Relax Grill at Lake Eola / Horrible service from Owner/manager..

1 211 Eola ParkwayOrlando, FL, United States Review updated:

So I went with a buddy of mine to this new place called Relax Grill at Lake Eola in downtown Orlando. Food was good, waitress Carley okay, and one of two of the "owners horrible."

We ate our food - and I was waiting on a refreshment when one of the owners - some tall overweight punk decided to yank EVERYONE including the bartender off for a 8 minute meeting. No drinks, no service, nothing!

So as they were coming back I was speaking to the buddy of mine who was there with me and asked in a round about way "what f---ing idiot would pull all the staff out of a bar. One of the waitresses overheard me and decided to pull one of the owners "ie. overweight wanna be bad boy" to talk to me. FIRST words out of his mouth "whats your problem, I understand there is a problem here." Exact words from me "No problem, but rather stupid to pull all of your waitstaff off the floor when people need service" - he then made some snyde remark under his breath and walked away.

Shortly thereafter a gentleman comes over we know, and hes like "I understand there is an issue" I again told him the issue - and now a third "waitress" claiming to be part owner - rude... States that we were all in a meeting. I looked at her, told her I was talking to the owner, and that she can move on. She stated "I'm an owner too" "we were in a meeting" - so you have everyone off the floor, and someone gets up set - and you become some irate waitress "ie. part owner?"

So the one gentleman there we knew was like, you didnt need to curse, you're welcome here any time" blah blah... (and I indicated to him) I wouldnt step foot back in that bar - we will be done with our tab and leave.

At this point my buddy pays the tab and is like we need to leave - "brutus the body guard" (part owner) is watching us like a hawk.

So as we are leaving I indicated to him I would write a review on this place - and he tells me to get the "[censored]" out of his bar, we don't need customers like you..

Like me? Haha... Someone who wants service? Someone who doesn't deal with a manager coming up to his table and being an ###? I have lived here all of my life and never have dealt with people like this. I highly encourage you to avoid this bar - and it's people. The food is good (ill give them that) Their waitstaff is good as well (not superb!) but good... But their second rate management staff is less to be desired. I have had better service from management at a krystals burger joint than I did at this place. And what manager tells someone to get the F-- out of his little bar because they spoke their opinion about their bad service? I was wrong for saying "what idiot takes their bar staff... er wait" no I wasn't... AVOID this bar...

Thanks

Comments

27th of Apr, 2009

I am one of the owners at Relax Grill and unfortunatily not the one who he was mad at, I wish he was!!
    I was unhappy with the way I handled the sitution after hearing the whole story and read his complaint. If I was there from the beginning and was aware of this gentelmen's actions, and he was not with someone I pesonally knew and actually a nice and intelligent person, I would have made sure he was out of our restaurant the moment I started talking to him, and I would have made sure that he actually understood he is no longer welcome at Relax Grill.

Some establishments have the mentality of the "customer is right no matter what'. At Relax Grill we highly respect our customers and our staff, and nobody is allowed whether it is a customer or a staff member to over step basic human communication skills, and we do not tolarate rude customers and customers that can not handle thier alcholic beverages. Our goal is to preserve a casual atomosphere that appeals to every lake Eola visitor that is here to get an amazing experience everytime they visit us here At Relax Grill and the beautiful "Lake Eola", and if every establishment treats their customers and staff the way we do, every restaurant and bar in America would be a pleasure to visit and work at!!!

Everyone that came across this gentelman during his visit with us was very respectful and very accomodating. I actually felt bad for his friend, I am sure he was embarrassed by his friend's action, fortunatly; he actualy left their server a nice tip.

The tone of this gentelman's complaint tells that, somewhere in his life he assumed he can be rude to people and it is ok to do so, that is ok if his family and freind allowes that, but not here at Relax Grill.

And to everyone that read this complaint, please do not let the ignorance by this gentelman influence your choice of restaurants, and please try to be the judge to yourself, we do offer great food, wonderful service and an atmosphere that does not exist anywhere else in beautiful Orlando.

Best Best Advice +4 Votes

I have to agree with the first gentleman that wrote this msg. While his msg was very descriptive, I can say I have as well have had a bad experience at this place. I am not 100% positive, but I would have to say that the guy he speaks of is the same one that had an attitude with our party when we had a complaint over food. I guess this is their mentality.

In part of the msg from whomever wrote that response you can clearly see that this company thinks they are above their customer(s).

"Some establishments have the mentality of the "customer is right no matter what'." then he sais "And to everyone that read this complaint, please do not let the ignorance by this gentelman influence your choice of restaurants"

This is how they speak to customers? Plus in the post above the response from the bar, it states an owner cursed at the client?

