Regional Adjustment Bureau / Unsolicited phone calls

On 1/16/09 I received a call from a woman named Linda, identifying the company as RAB. She wanted to speak with me concerning a debt that I owe to Capital One. I called Capital One regarding settling this debt on 4/17/08 and was told By Marilyn, at [protected], that this debt was not mine. I disputed this debt on Equifax the same day.

After Linda called me on 1/16/09, I called Capital One at [protected] and spoke to Fiona at 6:30 pm, and she stated that this had this account charged off due to bankruptcy. However, I have never filed bankruptcy. Fiona said that an investigation needed to be done and call back. I called back at 9:00 am on 1/19/09 and spoke to Erin. She said the account was closed due to bankruptcy, and when I informed her that was not the case, she told me to call back on 1/26/09 to allow time for investigation and then a settlement could be reached.

I called Erin endlessly on 1/26/09 and could not reach her. I called the general number [protected] and spoke to Kelly, who informed me she was an account manager. I told her the conversation between Erin and I, and Kelly stated that they could not make a settlement with me, that I would have to call RAB. I called RAB at [protected] this morning at 10:30 am and spoke to West McDonald. I told Mr. McDonald that I had spoken to Linda on 1/16/09 regarding this debt and that she offered a settlement of $1000, and I would like to settle this account providing that they would send me documentation of the debt. Mr. McDonald stated that they sent a form to my current address, but Linda asked if my previous address was correct when I spoke to her. He said he would fax me the information. He declined to settle the debt with me for the $1000 stating that the rates for settlements change by the minute in the office, and once you hang up on an offer, the offer is no longer valid. Linda did not communicate this to me on 1/16/09. I had asked Linda on 1/16/09 if I could make the settlement in two payments of $500, but she said I had to pay the full amount now to get the offer on 1/16/09. I asked Mr. McDonald if the company accepted multiple payments and he said yes. When questioned about Linda's statement regarding the denial of multiple payments, he refused to answer.

I settled the account for $2276, but I feel that the company uses unfair tactics to jack the bill up. Once an offer is made, proof of the debt is required by law to be sent in 5 days, which I have yet to receive. The fact that Linda lied about being able to take multiple payments is deplorable.

Sh

Comments

To
  8th of Mar, 2009

I had the same issue regarding a capital one bill as well. I settled for $600 on Feb 20, and have yet to receive my letter stating that I payed that amount and it is off my credit. As of March 8 I called put in my info for my account and it said that I paid the 600 and that I owe another 605. I have yet to receive my letter that this Theresa had said I would recieve.

2nd of Jun, 2009

I am being harassed by RAB, collecting for FIFTH THIRD BANK. Once you make a payment to them (to their satisfaction), a different rep will immediately start harassing you in an effort to collect even more money before it's due!

I have also been plagued by RAB representatives 'double talk'. It seems to me their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing. This is what convinces me that we are dealing with full blown idiots who more than likely were at one time or another in the same unfortunate financial bind that we are in.

Threatening, degrading, harassing or treating someone who lost their job due to illness or the current financial crisis, with such disrespect is inexcusable.

RAB's kindergarten excuses of 'losing' or 'misplacing' automobile titles, faxes, payment records and settlement documents is at the very least unethical; it is definitely willful negligence and should be punished as such in a court of law.

I would suggest that anyone that is dealing with RAB, get an attorney to phone them and act as your liaison BEFORE you send them any money. After all, these Bozo's start their collections on you at day 31...which means you've got another 29 days before they can report you to the credit bureaus for a second month. RAB's main purpose is to humiliate or scare you into paying your debt, which DUH...if we could of we would of! They're certainly not going to immediately repo your vehicle. It costs them too much at this point the game; besides, they don't even know where most of you keep your vehicle!

If you can't get an attorney, at the very least, digitally record every conversation you have with all RAB reps. If you Google 'Regional Adjustment Bureau complaints', you'll see that the makings of what looks to me like a class action suit are already in progress... ANY WILLING ATTORNEYS OUT THERE???

