Reliant Energy / outrageous bill

Last month my light bill was $87.00.I have switched over to TXU so my last bill with reliant energy came in and it was $248.00. I have no central air so I have not turned on my window units yet. Yet my bill went up from $87.00 to$248.00 without doing anything different. I called them and they had me do a meter reading and give them the nos. over the phone. I did that and they as much as called me a liar. I said isn't there a way that the meter was not read just estimated. She said no. Something needs to be done about reliant energy.

Comments

• Ki
      6th of Jan, 2009

My bill went from 215.00 to 465.00 in one month. i live in an apartment and have never had a bill this high. What is going on??????

• Ej
      6th of Jan, 2009

The exact thing happened to me. I live in a 1 bedroom apt with an average bill of $50/month. One month I was charged over $400 and called to find out what was going on (especially in the light of not having power for half the month from a hurricane). Most of the telephone operators do not know how to research causes of inflated bills or understand how this might happen, even the supervisor may tell you that you just happened to use 8x the amount of energy and that's the way it goes...

If you're smart and persistent, you can at least get your money credited back to your account (they won't reimburse you even though it was their fault):
    1. record the names, date and time of who you spoke to on the phone & take notes of what they said
    2. READ YOUR OWN METER!!! If you're in an apartment, you can find out which meter is yours from the electric company. It's located on the side of your building. You can look up how to read your own meter on the web and calculate your energy usage per kilowatt hours (kWh). For example - 150 kWh at $0.165/kWh = $24.75) Periodically record the number yourself to keep them on track. (Often it is the meter reader's fault - one wrong slip and they could be charging you 2000 more kilowatt hours). Sometimes they may estimate your meter, so it won't be exact, but the next time they come out personally to read the meter, they add or subtract accordingly. Ask them to come out and read your meter if you think it's incorrect. Give them your meter reading or take a picture of the reading if you're really anal like me.
    3. Be persistent - keep calling them until they come out to read your meter. They finally agreed they made a mistake after my 5th call and an email (although I'm still $400 in debt from an automatic payment). Remember, you are the customer and you can always choose another company!

Good luck!

23rd of Feb, 2009

this same thing is happening to my renters. I had TXU for ten years and now my renters are using reliant. They have been in my home for 7 months and in the past two months their bill has doubled.

• As
      28th of Feb, 2009

I switched to Reliant in Nov of 08 and for Nov and Dec my bill was about 100.00. Then in Jan they said our meter was not accesible and then Feb they sent me a 750.00 bill!! They said Feb was 500.00 for usage and they were adding on to Jan bill the rest of what I owed b/c they had to estimate Jan payment due to my meter not being able to be read. Don't ever switch to Reliant.

6th of Oct, 2009

When I received my bill through email I noticed the KWH had increased. I am on a secure 24month eplan .139 per kwh, and they raised it to .142 without sending me the notice of change 45 days in advance according to my 2 yr contract. When I first called after receiving my bill 9/24/09, I was told it was a computer glitch and would be fixed back down to .139 by next bill. Here it is 10/5 and I received a call from Reliant telling me it was no glitch that an increase mandated by the PUC. The customer service rep tried to tell me a lot of bull, and I called her on it because I was online looking at my contract details. I asked for a supervisor and she said that she would get me one, but then came back on the phone to tell me that they mailed a notice on 9/16/09 about the increase. I advised well that is only 8 days before you applied the increase, and my contract says you have to give me 45 days, and plus I am on everything paperless so nothing would have been mailed to me. I have not received anything in the mail from them. I asked for a supervisor again and was told they were busy, and I told her that was fine I would wait. The supervisor got on the phone and would not let me talk, and said if I wanted my .139 kwh back, I would have to pay the plan cancel fee of $295 and then I would be put on a different plan with that rate.

16th of Jul, 2011

Reliant Energy is a HOT mess!
    They could not prove how they arrived at my bill which was $336 higher than the previous month! I called them and all they could tell me was the the new digital meters read correctly and the old ones did not. Seriously! After nine years? So I ended my relationship with Reliant immediately and will not look back. No supervisors are available and the agents read from a script. The digital meters are correct! Really! Well I would rather have a watch with a dial that kept the correct time rather that a digital that framed the time! And I did tell her that occasionally even planes do fall from the sky. I think she got the message. Also Reliant Energy will post your billing amount on the internet before you can even access your bill! Greed! Hence their inability to defend their billing. Thank GOD for competition. I will be sleeping tonight.

• Ad
      15th of Oct, 2015

From average of $85 per month it said I had a past due amount of $600 plus $350 in new charges due now. How do you spend $950 dollars worth of electricity in a one bedroom apartment?! I had a deposit of $150 so it was deducted from my debt and now I owe $800. Thanks for ruining my credit and not even giving me a chance to do a payment plan since I had to stop the electricity. I used to recommend this company because it was the only one I knew was good. I'm a single mom and I would rather spend those $800 worth of 2 weeks work on my childs life. I am not paying

21st of Sep, 2017

Reliant energy robs everyone. Your bill always goes up no matter what plan they offer you. STAY AWAY FROM THESE RATS!!! THEY SUCK!!!