I went their once, and it was a mistake. The initiator of this post clearly went more than once, and for that I am sorry. This place changed names once, and will do so again with service like that. The pretentious tone of the second message shows that they will be starving themselves in this economy, and I hope that is the case. Thumbs up to the first poster & thumbs down to this bar!

27th of Apr, 2009

This sounds like a familiar bashing by someone who has a personal problem with the new owners, and not big enough to take it directly to them, and that is the only way they can express them self.

You should read all the positive comments online, and especially the article that was done by the Orlando Sentinel past Friday April 24Th. They were given 4 star rating.

27th of Apr, 2009

Familiar bashing? Please explain this? I don't even know any of the owners of this bar. Though the description given in the first post by the complaintent was descriptive enough. I have read positive and neutral. And unfortunately those could have been posted by employees (and yes) regular patrons. However my issue is relevant enough to post.

So before you go posting (that someone is bashing) vs. giving their honest opinion of this bar, why don't you do your homework.

J.W.

27th of Apr, 2009

Make sure we get something clear here (Samuel)... Intelligent? How do you question my intelligence based on a comment that was made toward your staffs bad judgement to remove people from the floor (so we couldnt get any food or drinks?) - And you speak of me being ignorant? That four year degree is working for you very well I see!

As far as you knowing the whole story, it's very evident that you do not. I made a comment to the "intelligent one" as you say in regards to how stupid it was to remove staff from the floor in it's entirety and was laughing etc... The little blonde waitress/bartender overheard it I guess, and like a child went running to your manager that had an attitude problem. As soon as he came over it was "whats your problem?" and in a rather harsh tone. We told him nothing and he kept egging it on with "well evidently you have a problem" "One of our waitresses over heard you saying I was stupid" - and I corrected him. One, I made the comment to a friend of mine (which last I checked) I was free to do so and nothing more was said.

Now seeing as I am (ignorant, and uneducated) Ill make the "Freedom of Speech" clear for you "The right to freedom of speech is recognized as a human right under Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights" - sorry, us slow people need some assistance.

Second, after your manager departed you came over. I explained to you verbatim what I stated up above. Then your bartender had to chime in as well, which she had no right to do so. You all blew one sentence out of proportion then your manager made verbal threats and told me he would kick my ### etc (left out of the above) as I didnt think it was needed. And let's not forget the other things he said as well.

Third... And quite funny is that I can't handle my alcohol? How does a statement about your companies lack of good judgement indicate "that I can't handle my alcohol?" I had 2 beers - and was irritated that we had to wait almost 10 minutes to get another. Had nothing to do with "not handling my alcohol" my friend.

Fourth - yes buddy of mine left a nice tip. Why? Because it wasn't the waitresses fault that her management lacks service skills. She had nothing to do with the comment made in a "short yet laughing manner."

Fifth - I have been to that place (under previous management) while you worked there on about 12 occasions. Never had an issue, service always great. (short term memory loss/age) must go hand & hand ay?

Point here, you're all out of line. And with the new name change came horrid service er should I say poor management. You all (speaking management here) need to take some customer service classes. I can certainly point you in the right direction, but something tells me nothing would change (other than the name of the bar) !

Good luck with that!

2nd of May, 2009

And I thought I was the only one with an issue with this place. My fiance and I went up there for lunch with a couple of friends of hers. Unlike your experience with the food, ours was overcooked and not very pleasing to the pallet. We asked our server to please have a manager come over in regards to the food, and not the service from her. She became rude, and went to a lady who came over to us.

I do not recall the girls name but she had blonde hair and glasses and told us she was the owner of this establishment. Her words (and I quote) "what is your problem with our food?" Then as I started to point out that it was overcooked, she immediately cuts me off and tells my fiance and I that they cook it like this all the time and we are the only ones to complain. Our party all looked at one another and were bewildered as this owner huddled over our table. I asked her to have the waitress bring us our tab and we would be on our way, very nicely.

This woman has the audacity to come back to our table and tells me shes not removing anything off the bill and made it sound like we wanted something for nothing. I have since called my credit card company and disputed this, but it's hard to believe that companies go on like this with little to no discretion!

I will never go back to this Relax Grill on Lake Eola!

Sebastian O.

