Real Del Mar / &Bait and Switch&!

1 Mexico Review updated:

I was taken to Real Del Mar by an agent who knew I was interested in houses. I was shown a model at an area called Almalfi. I was told my house could be ready in six months. Well, I never bought it, I just felt uneasy. They were not putting my deposit into an escrow account, they did not have inspections and other basic checks and balances. I have been contacted continuously about this, or a condominium. I went there again, and over a year later the house they tried to sell me is not there, nor are any condominiums. I just want the agent to quit calling me to follow up again. I can see why people who have bought there are upset. The "amenities" they promise, pools, rec rooms, barbecue areas etc. are not in yet either. I would be afraid to own a home in a development that runs business this way. Condo ownership is even riskier, because all repairs and maintenance depend on the integrity of the developer. STAY AWAY from Real Del Mar.

Comments

• Ke
      21st of Jul, 2007

I played golf there, and stayed at the hotel. The construction of the hotel is enough to tell me not to buy their houses.

27th of Jul, 2007

The real estate market in Baja, and in Mexico is going down the toilet. It was booming because Americans were pulling money out of their houses which were going up at sky rocketing rates. Well, with the American housing market going flat,or even down, the Mexican market is busted. On top of that Americans who now realize how substandard their construction is, in developments like Real Del Mar, they are trying to dump them. They do not have to disclose the problems with the instability of the land, moving foundations, sewer problems, and polluted streams and beaches. Any problems a buyer discovers after turning over money is the new buyer's problem. The positive stories you read on the Internet by people who have a vested interest in selling properties in the area are for their benefit, not to inform potential buyers about the problems across the border.

Stay away from Real Del Mar, Baja, and Mexico in general. Invest your money, don't gamble with it.

28th of Jul, 2007

I looked at a condo around Puerto Nuevo last year, and almost all the units had deposits holding them in pre construction sales. In May I was there and most buyers had pulled out, and so most units were now available. Since they can't begin construction until they have most of the down payments I don't believe that development will be built for many years. This is indicative of the Baja market, sales are less than flat, they are plumiting. In two or three years there will be great bargains to take advantage of but right now owners are in denial about how bad it is and trying to get all the money they can from potential buyers. Real Del Mar will have even more existing houses available at rock bottom prices. Now is not a good time to buy in two or three years the prices will be like they were in the nineties.

11th of Aug, 2007

Best advise is to buy a house you want, not as an investment. Just as a car, that depreciates in value, you buy it because you like it. If it suits your lifestyle, go for it. Think about the money we spend on entertainment, clothes, meals out, etc. Why can't the house we have just be for fun and for our lifestyle? That being said, you don't want a lemon so if you have to buy, do it wisely. Otherwise, just rent a house for the time you have a vacation and be free of the hassles the rest of the year.