Regional Yellow Pages Online / Did not Authorize

1 Pensacola, FL, United States Review updated:

Received a notice from A.C.A. Recovery, Inc. stating that my account from Regional Yellow Pages Online had been turned over to them for collection. I never authorized any business from Regional Yellow Pages. They played a very suspect tape with the voice of my ex-office manager supposedly authorizing this. Each answer on this tape had a tremendous pause between each answer, not a normal conversation. I called her and she said she never authorized anything as she kne she did not have the authority. This collection agency claims I owe over $600. I have never received a bill from Regional Yellow Pages that I am aware of or I would have definately disputed it at that time. I am going through legal channels now.

Comments

• Aa
      18th of Sep, 2009

The same thing has happened to me. I am even on the tape. I have told them several times to fax me the information regarding this account. They haven't produced anything except an invoice. I also have nothing in my records of this company. Fishy I say. I am currently disputing this also. These online scammers are misleading and very tricky.

• Va
      29th of Sep, 2009

I also have been receiving invoice from Regional Yellow Pages Online, of which they claims was authorized by my office manager who really knows better that authorize anything.
    When they talked to her, they turned around and said that I verbally authorized it two years ago. If so why are they just billing us now. For sure I did nor agree on anyhting. They can not produce anything to prove that I authorized or agree on anything.
    Please try to stop this people. they are scamming a lot of people.
    This one is from Regional Yellow Pages Online
    626 Rex-Corp Plaza, PHB-6111
    Uniondale, NY 11556
    1-866-689-5084

• Me
      2nd of Oct, 2009

I am in the middle of the same exact scam - is there any way out of this???
    Marianne

• Sp
      2nd of Oct, 2009

It is a well known fact that dealing with telemarketing agents can sometimes be one of life's most stressful and stagnating experiences.

Harassing calls, threats and use of obscene language can pressurize you to the edge and moreover, a collector may embarrass you by contacting your employer or even be pursued to disburse for a debt that is not rightfully yours.

There are limits on how far telemarketers can go, that is why we provide information on how to put an end to telemarketer calls and more efficiently, how to correspond with them about your account and/or to dispute a collection action and can teach you what are your rights in terms of privacy.

You can find out more information on our website: www.spgconsultants.webs.com

By informing each other, we protect each other.

Sincerely,

• Gm
      7th of Oct, 2009

I am currently in the midst of this nonsense. It began with getting a call from a person saying my ad was being cancelled, I said I was not aware of the ad, but send an invoice, and I would look at it. An invoice came a month later with a stamp on the envelope, (not metered mail). It appeared to be a normal invoice wanting $430 or so. I looked at the website, which was not easily found on a first, second or third page google search. Did not find my business listed. Ignored the invoice. Get a call from a foreign speaking woman from the "pre-legal" dept. who basically demanded payment or go to collections. I said I believe this to be a scam, and need proof of authorization for this ad. She said she would contact her "I.T. dept" and get that proof. A couple weeks later she calls again with the same demands, but this time I only have 3 days until collection. I said I never got the proof I asked for, she said she had called me with that recording of myself, which is not true. Once again, I said I'm not falling for this, so, come up with that proof or go [censored] yourself, and this time you only have 3 days sweetheart, the burden of proof is on you, get busy. I have no intention of paying anything, even if they come up with some sort of edited version of a phone call. I hear these people will call you, ask questions that make you say "yes", and edit it into a false approval.

• Cs
      23rd of Oct, 2009

Hi, I got the same letter from ACA Recovery for the unauthorized listing on Regional Yellow Pages Online.
    Perhaps could you advise what have you done to stop this scamming?

Thank you.

• Mi
      9th of Nov, 2009

I also got the same letter from A.C. A. Recovery saying I authorized to be put on the Regional Yellow Pages On Line, I never authorized anything, the lady I talked to from this company was very rude and told me to have my lawyer ready, because I was getting Sued for this unpaid balance, then she hung up on me. I like the way when you're on hold how they say they are a professional company with professional customer service help, what ever. I tried to dispute the recording they played for me, but the person at this company just yelled at me then proceeded to play the recording again, I hung up knowing I wasn't going to get any where with this person, 10 minutes later she called me back and then she proceeded to tell me I was getting sued and how rude I was for hanging up on her, again What Ever. I can't believe this company is in business. All I can say to this company bring on your Lawyer's, you don't have anything with my signature on it authorizing anything, all you have is a recording, I would like to see that stand up in court and also they misspelled my name

• Co
      10th of Nov, 2009

We experienced the same situation at our business location. Same exact senario!
    The A.C.A. Recovery, Inc. is trying to extort money from us stating that we authorized the listing? All I can say is whoever you are your not going to get away with this current scam that you are trying to pull off on small businesses!

