AM
To: Hallauer, Mike
Cc: [protected]@multifranchise.co.za; 'Thelma Opperman'

Michael,

The you bought the SANDERO EXPRESSION, attach a copy of the brochure with all the relevant information, equipment and options. Please have a look as the six function on board computer is not available on the model you bought.
The manual covers the full Sandero range, hence the reason I attach a copy of the brochure for your perusal.

René

From: Thelma Opperman [mailto:[protected]@multifranchise.co.za]
Sent: 05 June 2015 10:34 AM
To: 'Rene Gindra'
Subject: FW: Renault Sandero Expression - Proof of payment (Mike Hallauer)

Sent: 05 June 2015 10:25 AM
To: [protected]@cic-sa.co.za
Cc: [protected]@multifranchise.co.za; Walied Kahaar; [protected]@multifranchise.co.za

Hi Renault Tokai,

Please can you assist with arranging an appointment with a technician to answer my question below regarding the onboard computer screens for the Renault Sandero Expression that I have just bought from Renault Paaarden Eiland.

The manual advertises 4 screens, but on the Expression we are only seeing 2 screens (clock and mileage screen). We don’t see the consumption, or remaining km for fuel screens.

Regards,
Mike Hallauer (tel: [protected])

Sent: 04 June 2015 03:29 PM

Mr Hallauer

Go to Tokai branch and explain to them, let them call me if necessary.
It is closer to you, but let a technician look at it, the screens that is..
I will liaise with the guys that fitted the speakers now and give feedback ASAP

Sent: 04 June 2015 03:16 PM
Cc: [protected]@multifranchise.co.za; scott.[protected]@me.com

Hi again Walied,

Is there any chance you can find a place here in Tokai that I can take the car for connecting up the back speakers correctly to the radio?

Also, I checked again now and there is definitely only 2 computer screens: the time, and the mileage. There is definitely no fuel consumption screen, so please can you let me know if one of your tech specialists need to look at this. The fuel consumption screen is a very useful screen and if it is missing then it means the onboard computer is missing one of the vital advertised functions.

Sent: 02 June 2015 09:24 AM
Cc: '[protected]@multifranchise.co.za'; 'scott.[protected]@me.com'

Any more on the plates?
My son also has the following questions:
• The car computer function toggle on the steering control only shows 2 screens. Shouldn’t it also show the consumption and range screen?
• Exhaust warning light stays on after car ignition started …and only goes off after car in motion

Sent: 01 June 2015 09:12 AM

Hi Mike

Are you well, and how was the weekend??

I anticipate getting the License back today..
As soon as I have it in my possession I will contact you to bring the vehicle in the following day..
Speakers are done down the road from us, but you could potentially sit and have some coffee while they do it..

Sent: 01 June 2015 08:59 AM
Cc: scott.[protected]@me.com; [protected]@multifranchise.co.za

Hi Walied,

Please let me know when you would like me to bring the vehicle in for the license plates and the rear speakers.
Also, please give me an idea whether the speakers can be done at your premises, and how long this will take.

Sent: 30 May 2015 11:05 AM
Subject: RE: Renault Sandero Expression - Proof of payment (Mike Hallauer)

Thanks Walied. I’ll bring it in when you have the license plates ready so we can do both together?

By the way ….looking at that same brochure it doesn’t mention any difference between the Expression and Dynamique when it comes to audio features:

Sent: 30 May 2015 11:01 AM

Hi,
In that case, consider it Done…
When will you bring the vehicle in??


Sent: 30 May 2015 10:56 AM
Cc: [protected]@multifranchise.co.za; scott.[protected]@me.com
Subject: RE: Renault Sandero Expression - Proof of payment (Mike Hallauer)

As per the advertised brochure: http://renaultmelrose.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/renault-sandero-brochure.pdf

Sent: 30 May 2015 10:43 AM
Cc: '[protected]@multifranchise.co.za'; 'scott.[protected]@me.com'

Hi Walied,

It looks like the rear speakers are not installed?
Looked behind the rear speaker covers with a torch and can’t see any speaker cones?

Sent: 30 May 2015 09:16 AM

Morning Mike

My sincere apologies for this inconvenience..
It’s most likely only a setting..
Mike please bring the car to me anytime..

Sent: 30 May 2015 08:47 AM
Cc: scott.[protected]@me.com; [protected]@multifranchise.co.za

Hi Walied,

Only noticed one problem with the car so far:
The speakers in the back don’t work.
(looking at the specs for this car it is definitely a 4 speaker sound system)

Otherwise all good so far.
Please advise whether we need to bring the car in to get the back speakers fixed.