Lo
  27th of Aug, 2009

you know what, if you pay your bill in monthly payments you wont be bothered with calls or contacts maybe if you would pay SOMETHING at least in an arrangement they wouldnt get so pushy with you. You think you can take merchandise or use a loan that you were granted and just never pay for those things?
I don't understand how someone who has "stolen" money or products and has just dodged all the nice attempts to take care of the matter can have an egotistical outlook as if it's it YOU in the right. Pay your bills, or don't extend yourself beyond your means.
Ignoring a bill, debt collector is not a good thing for you.
The debt collectors want to work with you to help you take care of the debt. Yes they need the balance in full, they want to recover your delinquent account as quickly as possible in whatever way that is, but if that, (the balance or settlement), is absolutley not possible for you to come up with and maybe if you'd get off your ego and explain things as they are what you can or cannot afford to do monthly you would not be pushed.
Get off your trip about your privacy and rights... it's illeagal to just expect to never pay for things you have obtained in good faith. Pay your bill, even if it's a little at a time.

28th of Aug, 2009

Hey Logoslavida,

What these folks are commenting on is, they aren't trying to steal, nor are they making an attempt to run from or 'DODGE' their debts. They're trying to fix the problem! REGIONAL ADJUSTMENT BUREAU'S representatives add to the problem, and seemingly enjoy it! Obviously you are someone that can neither understand, nor comprehend what you are reading.

In my post I conveyed that I PAID R.A.B. WHAT THEY REQUESTED THAT I PAY. That same payment brought my account more than up to date, as I was only 37 days past my original due date in making ONE payment...I paid RAB two months worth. The next day another rep began harassing me for an extra 2 months of payments that weren't even due yet. They told me they would 'allow me' to make my regular payments (scheduled as previously agreed upon with another rep) only if I would now post date checks or give them a credit card number in which they would withdraw the payments when due, for an extra fee of course.

To update you and others that are reading this; after my threats to sue RAB; as I did nothing wrong and my one LATE payment plus an extra one, had been made on day 37, things quieted down; until a few days before my next payment was ABOUT to be due. RAB again started back up, this time leaving messages every hour. I contacted Fifth Third to see if I had to make my remaining payments as scheduled to them or to RAB. I was informed that my account was not in collections! I then contacted 'Michele', the head of collections at Fifth Third Cincinnati requesting a payoff amount; in which she kindly got back with me as to the amount; and I paid the vehicle off the next day.

About a week later I came home to hourly messages from 'Angela' from RAB. I returned her call and informed a 'Travis' that the vehicle was paid off at Fifth Third. He said they would note my account. The next day Angela from RAB starts up with the hourly phone messages again. I return her call, only to be further harassed, as she gets irate and tells me that "Fifth Third didn't get my payoff and they have no record of it either" and she's "going to schedule my vehicle for repossession because of client's refusal to pay". I honestly tried to deal with her in a decent and rational manner, in fact she hung up on me but I called her back, only to be hung up on again! I got two more days of harassing phone messages every hour from Angela...and then it was over...and Fifth Third sent me my title!

As for you Logoslavida, shame on you. Some real honest and kind folks can fall on hard times. They try to do the right thing and it eventually works out for them...and then there are those that sit real high up on their pedestals...pointing their boney little fingers down at anyone they can...until something bigger than them comes along. You might want to invest in a parachute in the near future.

Im
  18th of Jan, 2010

Today I got a call from a man named Tony Perkins asking for my ex-husband's wife. Apparently, he thought I was her. I asked who he was and he said his name a couple of times and that this was not a sales call. I asked where he was calling from and he said Regional Adjustement Bureau. I asked what kind of business this was and he wouldn't say - except that it is personal. I asked how he got my number and he said that I was listed me as a relative. I said I know of her but wasn't related and he asked me how old she is to see if she is the same person he was looking for. When I told him that I'd never met the woman, he asked me if there was a way I could leave a message for her. I told him that I've been divorced about 16 years and my ex got remarried about 7-8 years ago and I have no contact with them. He told me to ignore the problem and hung up on me.

