Reliant Energy / high energy charge

Colleyville, TX, United States Review updated:
4.55
I have been trusting that I was getting a decent price from my electricity billing company. At the time I signed on with them they had one of the best rates around. I am on a month to month plan and I was not diligent in comparing the rates they were charging me each month. I got my electricity bill for the month of November. We did not run the air-conditioner that whole month but the bill was still very high. I looked at the rate they were charging for the energy charge and compared it to the last few bills. I realized they were charging me 18 cents per kWh and had been charging me over 19cent or for at least the last several months. I compared that to other companies on line and it's much higher than anybody else in our area. The real issue is that Reliant Energy is advertising that their current rate is 13.8 cents per kWh for the plan I'm on. Apparently once you get on with them they jack the monthly rate up thinking you will be like I was and not pay attention. I know rates fluctuate some but I went back and looked at the average rates for electricity in our area the last year and the rates have been dropping since mid summer. The cost of energy (gas) has been dropping very rapidly during that same time frame but not from for me. What they advertise is just a teaser rate. Avoid them. I have since found that there is a lot of information about Reliant being one of the worst energy billing companies for price gouging in both Texas and California. I should have done my research earlier.
Ga

Comments

La
  6th of May, 2009
I absolutely agree Reliant screwed me over by rate jacking me up to 18kwh as well, but i didn't notice for quite a while. now they have sent me some absorbient bill after i have changed providers.
AVIOD RELIANT like the plaque!
Th
  7th of Jun, 2009
If you guys read your price plan on the monthly flex plan the price per kwh can change without notice month to month, if you guys wanted your rate to not change you should have signed on with a contract. I did and its been working for me.
Cw
  18th of Aug, 2009
I was disconnected because I underpaid my summertime bill by 11 cents! ELEVEN CENTS!!
Ch
  6th of Oct, 2009
When I received my bill through email I noticed the KWH had increased. I am on a secure 24month eplan .139 per kwh, and they raised it to .142 without sending me the notice of change 45 days in advance according to my 2 yr contract. When I first called after receiving my bill 9/24/09, I was told it was a computer glitch and would be fixed back down to .139 by next bill. Here it is 10/5 and I received a call from Reliant telling me it was no glitch that an increase mandated by the PUC. The customer service rep tried to tell me a lot of bull, and I called her on it because I was online looking at my contract details. I asked for a supervisor and she said that she would get me one, but then came back on the phone to tell me that they mailed a notice on 9/16/09 about the increase. I advised well that is only 8 days before you applied the increase, and my contract says you have to give me 45 days, and plus I am on everything paperless so nothing would have been mailed to me. I have not received anything in the mail from them. I asked for a supervisor again and was told they were busy, and I told her that was fine I would wait. The supervisor got on the phone and would not let me talk, and said if I wanted my .139 kwh back, I would have to pay the plan cancel fee of $295 and then I would be put on a different plan with that rate.
Pr
  10th of Dec, 2009
Same thing happened to me. I didn't notice the raise in prices for several months as well. My bill shot up shortly around June I think. That's about when they stopped doing their old pricing structure and you defaulted onto their month to month plan. I have always had the month to month plan. This past summer Reliant decided to start screwing people for some reason and anyone that was on month to month was being charged anywhere from 18 to 19 cents per hour when everyone else in town was charging 9 to 10 cents per hour. Go figure. It's not hard to switch but I would recommend that when you do switch that you ask them to rush the order through and pay the 5 dollar fee to do so. You pay 5 bucks up front to save 8 weeks or more of being on the old plan while they wait to switch you. They can do it in a matter of days if you tell them. Texas has some sort of policy that automatically defaults you into the waiting game while switching unless you ask to be rushed then they will be happy to bring you on board. Star Tex Power seems to be a good alternative if price is a concern. I don't often call my electric company, maybe 3 times I called Reliant to complain about the price gouging but that was it. I never lose power and if I do TXU or whoever it is that owns the lines is who comes and fixes the problem anyway. Why anyone would care to put "Customer Service" ahead of pricing when it comes to electricity is beyond me.
Ge
  21st of Dec, 2009
Believe me, this conduct they engaged in is illegal at so many levels. I am also an attorney who may be suing Reliant on behalf of a friend. If you have any interest in my representing you as well, please email me at reliantcase@yahoo.com. No obligation, contingency fee arrangement.
Ve
  11th of Mar, 2010
Yeah and be careful about the average bill pay with reliant. got my lawst bill in the mail and theres an extra $175 charged to my account. I called in and am told that it is because of a deffered payments. They were great when i first go them 2 years ago and the $/kwh was at <10. I feel screwed and theres nothing that can be done but pay.
Di
  17th of Mar, 2011
I just finished talking to Reliant about an overcharge on our account. They immediately come out to check our meter and decided to change it. They send me a letter and let me know that nothing was wrong with their charge on our account and that the old meter was fine. Why did they change the meter if it was working fine? Before they had changed it, my husband watched, to see how fast it was moving with the air conditioner and the lights on. And then again, with only the lights on. The meter was running at the exact same speed. It never slowed down. I told the person that I first called about this. That was one of the reasons they decided to check it.
Two weeks ago, (the first time I complained), they asked me to take a reading of my meter, which I did. The guy was shocked and asked me if I was sure I had read it right. That was 2 weeks into the billing cycle. I 'm sure that our next bill, will be outrageous. Our January bill was almost a thousand dollars. It was running during the summer months at around $350. They told me that there is a crossover bill that is billed each month. Ours was an extra $286. This crossover bill is suppose to allow us to use the poles and electrical wires. I'm going to file a complaint against them and change to a better service provider.
Re
  11th of Feb, 2014
Reliant energy is a scam!!!, they are thieves. They lie and they steal!!! They won't be seeing another dime from us and they can shove that early termination fee right up their ### I am suing them for everything they have!!! Reliant energy y'all are going down!!!
Ro
  17th of Sep, 2014
DECEPTIVE COMPANY ! THE ATTORNEY GENERAL NEEDS TO CLOSE THEM DOWN !

Reliant Energy Logo Reliant Energy