• Ww
      16th of Nov, 2009

I have the exact same experience as Corvette Clinic - right down to misspelling my name. Every time I insisted on written, signed documentation, all she would say was that I had a verbal contract and that there was no way to contact the originator of the bill, that they would not answer my calls. So I am going to file this under SCAMS and file a complaint with the FTC

"The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish (bilingual counselors are available to take complaints), or to get free information on any of 150 consumer topics, call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the complaint form at http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/complaint.htm. "

• Ge
      30th of Nov, 2009

We received the same cancellation "invoice" if you read the back carefully, it say that it is not really an invoice but an advertising agreement. If you return and pay it, you are actually obligating yourself to the terms on the "invoice". Call them, tell them you are not paying, and that you have contacted the BBB, FTC, and FCC. They will say that they have to review their records and someone in billing will call you back. That call will never come. What will come is a phone call from a C.S. rep once they find all the complaints you have filed. That rep will deny any wrongdoing but will get rid of the account for free since it was just a misunderstanding. They will also ask that you drop the complaints. DO NOT DO IT! They won't bother you again but everyone needs to be informed about this kind of ###.

• Fr
      10th of Dec, 2009

Unbelievable ... We just had the same letter from both A.C.A. Recovery and the Regional Yellow Pages Online. I listened to the tape -- it was very convincing that one of my employees had "authorized" this transaction, but in fact, all she was saying was, "yes" to certain questions. I'm certain they rigged the tape. This is unbelievable.

• Ad
      11th of Dec, 2009

On behalf of a client of mine in Phoenix, AZ, I am going through the exact same run-around. We were first contacted in January of '09 and after many conversations, between Lucy Anderson and myself, the same results...can't produce any written authorization. She can only say it goes back to 2007 and at that time the bill was $479.95 and now in Dec '09 A.C.A. Recovery wants $604.95. The supposed attorney I talked with, Jim Murphy, also could not produce any originating authorization, he only wanted a check or "will take further action". RYPO did agree to negociate it down to their non-profit rate yesterday and was shocked to find out my client is, in fact, a non-profit. I will be referring my complaint to the Attorney General of the State of Arizona. I would encourage all others to contact higher governing bodies than BBB and Chamber of Commerce. I've been in the advertising business for over 34 years and these sort of scams are becoming more and more prevalent every day.

• Po
      16th of Dec, 2009

I am currently in the same predicament with this ripoff company. They have a recording of me verifying my business address & contact information--There is no clear recording of me agreeing to pay for their service.
    After countless phone calls, intimidation, harrassment, scare tactics & threats toput me in collections & sue me--- I broke down & agreed to pay them--I gave them my credit card number(which they recorded) but fortunately my card denied them-even though I have the money available.

After doing research on this company & their unscrupulous tactics, I plan to fight this--they bullied me into agreeing to pay them. I have never recieved the first invoice or any written information as to what service they are supposedly providing my company.
    Frustrated in Tennessee

• Al
      21st of Dec, 2009

We also were scammed. I have been in credit and collections for many years and was already armed and ready after I received the invoice. Their internal collector said the same things as mentioned above and I "duped" her with my own defenses and profanity, and hung up on her saying lets go to court and let the Black Robes decide. Being an old pro, I know what practices are being allowed now days. "Homey don't play that"!!!

Almost conned in California

• Lo
      22nd of Dec, 2009

OOOOHHH!!!, I definately AGREE. We have received the same stuff and when I ask for them to send me the bill and proof that this is indeed something i signed up for then they just get an attitude and want to know if I plan on paying it and I tell them...NO, I SURE DON'T!!! So, now i have received the "Collections" letter. This is rediculous...I filed a complaint with the BBB, which I am a member of.

