Redbox / billing error/additional charges

United States Review updated:

I work the graveyard shift and pretty much sleep during the daylight hours, so going to the video store is never convenient. I had Netflix previously but didn't really rent enough to make it cost efficient, so a friend recommended Redbox to me. Being a dollar a night and a pay-as-you-rent 24 hour kios, it was ideal. I made my first rental for four dvds and all was well. Returned them the next night, following all prompts, and saw the 4.12 charge the next day. All is good.

Except that a few days later, I see another charge. This time for over 25 dollars. I call Redbox, and after a long wait, speak with a rep who tells me this is b/c I didn't return the videos until a week later. What?! I explain what happened, but she then goes on to say that it's impossible that I returned them when I did because a tech checks each box each day and manually checks in any dvds that get "hung up" in the system. She also checks and sees that none of them were rented out during the time they said I had them. I request a supervisor. I explain to him and emphasize how this was my first time ever using the system and I'd be glad to cancel out my account (not lying to get out of paying a late fee basically) if it's refunded. He says he can do half. I explain again, how half would be acceptable if I kept the dvds, but I didn't. He finally agrees to refund the whole amount and I ask that any info/account created be removed.

It ended well, and in that regard, Redbox did right by me. However, I do want my experience to be "out there" as a complaint because consumers need to know how often these things happen. According to Redbox, they have counter measures to make sure these things don't happen, but in my case, none of them worked and they used them to try and discredit me. Since all of them rely on Redbox tech and Redbox information (no receipts at time of return, no camera, nothing...and please don't say we should read the fine print. It's fine for a reason), the consumer really has nothing but their word to back it up.

One thing to remember if using this service: Redbox rep said to look for an email that says you returned the dvds. If not, call them immediately. I received an email that specified the charges (for the one day amount) and thought that was the email they mentioned, but it was not, which was a bit misleading in my opinion.

Comments

• As
      9th of May, 2011

i believe you have many valid points. the thing is that the people at redbox cant really tell if your telling the truth or lying, so I know for a few agents, they sit at a moote point, simply using the "counter measures" to weed out those who are insecure, and actually being deceitful. Think about it! For the mistakes that Redbox makes, and say if you were to afflicted by one, why would those telling the truth settle for anything other then what should be given if they actually returned at the proper time! For a billion dollar company, you'd think that they can spare a few dollars here and there;

what you need to do is talk to someone who has a suave sounding voice, a sexy voice is guaranteed to scream customer service.

• As
      9th of May, 2011

VuT!?!? ! but how do you know that!? are you dustin?