Removal Group / Unreliable and unhelpful!

1 United Kingdom Review updated:

We used this company to move our possessions from the UK to Spain when we moved to Seville in September 2005. The company was extremely communicative and helpful until the point when they took our money (100% payment before they took our things away) and then changed completely. From the moments our goods were taken away, we received no contact at all from them and became frustrated at their lack of communication, refusal to answer our calls or reply to our emails. Our goods never arrived in Spain on the appointed day and we spent three days hanging around waiting for their arrival, becoming increasingly concerned and unable to get any information from the Removal Group about what had happened. Our 'removal coordinator' (Lee Plumridge) was somehow never available to take our calls when we rang, nor ever called back, and nobody else in the company seemed to have any information at all. When the goods finally did arrive (three days late) we found that they had been subcontracted out to another company (Johnsons Removals) and a number of the boxes were damaged with items broken. In addition, they arrived in such an enormous vehicle that it could not park anywhere near to our home and we ended up having to arrange our own transport to bring them from the lorry to our house. The Removal Group never responded to our complaints, nor offered any compensation for the delay or the damages. In conclusion, we were extremely disappointed with the service and would discourage anyone from using this company.

Comments

15th of Nov, 2007

A month passed very quickly and with still no satisfactory response I wrote claiming on the insurance.

The reply was from their solicitor, stating that we had no claim as any complaint should have been in writing within one month, any complaint outside that time was void. They also refused to accept that the two items delivered in error were not ours and would not collect them. Having also been innocently been involved in a car accident we were too exhausted to take any further action. We gave up in disgust.

Be very sure not to use the removal group.

• We
      27th of Nov, 2007

We had a similar incident which we are still trying to resolve. Company called City Moves ,Carmarthen. Took our money including £268 additional insurance which they say we did not pay but we did. Our goods were due to arrive on the 7th July.2007 by road to Bulgaria. They arrived on the 9th August.2007 without so much as an apology and they came by sea, which they say is not covered by insurance. The furniture was very badly damaged and smashed and ripped.They refuse to give us any compensation so I am naming and shaming them. We are old age pensioners and this was our home.

• Em
      13th of Mar, 2008

These people must be stopped... and properly... naming and shaming is a start but they should be compensating all of us!!! Justice in the UK is for the Rich! I suggest the law is an ### and as such if we're not realistacly going to receive compensation the least we can do is make it so they can no longer make any money!! Perhaps all unhappy customers of which their seem to be many should turn up at their dodgy office above the art shop in whatever god forsaken place it is they are with torches!!! Burn em down... wait for them to build up and then burn them down again!!! Seriously though something has to be done...!!! Is there no watch dog or some sort of Web controler that can shut down their .com site??

• Mi
      28th of Aug, 2008

Don't use The Removal Group until you have read this - especially if you are moving abroad:

Right from the Managing Director downwards, this company is riddled with unhelpful and/or unreliable staff who seem very professional when they are trying to get your custom but once they have got you their treatment changes to that of a none-caring, bullying bunch of cowboys. Here are just a few complaints and criticisms I have with them.

* They do not deliver your goods - they offload the actual jobs to removal companies from all over the country. In fact they sometimes offload the collection/delivery to small family run businesses that, as proved in our case, could turn out to be unreliable and/or untrustworthy.

* They charge almost twice as much as some firms based abroad that actually do the whole job themselves.

* Despite all the promises on their wonderful website, they did not make an inventory of our belongings even though we ourselves prepared a list for them (which they didn’t use).

* They did not check out the firm that they offloaded our removals to. It was taken out to Spain in a small transit type van towing a trailer like a horsebox. There was only the driver who had to do all the driving, lifting and carrying all by himself – and some of our items, such as the three piece suite were very bulky and very heavy i.e. far too much for one man to lift and carry carefully.

* We were billed for approx ten cubic metres more than we were told when our goods were collected.

* We had an agreement to pay the final payment (approx £1, 300) by cheque. They didn’t keep to it and, despite my protestations, forced us to transfer the money to them, at extremely short notice, from our Spanish bank account. Our goods never arrived as the transfer obviously didn’t have time too clear!

* They then said, because we hadn’t paid the final payment, that they had taken our goods back to the UK – and demanded another £1, 000 to have them brought out again.

* At first, because of our agreement, we refused to pay any more money - we had already paid more than we should have and it was clearly their ###-up not ours! It took almost eight weeks before we finally cracked and decided to pay them the extra money….THEN…..when it arrived it was delivered by a local firm (based not three miles from our new home) who told us that it had been in their warehouse the whole time i.e. it had never gone back to the UK at all!!!

* Our leather three-piece suite arrived with scuffmarks and oil stains all over it. Many boxes arrived badly squashed – thank goodness we had packed all our breakables ourselves in acres of bubble wrap or God only knows how much stuff might have been ruined.