• Ka
      29th of Dec, 2009

I own a salon in Bellevue, Washington and is currently experiencing the same issue. My initial conversation with this company was regarding payment on an invoice due for the year October 1, 2008 to September 30, 2009. I asked them to forward a copy of the invoice for me to review it with my wife and in turn they are using my telephone conversation as an agreement to pay this invoice. My wife has never heard of Regional Yellow Pages Online nor has she agreed to a contract with them. For this very reason, we do not do business verbally. They are trying to misconstrue our conversation to their advantage. I just filed a complaint with the FTC and suggest everyone to do the same. We will have a better case if more people would voice their complaints too.

• Dr
      7th of Jan, 2010

I am in North Carolina and also have a similar experience. They call up about paying a bill and ask if I am authorized to pay it.
    I told the very clearly I have no idea who they are and if I owe a bill I will pay it, I would have to reseach it. We are not engaged in
    online business so I have no interest in online advertizing. As far as I can tell I never authorized or received any service of any kind
    from this company - if it really exists!
    They played back a tape in which someone asked if I was authorized to pay bills and if I was the person to whom bills should be sent,
    which I am. They say that proves that I agreed to pay the bill. I was very careful not to say I would pay the bill because I was pretty
    sure I did not owe it.
    This company appears to be a scam that trys to bully people into paying for services the never receive.

• Et
      19th of Jan, 2010

Same boat here... we are a church and they did the same exact thing you guys have posted here. I have no plans on paying it and have contacted all the complaint bureaus that I can. Please keep posted if anything transpires with any of you guys dealing with this or if you have any further advice for us all... Thanks.

• As
      19th of Jan, 2010

AGAIN ANOTHER VICTIM OF THIS SCAN. HAVE BEEN RECEIVING THREATING CALLS FROM THESE IDIOTS, AND I DON'T HAVE TIME RUNNING MY SALON TO HAVE MY CUSTOMERS PHONE TIME FOR APPOINTMENT MAKING ENTERUPTED. NEVER HEARD OF THEM MUCH LESS AGREE TO A CONTRACT. DUH !!
    A.G.A RECOVERY, INC. SENT COLLECTION LETTER IN THE AMOUNT OF
    $604.95 DATED JAN.2, 2010, CONTACT AGENT MR. CUTER. I COULDN'T EVEN GET A RETURN CALL FROM THEM.
    I WILL BE NOTIFING BBB, FTC, FCC. AND WHO EVERELSE I COME ACROSS. I AM ALSO REQUESTING THAT THE RESOLUTION TO THIS FRAUD, THE AGONIZING THREATS, "MY", TIME INTERUPTING MY BUSINESS, TRYING TO DESTORY MY PERFECT BUSINESS RECORD, BE A COMPENSATION OF NO LESS THAN $4000.00!!!
    I AM ALSO MAKING A COPY OF ALL THE RECENT COMMENT POSTING. I WAS SO GLAD TO GET THIS INFORMATION. THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT SHARED THEIR EXPERIENCES. I TOO WILL BE CHECKING FOR FUTHER ADVICE AT THIS SIGHT.
    GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE !! REGIONAL YELLOW PAGES ONLINE, NEEDS TO PAY FOR THEIR FRAUD !!

A SHEAR EXPERIENCE, INC.
    ROANOKE, VIRGINIA

• Je
      19th of Jan, 2010

Same scam with my business I am located in Wisconsin. I called the Regional Yellow Pages On Line when I first received a bill on 8/10/09. I told them flat out that this was a scam and that I never authorized any buisness transactions with them. The girl on the phone ( Sophie ) said she would have an account agent call me be back. That call never came and today the collection letter came from A.C.A Recovery for the exact same amount as many of you have listed above, in the amount of 604.95. My husband called immedietly and after telling them we did not owe this money and that we would be sending them a bill for our time along with the certified dispute letter the girl on the phone from A.C.A. said " No money for me no money for you" and hung up. We will be contacting the BBB in New York and New Jersey as well as Wisconsin. We also plan on contacting the Attorney Generals office. There is no way I will send any of them a dime, like the others have said take me to court and see how far you get. Scams like this have to be stopped so please if this has happened to you contact the BBB and the Attorney Generals office. I feel very bad for the people who were bullied into actually giving these con-artists any money.

Jennifer