I looked up the company on line and found these complaint sites. Just what I thought - a collection agency. I called a few times and asked for Tony Perkins. I wanted to let him know I didn't appreciate him hangin up on me and to find out if, in fact, the ex had listed me as a relative or if he had made that up. (Otherwise, I was going to try to report her for falsely giving out my number/harrassment. I wanted to make sure before I accused her of something she didn't do.) I spoke to 3 different women who answered and all hung up on me at some point. They didn't have my number in their system and either didn't know Tony or wouldn't put me through to him. None would tell me what kind of business Regional Adjustment Bureau was except that it was personal. I tried to explain that it was someone from their company who had called me asking me personal questions. They said it was probably a wrong number, gotten from the yellow pages, that because I had the same last name, or that he may have associated my name with the ex's wife. One of the women said her name was Elizabeth Meyer and one was Jamie Millhouse. They did say they were located in Memphis.

So, my concluded assumption is that the company is looking for my ex's wife and that she probably did not list my name as a relative and that the company will say anything to try to get to the person they are looking for, whether true or not.

18th of Jan, 2010

I. Melton,

R.A.B. is simply grabbing at anything that might possibly give them a 'lead' to get to the woman they're actually looking for... or they think they're looking for. They'll come up with many excuses for cross examining you and they'll say literally anything to get a rise out of you. They use ficticous names and IT IS ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO NOT TELL YOU THEY ARE ATTEMPTING TO COLLECT A DEBT!!! For your safety and peace of mind, don't EVER give anyone ANY information about yourself or someone else, over the phone.

Nu
  23rd of Feb, 2010

I have settled everything with RAB as of now. 2 weeks ago 5th 3rd bank said they will take payment for January and I agreed to let them take Februarys (even tho it wasn't late...) the next Friday. Instead, they turned me over to RAB that Saturday. Woohoo... SO, I agreed to give RAB FULL PAYMENT the next Friday. Then Wednesday RAB calls me again and advises me that FINALLY, 5th 3rd took the payment they were supposed to take the week before... OK so just take whats left this coming friday I tell them. NOW this week I have received a minimum of 3-6 phone calls per day from RAB. Since I am at work I don't answer, but when I call back to see wtf they want, they agree, I am current and to disregard the call. And so I get more phone calls. And the same thing. They won't leave me alone. They are HARRASSING ME AND I AM SICK OF IT!!! I do not owe any thing more until MARCH, and they STILL WONT LEAVE ME ALONE. I am looking for answers as to what I can do to turn them in for harassment. Any ideas anyone?

Tr
  1st of Mar, 2010

RAB, took over my debt for student loans, I never received any letters or phone calls. I called my student loan company to make a payment and they gave me their information. I called and Got a rep by the name of Julie Majors. She informed me that my taxes had been offset. I never received notice about this so I called the IRS and sure enough they were. She asked if I wanted to set up a payment plan and I was not ready to do that. She called me every day for about 3 weeks. I consolidated my loans and that paid them all off. Now I cant get anyone over there to talk to me. They tell me to call back in 3hrs or they are really rude to me.Julie majors is no where to be found. they always tell me that I am calling at the wrong time. I am starting to think that this small company is only good at one thing Harassing the hell out of you. Now noone knows when I will be taken off the offset list so I cannot file for my income tax.

Bm
  2nd of Jul, 2010

Tried and Sick:

Once a loan consolidates it is removed from the collections office and placed with the Department of Education. That's why no one is able to talk to you about this - you don't have an account there anymore. As for filing your taxes, you should call 1-800-304-3107.