Sent: 26 May 2015 09:00 AM

Hi Mike..

I’m sending away this morning for License and Reg..
I should have it by tomorrow morning.

I the interim, for Insurance purposes:
1. Vin No…..VF15SRAA452042241
2. Eng No…..H4BA400U228949

Many Thanx, for the Proof of Payment.

Preview and launch of the New Renault Captur
at Renault Paarden Eiland on Wednesday 6th May. This is an all-day event and cut off time is 19h00. Refreshments will be available for the duration of the launch.

Sent: 26 May 2015 08:43 AM

Hi again Walied,

I also bank at Standard Bank so this payment should reflect immediately.

Please also send me car license details for insurance purposes.

Sent: 26 May 2015 08:41 AM
To: 'Walied Kahaar'
Subject: Renault Sandero Expression - Proof of payment (Mike Hallauer)

Hi Walied,

Attached please find proof of payment.
Please confirm receipt of payment and also delivery of vehicle on Thursday this week at 10am.

Sent: 26 May 2015 08:11 AM

Hi Walied,

In fact can we make it at 10am on Thursday?

Sent: 26 May 2015 08:08 AM

Hi Walied,

Can we rather make it Thursday at 11am? …because I have a whole bunch of meetings tomorrow.
I will transfer the funds today and send you proof of payment.

Sent: 26 May 2015 07:49 AM

Are you well, Sir?

I will be doing the Smash & Grabs today and final preparation for delivery..
Tomorrow, Wednesday, at 11am, would that suit you?

Lastly, possible you could send me a proof of payment, plz??
I will need to just make sure the funds reflect in our account..

Sent: 25 May 2015 06:21 PM

Hi Walied,

Can you give a rough guestimate when you think the vehicle will be ready?

Sent: 23 May 2015 10:53 AM

Thanks Walied.

Please let me know when you think the vehicle will be ready.

Sent: 23 May 2015 08:27 AM

Ere you well, Sir!!
Much appreciated for the all the documentation you sent.
I’ve been out of office for a couple of days due to training..
My manager received all your info and was also handed to our F&I..
Attached is our company banking details.

I will start getting your vehicle ready..
If you require any further assistance, do not hesitate to call or mail.

Sent: 22 May 2015 11:34 AM
To: [protected]@multifranchise.co.za

Hi Walied,

Also noticed that you have my email address wrong on the offer to purchase.
It should be:
hallauer.[protected]@gmail.com

regards,

Sent: 22 May 2015 09:20 AM
To: '[protected]@multifranchise.co.za'
Cc: 'scott.[protected]@me.com'; '[protected]@gmail.com'
Subject: Re-Renault Sandero Expression Purchase Offer

Hi Walied,
Attached is the documentation you required for the offer to purchase.
Please confirm receipt of this purchase offer for R131 951.58 which includes:
• Renault Sandero Expression
• aircon
• Mercury silver metallic
• Service plan (2yrs / 30 000km)
• Mechanical Warranty, 5yrs/ 150 000kms
• Smash & Grab windows
• carpets
• On the road costs (registration + plates)

Please advise when the vehicle will be ready for delivery.

(Cell: [protected])
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Walied Kahaar
Date: Wed, May 20, 2015 at 12:46 PM
Subject: FW: Re-Renault
To: Michael Hallauer

Sorry for the delay I just sold another car 

I got your back on this deal!!!

The quoted amounts as per the attached offer to purchase INCLUDES:
1. Carpets
2. Registration (license disk)
3. Number plates
4. Air con
5. Service plan, 2yrs/30 000kms
6. Mechanical Warranty, 5yrs/ 150 000kms
7. Smash & Grab windows
8. Metallic Paint
9. And continues, efficient and Friendly Service as well as after Sales Service with a Smile!!!

Any question do not hesitate to call or mail me at any time. Did you know Salesmen don’t sleep!! 

________________________________________

This email message and any attachments may contain confidential, proprietary or non-public information. The information is intended solely for the designated recipient(s). If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this email, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any review, dissemination, use or reliance upon this information by unintended recipients is prohibited. Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the author personally.

Disclaimer and Confidentiality notice: http://www.amhgroup.net/Disclaimer/Disclaimer.html

• Resolution Statement

• Renault Customer Care's Response · May 04, 2017

Dear Mike_Hallauer

We’ll surely forward this to the concerned country heard. They will get in touch with you to assist you further in this regard.

Mi