Regions Bank / fraud and cheating

United States Review updated:
4.3

I am another regions customer who was victimized by Regions' scam. The bank held a deposit and allowed payments to transact so that they can collect 105 dollars worth of fees. I keep an accurate transaction register, I made a deposit, called my bank and looked on the on-line ledger. Everything indicated that I had enough money to cover a 45 dollar debit at Kroger. In order to be even more on the safe side, I went ahead and made a deposit for 100 dollars to safe guard against errors. A lot of good it did me.

Here is how it worked. The bank held the deposit, allowed a transaction to go through, charged me an overdraft fee for that transaction and since I was cutting it so close, everything after that first NSF bounce resulting in 105 dollar overdraft fees. Since I did not allot for NSF, of course I would have bounced transactions.

Of course, the banks are right because they are the ones who have control over when they allow transactions to take place. This BS about real time is a bunch of crock. Regions hold deposits on purpose so that they can steal and defraud you of money. The sad part is that no matter how much customers complain of their unfair practice, I have not read anywhere where customers get resolutions.
Va

Comments

Us
  26th of Jan, 2009
I have been with Regions since they bought the bank I used to be with.(this has been about 4 years now) I have not had a single incident like this. My paychecks before I had the option to Direct Deposit were all posted promptly.
Mi
  17th of Mar, 2009
same happen to me. They charged me 8+ overdraft fees on my account while i know that i did not buy anything or use my card.

This is getting out of control. I'm going to report this to BBB and sue them
St
  12th of Aug, 2009
Not alone! right as we speak they have charged three overdraft fees that aren't warranted.
This isn't the first time either. Two weeks ago they gave me two that shouldnt have been applied to my account. A few months ago same thing. When I went to my local branch the manager exclaimed " we can credit your account, if, you fill out an application for visa overdraft protection". I recently read an article that explained that banks make as much money on overdraft fees from just ten percent of their customers as they do in all other transactions, but, unfair fees over and over? I'll lay and wait for the class action suit. Got my records and witnesses lol they actually pulled this in front of my wife who dosent even bank there lol
Ka
  30th of Dec, 2009
I can say that this has happen to my husband and I before. In our case we have been charged overdraft fees without ever overdrafting this week and last week alone they have charged us over $300 worth in fees. My sister works with a different bank and tld me that regions policy was to put all debits before credits no matter when they are posted to your account, which is cheating you completely. Regions will find anyway to make money off of you they can, We are changeing banks right after the new year!!
Da
  24th of May, 2011
I just looked at my account it it was 586 dollars in the hole, all over a credit card transaction that occurred three weeks ago, all of a sudden they are putting it and about 10 other thing through daily, and then removing them from the previous day, but keeping the overdraft fee. I can not even explain how angry I am at this. I have been printing my statement out daily, the customer support lady said you can't rely on the online statement, it is inaccurate, with is bull because my account is accurately 586 dollars in the hole. I'll be closing my account tomorrow, I would suggest we get together and start a class action law suit.
Ki
  2nd of Jul, 2011
This bank should be out of business because they are charging the customers fees just because they can. This bank holds transactions until they put your account in the hole by overdrafts and then they charge you another overdrafts for the rest of the transactions. For example, they hold all the small transactions like $20 or less for many days and debit your account in the same day with one big charge, which should take more than one day to put you in overdraft. I asked the manager one day, if I have 8 transactions worth of $120 from 4 days and one transaction for $ 300 on the same day, if I had in my account $ 415. Should I be charged just one overdraft rather than $216 for 6 overdraft fees? He said, "The bank's policy is to debit the large amount first and that is for the customer’s benefits because it could be a house payment and the bank does not want the customer to be in bad standing with the creditor, it is for the customer’s protection".
I can see putting the customer in the hole for $216 for his own protection is working great for the bank.
It is not fair that I use my dept card and the bank has the right to hold the transaction and charge it whenever they feel they can make money out of it.
If there is a lawyer out there who wants to start a class action lawsuit, I am in.
I have had my account since this bank used to be Magna bank and Union Planter after that, but I have not seen anything like Regions bank
Mw
  6th of May, 2012
Regions bank officials in partnership with regions bank employees stop embezzling out of my account and pay compensation fees now
Mw
  7th of May, 2012
If regions bank dose not pay my clame I well legally bring actions agenst regions bank company for payment of my matshall gordons compensation fee for 4 million dollers. two million for me marshall gordon one million for lawyer if well do on contenjency. And one million gose streaight to famlys who need it in the amount of 100 thousand dollers per famly tell the one million for familys is gone
Pa
  8th of Sep, 2014
They are liars, cheats and thieves. They hold yo"ur deposit (even a cash deposit) even though your online account shows that the deposit has been credited to your account, and it shows the amount of the deposit in your available funds, and then they put through all other transactions instantly, refusing to utilize your deposit (made in cash, showing under "available balance"), just so they can charge you $36/item overdraft fees. Then these fees pretty much negate your deposit, eat it all up, so that any other transactions you perform, confident you have deposited enough to cover everything, are paid out but charged $36/item overdraft fees. In three days, Regions charged me $324 in overdraft fees, putting me into a negative balance, even though I should have had a couple of hundred dollars left in the account. I confronted the manager of my branch, accused her of "creative accounting" and "deceptive accounting prctices" and she just signed and rolled her eyes, like I was too stupid to understand. Yeah, like I would want to pay a $36 overdraft fee for a $4.99 charge on Amazon! THESE PEOPLE HAVE FOUND A LEGAL WAY TO STEAL YOUR MONEY! BEWARE!!!

Regions Financial Corporation Logo Regions Financial Corporation