12th of Jul, 2010

HI, MY NAME IS TAWANDA AND I HAVE A STUDENT LOAN OUT WITH NATIONAL STUDENT LOAN AND IN WHICH WAS SENT TO THE RAB. THEY SENT A LETTER FOR GARNISHMENT TO MY PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT. AT THAT TIME I CONTACTED NATIONAL STUDENT LOAN AND ASKED FOR HELP WITH THIS SITUATION. I WAS TOLD TO CONTACT RAB FOR A SECOND CHANCE, IN WHICH I DID. I SPOKE TO GARRY MOONEYHAM WHICH IS THE MOST RUDE "PROFESSIONAL" I HAVE EVER SPOKEN TO. HE DID NOT WANT TO AGREE WITH ME MAKING VOLUNTARY PAYMENTS EVERY MONTH. EVERYTHING THAT I SAID TO HIM HE BLEW IT OFF, AS IF I'M NOT TRYING. SO I CALLED BACK AND DEMANDED NOT TO SPEAK TO THIS FAKE PROFESSIONAL AGAIN. I SPOKE TO A ALLEN DAVIDSON WHICH WAS VERY HELPFUL.HE SIGNED ME UP FOR A AGREEMENT FOR 100.00 DOLLAR A MONTH PAYMENT PLAN FOR TEN MONTHS WHICH IS CONSIDERED THE FORGIVENESS PROGRAM. WHICH WAS FINE I WAS UNDER THE BELIFE THAT THE GARNISHMENTS WOULD BE HELD. [NOT] MY EMPLOYER GETS ANOTHER NOTIFICATION THAT THEY ARE GOING TO GARNISH. WHICH IS ACKWARD TO ME, FOR THE SIMPLE FACT I SIGNED ALL THE PAPER WORK THAT WAS MAILED TO ME AND RETURNED IT. NOW TODAY I CALL BACK TO SPEAK WITH MR.ALLEN DAVID ALLENSON AND ALL THE CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS ANSWERING THE PHONE SAID THAT MR.ALLEN DAVIDSON WORKS IN ANOTHER DEPT AND I CAN'T SPEAK TO HIM. NOW WHY IS IT THAT I CAN'T SPEAK TO THE PERSON WHO TOOK MY CHECKING ACCOUNT INFORMATION? THE CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS WOULD'NT EVEN LET ME SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR AT ALL. THEY WERE STATING THAT THEY WERE SUPERVISOR'S, BUT WHEN DO SUPERVISOR'S ANSWER THE PHONE? GARY MOONEYHAM IS THE WORST -UNPROFESSIONAL BUSSINESS MAN EVER, AND AS FOR RAB STAFF THEY ARE LIARS, AND FAKES. THE COMP SHOULD REALLY LOOK INTO HIRING A GROUP OF HONEST RESPECTFUL INDIVIDUALS.

Ra
  14th of Jul, 2010

RAB has lost the first payment I sent them for the rehabilitation program. I told my account representative, Mr. Mitchell that the check was enclosed with the rehabilitation application and that if they had received the application (which they had) then the check was there also. He said that I was mistaken and that I could be sure of my error if I would only check with my bank - for I would see that the check had not cleared. He refused to acknowledge or entertain that the check was somewhere (knowingly or unknowingly) in their possession. He then told me that this was the reason for the automatic checking account withdrawal - for if I had only given them access to my account this would not have happened... This "helpful service" was the same "service" the branch manager had informed me of when I set up my payment schedule. Initially the manager told me that it was required for all rehabilitation accounts. Upon pressing him for the details he conceded that "required" was not the best word - rather it was "encouraged". Is there a policy of misinformation and mismanagement at RAB with the intention of enrolling account holders in the automatic checking account withdrawal "service"?

P.S. Mr. Mitchel was both disrespectful and dismissive. I would encourage anyone who has him as their RAB contact to ask for another representative.