* When I contacted The Removal Group to complain I was fobbed off time and time again by staff at all levels who seemed either incapable of realising, or just didn’t care, how serious my complaint was. I was told that the Managing Director (Mr David Winter) was away on holiday and I would have to await his return as he had not left anyone in charge in his absence (unbelievable!!).

* Eventually, when Mr Winter returned, he promised to sort out all the problems but, despite reimbursing the money for the extra cubic capacity, that we never had, and the extra £1, 000 we had been bullied into paying, he has refused to pay any compensation for the atrocious service we received, for all the new goods and clothing we had to buy whilst they had been illegally kept from us, for all the costly phone calls from Spain to England and for all the stress and distress that they had so uncaringly put us through.

* Then, when I continued to press for compensation I received a letter, via their solicitors, stating amongst other things that our removal charges had been refunded. This is an absolute lie as, even after the refund of certain moneys that we should never have had to pay, we still ended up paying over £2, 000 for the most abominable service and treatment that, quite honestly I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemies.

* All Mr Winter has done, apart from what I have already stated, is to say a very nicely worded “sorry” in an unsigned, e-mailed, letter! Now sorry covers a multitude of sins but, whilst it may calm the waters somewhat, in no way does it compensate me and my family for the way we have been treated, nor does it refund our out of pocket expenses!

* I AM ALSO CONCERNED BY THE FACT THAT THERE APPEARS TO BE A CONFLICT OF INTEREST AS MR WINTER ALSO TRADES AS “SURE DIRECT” WHICH JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE FIRM THAT INSURED OUR BELONGINGS DURING THE REMOVAL PROCESS – AND OF COURSE IT WAS RECOMMENDED TO US BY THE REMOVAL GROUP.

• Dc
      26th of Mar, 2009

uk;
    very freindly courteous service. help during the process before the removal.
    emails and phone calls from them. i paid the whole cost of the service by credit card two weeks before collection of my furniture. the specified date arrived and the collection was done.
    ...then the nightmare began!!

italy;
    removal van? no removal van. numerous phone calls to the company office seemed to get me nowhere as i was passed around to various people. then it finally turned up around 4 weeks later. furniture damaged and boxes missing. as i had just newly purchased an apartment i had no phone/internet connection, gas etc. a cousin of mine offered to help and he took photographs of the damaged items and sent them along with a complaint by email. this was done around the end of november '08. he is still waiting for a reply. i phoned up countless times since then but
    could not get hold of the persons who were dealing with it. it is now march '09 and i am now on the net and settled in i am going to contact them further and i will keep on until i get a reply.

THIS COMPANY 'SUCKS', BIG TIME!!!

• Js
      19th of Jan, 2010

Hi

Thank you! And also meant to say a BIG thank you for the excellent service! The movers were fabulous - on time friendly efficient and perfect execution. Not a glass was broken!!! Please pass on the feedback to Clock work! Best regards,

Siljex

• Js
      19th of Jan, 2010

Hi,

Just to say thank you very much for the great service.

We were very impressed and will be in touch when the rest of our furniture needs to be moved.

kind regards,

Richard

• Vi
      27th of Jan, 2010

Um, jsmith11 - I hope you're not actually employed by the removal group, given that you're signing off as two different customers named Siljex and Richard...?

• Sp
      24th of Nov, 2010

we had the same problem the company georges removels spain to uk . paid them signed everything and when the goods got to uk i have some missing, and they broke my 40inch plasma tv and they just will not admit it its all scratched at the bottom, i contacted them and they have insurance but they said because they did not pack the items i can not claim . ive got photos of the boxes and they put the tv upside down in the trailer how can they do that it was written big enough to see what way round it was . not happy at all because now we have to buy a new one and i dont know what soiltor to contact to ask for help ...

• Re
      29th of Jan, 2011

Guys, everyone how want to claim for Removalgroup responsibility - I created a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Make-the-Removal-Group-responsible/118202988207700?v=wall
    Let's join and sue them.

• Rm
      15th of Mar, 2011

i would not trust them to move a beer mat, a shower of cowboys

• Cb
      16th of Mar, 2011

Unfortunately, most of you made your decision by opting for the cheapest quote. The removal Group are nothing but "bedroom Brokers". They don't own any trucks or employ any removal men - they are bunch of scamsters and sub it out to cheap cowboy operators. In future when choosing a moving company - make sure they are a member of the British Association of Removers. This is the consumers way of knowing that you are dealing with a reputable moving company who have a code of practise that thety must adhere to.

• Ju
      2nd of Nov, 2011

One of the worst experiences of my life was having employed Removal Group to transport my goods. I had numerous items lost, many were broken and I was charged "hidden extras" once they had control. The broker i dealt with was Paul Keene who continually lied and offered nothing to resolve my issues. NEVER EVER USE THIS COMPANY.