2nd of May, 2009

This (above) was taken w/out edit right from another opinion site folks. It's not just me getting the spectacular service! (sarcasm)

• He
      5th of May, 2009

haha that one guy just BLEW up "joe" Yeah the sentinel said the food was good and the prices were fair but the management sucks and the service was excrusiarially (sp) slow! And that the waitress was nice but they need to "meet in the middle somewhere" I never been there other for a beer and its clear they act like they dont need you and trust me, my friends and I won't go back even if they are giving away free beers

• He
      5th of May, 2009

I just logged on here because my friends and I went and it was horrible. My buddy just informed me of this site. I can't agree more with the 2 complaints about the management. I used to go there when it was "Erik's" and had a similar problem. The problem was/is that the manager then is now the manager now...(Sam) Or I guess owner now. He is quoted saying "a pleasure to come or work" haha, I know of 10+different waitresses that quit or got fired by him. Most quit because he was soooo rude and unprofessional towards them and had no clue how to run a place, or got fired when 2 of them approached his partner and told him that he was pocketing money. (The credit card machine was always "broken" so you had to pay cash) If I known he was still there I would have never stepped foot in that place. He'll kiss you ### to your face but screws people behind thier back. I guess he owes a old cook 2+ weeks worth of pay and told him he can eat there for free instead! Yeah, way to run a business. He's a joke and is that place. Too many REAL places to go instead

7th of May, 2009

I am a regular customer at Relax Grill, and it is sad that the internet had opened up an avenue for people to use it for personal attacks on businesses. I have been patronizing Relax grill since the beginning of March and I have had nothing but the best service, very friendly owners that go out of their way to make all their customers happy .
    The food is one of a kind in Orlando, and in my opinion they deserve a 5 star rating by the sentinel instead of 4 Star, that was given a couple of weeks ago.
    The new owners made an establishment that have been around for a long time into a fabulous dining and drinking experience, that I wish more restaurants in the area would follow their model.
    Try the hummus, the kabobs and even their hamburger etc... and you will be another regular like me.

Good bless

7th of May, 2009

How can you possibly view above as personal attacks? The internet has opened up a venue as you say, for people to post their opinions on companies all across the board. However I will go on a bet here to say you're a hypocrite right off the bad. "Tell me" you have never told your friends of a bad experience you have had... "exactly" - you can't... The difference between your friends and the internet is the rather large audience.

Any company should provide decent service, and when it's lacking or where someone is flagrant as the company is above it should be noted. Whether or not YOU take it that way is another thing all together.

Personally, I was told BB Kings was horrible, however I went for the first time to try it my self and while the service was okay - the food was incredible! I didn't hear any managers using vulgarities vs. any patrons, and it was an extremely diverse crowd.

Lack of professionalism should be pointed out - and because of the internet "managers, owners, etc" should really think about their clients. Your "opinion" has been noted, however the facts are still there. They won't argue that they didnt curse and handle things in a very unprofessional manner. As well, there are several others that had an awful experience at this place. Bottom line, service was bad (from management) not waitress... Its not a personal attack, however if you can't see the difference.. well... you get the drift.

8th of May, 2009

I don't know if it was managers or owners or what but when I went to this place not one person in there seemed to care that we were there. Went with my girlfriend after work for a few drinks and some snacks. Took at least 5 minutes for them to say anything and when they did it was pretty rude and rushed.

After we ordered the hummus and a few beers another 5 minutes went by before we saw the beers and 20 MINUTES before we got the hummus. It's hummus! How does it take that long with 1 other table at the place.

The cook whose name I didnt get didnt care at all when i walked to the window and asked if he got the order or if the waitress had screwed up. He just said it takes a long time and they arent a full kitchen 'as I can see'.

Either way took way to long, the staff honestly sucked and were so amazingly rude that it almost made me walk out on the tab. In retrospect I should have.

• Je
      8th of May, 2009

I first want to say I am a professional business woman and mother of two. This is the first complaint I have ever made on the internet but I thought it needed to be done. And as I just read, I am one of many that had an unpleasant experience. The first time I went was during lunch on a tuesday will my co workers. There were four of us and 3 had salads and the gentleman had the kabob. Being a hour lunch break and after 40 mins of only drinks in front of us we asked to cancel our order because we needed to head back to the office. The waitress went to the kitchen and told the man in the window. All of a sudden the salads came out and a min later the kabob. All 4 plates looked like my 3 year old put them together. The dressing was very runny and although not a bad taste, a very different taste. Nothing I would order again. The gentleman said the kabob had pretty good flavor but it was dry. Maybe cause the cook forgot and overcooked it, I don't know. On our way out a co worker peeked her head in the window and said "was there a reason it took 45 mins to get 3 salads and a kabob?" The reply was "this isn't mcdonalds, we are a restaurant." Being late to get back already, we just left quietly but surprised they would talk to customers that way.
    I was down on the lake with my children on the weekend and with no time restraints this time, I went in again. I wish I trusted my gut and chose otherwise. We sat at our table and waited a good ten minutes before we had someone come greet us. I got the hummus and it was nothing but a very strong garlic taste. I wasn't going to kiss my husband that night! The only thing I can say some what positive is the prices are about average. The portions aren't that big however. I can definately see where the management/owner is the main issue at this establishment. I think he belongs on Seinfield as the soup natzi. Two bad experiences were enough for me. Spice across the way is better in every aspect and I am not a huge fan of spice.