Co
  14th of Sep, 2010

These "highly trained" people keep calling and harrassing us early am and late pm even though we told them we don't know who they are and the person they are looking for doesn't even live here or has any association with our phone number. After FORMALLY letting them know that they are NOT TO CALL AGAIN which becomes a crime if they do again after you let them know that, they STILL call so we are filing a police report. Unethical and Unproffessional, where do they get their employees? How on earth can people who cannot even follow a linear train of thought be "highly trainbed" as it says on their website? I wouldn't hire these people to scoop poop off the sidewalk for me!

Kn
  11th of Oct, 2010

My wife and I have worked in legal department in collections for over 15 years. They use a dialer system and never pick up when they call. I picked up tonight and the rep started talking to me without verifying I am the husband. I told him I will get my wife she picked up and he didnt answer. He called back 20 seconds later. Same thing. He called back again in 20 seconds. It is a violation to call more than once and a violation of 3rd party disclosure with out verifying with my wife I am the husband since she now has a different last name than what is on the account. Each one a 2500 dollar fine. I had to ask the guy 4 times for his phone number and he also hung up on me when I asked for the address. And I never get emotional on these type of phone calls, I know the game. He seemed more stressed than I was was interesting. I never denied the debt and simply asked for a letter. Unproffesional and rude yes folks, but that can not be filed against them. What can be filed is the 3 violations in a span of 4 minutes. What you need to do is call the attorney general. Police reports do nothing. He will try calling them, which i tried 5 times and never got anyone on the phone, and he will ask them for a statement, recorded call or phone records (which we have). The attorney general will also send them a letter in which they need to respond within 30 days. He will also look up to see if there are other complaints which will show a pattern. He will then punish accordingly, wich 9 times out of ten will be favorable to you and end up having them owe you 2500 for each violation. During this time they are not allowed to contact you at all ever again, which will be a violation. After which you have done you need to contact the better business bureau, and they will go after them at all sides. The irony is I tried explaining our situation, asked for their phone number and address to take care of the issue, and the supervisor didn't listen to me at all and ended up hanging up on me without giving me an address. Point in fact, I had to ask for his call back number 4 times. I believe they rely on ignorance of individuals regarding the laws to badger people into paying, thinking that since consumers do not know the laws, it gives them free license to do what they want.

30th of Oct, 2010

Well, here's one for all of you! I don't have any debt problem at all. Regional Adjustment Bureau calls my home office phone number approximately 18-20 times a day looking for "other" people. Meaning anyone other than me or my husband or my three dogs. These people are rude, unprofessional, and should be prosecuted for harassment and badgering of ANYONE. Like I said, they aren't even looking for me or my husband, they are just nasty. It's like they don't believe that I am not the person they are looking for ! We are running a small plumbing business in CA (which in it'self is almost impossible) I don't have time to be answering THOSE calls from RAB. The next call I make is going to be to our attorney and I am going to open a law suit against them. I'm sick and tired of this. "This morning (it's now 8:30 a.m.) so far I have rec'd 4 calls from them. The last call the woman asked me if I didn't know how to just say to her "um, sorry you have the wrong #". ARE YOU KIDDING ME! F her ! I wanted to yank the skank right thru the phone and pummel her! I'm going after them legally! I feel sorry for anyone having to deal with these people. If I were any of YOU, I'd hire a lawyer and bring a class action law suit against them! That's my humble opinion. Thanks for reading.

Ka
  25th of Feb, 2011

my employer( who is a physician) received a phone call @ his home residence from a company named Regional Adjustment Bureau this woman identified herself as Lynn Matthews after I received the info I contacted this company and was informed there is no information about me in the system this took well over 6 attempts and being hung up on multiple times. What can I do? This can cost me my job. Who can I contact to make sure this never happens again

Re
  19th of Mar, 2011

I used to work at regional adjustment bearu (RAB) In tx...Look from my experience dont take their crap, i used to work there and i was in medical collections and by the time i got there majority of the times i hear alot of bad comments to the customers alot. they really need to get noticed for this crap sooner or later they will get a huge slap in the face. they yell at customers like its the end of the world, if a customer owes money and cannot pay their debit then oh well we cant do anything, there are ways to help than to yell and yell and theres no point to talk to a supervisor in RAB trust me cause they do not care but want money they have no sympathy or not even a hint of caring in any situation(maybe they changed their policies who knows i left in oct 2010, But this is as far as i known and seen)... majority of the times when i ask for help when im on a call with a customer being this is my first job there all they say is dont fall for it or they trick u which some do BUT NOT ALL... they need notice of not only abiding by law on how they need to do collections, but also to show some careness... im actually glad lee fired me because even though he fired me for no reason i wanted to get out of that hell hole because its nothing but drama and unprofessional employees including lee and (sorry teresea) named Teresea you would think they would treat u as an employee but all the employees do including teresea is kiss [censor] to lee and normally i dont talk or say this but i had to let it out especially when she talks mess... but for those who owe debt dont stress dont let them put u down, if u have the money then good pay it off, but if u dont oh well u cant do anything but lord willing to help u save money and pay that debt off...anyways sorry if i let the personal out but had to let it out lol...but hope the other info helps.

Bl
  20th of Jun, 2011

*******************************************************

*First: Rab has nothing to do with titles, they take the payment send it to the original creditor and then you receive the title from them. They have no control over the information sent to them.

*Second: Rab in Tx is NOT the same company as the one located in TN. They have no connection what so ever.

*Third: If it is the wrong number they called then it is not their fault. They didn't put the number there. Simply tell them wrong number. End of story.

*Forth: Pay your bills, and then you won't have to worry about receiving calls from them.

Au
  2nd of Jul, 2012

Regional Adjustment Bureau has somehow picked up one of my student loans and is trying to collect it. The is completely bogus because the Department of Education discharged my loans due to permanent disability. Within a month of this happening this company is sending me the loan papers and calling me about 15 times a day. Since I no longer owe this money per the DOE this is a scheme to see if I am stupid enough to pay. I am not. I have sent them a letter to never contact me again, and if I do in fact owe this money, have the DOE cantact me since they own the debt and have cancelled it.

Bl
  3rd of Jul, 2012

@audacious...you are ignorant. It's not a scam. You did owe it at one time. All you had to do is send proof that you no longer owe the bill. The burden lies on you not them. Secondly: as far as titles and complete payments histories that is with you original creditor not RAB. If you have a problem them blame your ORIGINAL creditor. Thirdly: settlements change by the minute, again you can thank your ORIGINAL creditor for that. Everybody wants to play the blame game and make excuses. You fell behind and on hard times... ok but 4 years and you think you can still use that excuse and not pay your bill...its absurd. Let me see you just gives thousands of dollars of merchandise or cash to someone and never get your money back and see how far that gets you.I do understand some of the frustration, but they don't disclose the exact reason of the call until they are speaking with the debtor, for your protection by FEDERAL law...so all nosey people go whine somewhere else. Just remember when you start throwing stones, make sure you aren't standing in a glass house!

La
  15th of Jul, 2012

these rude people call me constantly in re: to my boyfriend's student loans. when i picked up once, the man on the phone wouldn't give me any information, tell me it was a personal call and he needed to talk to my boyfriend. he was snippy with me so i was snippy back. he then started asking me where my boyfriend worked. i wouldn't tell him since that it is personal information and he wasn't telling me what the call was in reference to. he finally just gave me his name and a number for my boyfriend to call back. we knew what he wanted but he was so rude. he also gave my boyfriend the whole "so you're refusing to pay?" situation, which isn't the case. we know the laws and we don't have enough money right now to pay the loans. these people are completely rude. they call constantly and never leave a message. they've even called my mother in another state, who my boyfriend has never used as a reference on anything. absolutely ridiculous. the one time they left a message on my phone, it was him constantly saying, "if you are not so and so, stop listening to this message, this is personal information". don't call my number then.