8th of May, 2009

Wow, and here I was made out to be the only person that thought this place was bad. And look at these multiple comments one after another, after another.

At least you folks werent approached by some guy who calls him self an owner and cursed at for nothing more than "freedom of speech" as you can see in my post above.

I would highly urge you to post your negative experiences on another board called yelp.com as well. There are a plethora of complaints there too!

I have said it once and ill say it again. In an economy in which people watch their money carefully, you definately do not need to bother with this place. Why in the world would you have someone "OWNER - SAM" giving you service such as this (Sams Comments)

(THESE ARE HIS WORDS FROM ABOVE) "Some establishments have the mentality of the "customer is right no matter what'. At Relax Grill we highly respect our customers and our staff, and nobody is allowed whether it is a customer or a staff member to over step basic human communication skills, and we do not tolarate rude customers and customers that can not handle thier alcholic beverages."

Now, mind you... while not something to brag about, my tolerance for alcohol is rather high, its my tolerance for ignorance, and poor service that irritates me. Some estabishments have the mentality of customer is right? Umm.. yes, generally those are the companies reaching out to their clientele to make sure they are happy and whom go beyond to make things work.

I dont know, lets see... Disney, Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott, Starwood Resorts, all companies I have worked for don't seem to be failing right now... I wonder why that is? While you may pay a bit extra for this places, why do you do it? (service) (service) (service)

Ill share one saying that I recal from the Ritz that all companies should live by. (though this one never could, as you look at their management)

The Employee Promise

At The Ritz-Carlton, our Ladies and Gentlemen are the most important resource in our service commitment to our guests.

By applying the principles of trust, honesty, respect, integrity and commitment, we nurture and maximize talent to the benefit of each individual and the company.

The Ritz-Carlton fosters a work environment where diversity is valued, quality of life is enhanced, individual aspirations are fulfilled, and The Ritz-Carlton Mystique is strengthened.

19th of Jun, 2009

read scott jospehs article online about this place, its pretty funny!

• Ry
      24th of Jul, 2009

Sam Chatah is a convicted felon out of the state of NY. Don't support criminals

24th of Jul, 2009

Wow! Really Ryan? Can this be proven, do you know what the charges were? Would explain the "goons" he has working there...

25th of Jul, 2009

As I know Mr. Ryan you know Erik's gambling habbit and you shared that, so instead of blaming me for losing your money that he had convinced that I did. I really do not know if you are stupid or just plain ignorant, or you have your own reasons to want to believe that?????????????
    Erik not only borrowed money from you for his gambling habbits, but borrowed from a lot of people, and if you would like me to provide you with that list I will be glad to do so. I had the pleasure of meeting some of his bookies, and had the pleasure of keeping every email that was sent to me since the day I met him, and if you would like I would not mind copying you and the Orlando and NH society to show you who this guy is!!!
    You on the other hand got down to a lower level of humanity than a rat waiting for the dark to come out and bite. If you are not man enough to face you problems do not try to blame them on some else, you are as guilty as Erik is because you helped him keep and up keep his gambling habbit knowingly, and I can proove that!!!.
    People like you do not deserve my response, but this is to chalange you to proove your alligations of what you called criminal act in NY.
    And in the same time dig inside you and try to find out why you really are acting that way you are. I was told I was way beneth you??? and you are the man that owens this city, and thank God for the technology I found out "you do not".!!! You as some of your friends called a BIG SCAM, have issues with people that do not buy thier ###, and have a problem with people they can not be intimidate or scamed by you when they need to.
    Your money had been spent by your friend, so instead of looking in the wrong place go to NH and try to get it there.
    Soon I will make sure every piece of info I have about you and your body will go to the places they need to go to.
    Your friend is a big loser who made a living on telling people that he came from a rich family, and scamed a lot of people using that, I had the pleasure of meeting his parents and they amazing people and actually humans and somehow gave birth to him!!!. I have bank statments that he had provided me with that enough to show you and Orlando, and NH what kind of person he is. He was never a business man he just was a guy that never had any ethics, he was just a proffisional gambler not GOLFER.

25th of Jul, 2009

And something else Mr Ryan why don't you ask your friend Erik what happened to the money he borrowed from his EX IN LAWS for the business too???????????? and ask him for the money he collected on selling Erik's over and over so many times, and if he can not provide with that info I will be more glad to do so.

Please excuse my spelling I was not educated in the same collage you where...

Dear Ryan:

I hope your friend did not get a job with that small NH town as a police officer, because if he did I would not want to live in that town even if it is the last place on earth to live, it would be interesting for a town to hire a police officer without extensive background check, because if they did he would have a zero chance of being there. I just can not see a carrier gambler in any uniform with public money around him, " specially around football season"!!! And if he is actually a police officer now, I believe the IA office at that town and maybe the state of NH should know about this.