RDX Surround / Fraud and cheating

1 3 Road And SabaRichmond, British Columbia, Canada Review updated:

I was waved down while driving by a man from Quebec in his late twenties who said his name was Fred. He claimed that he worked for an audio distributor, and that he had just received a shipment of home theater systems.

He told me that he had received 2 more speakers than he was supposed to pick up, and that because he was borrowing his boss's truck, he either had to sell them now or bring them back to his boss. He said that the last time this had happened, he had brought them back to his boss and his boss sold them for extra cash.

He said that even though they cost $3000, (the price tag was on the professional-looking box) he would sell them really cheap because otherwise his boss would get all the money. He was very enthusiastic and very believable- he even went so far as to open the box (which was properly sealed) and show me the equipment.

He showed me all sorts of 'proof, ' like the receipt for receiving the shipment which had recorded 2 boxes less than he had in his truck. (he counted them for me) He even told me that as he was from Quebec, (I speak french, and indeed he speaks french like someone from Quebec) he didn't know many people and he wondered if I wanted to go for a beer sometime. This is asked me AFTER I had paid him $360 for the speakers, and he even gave me his phone number (which he 'proved' was his by showing me on his phone profile page). His phone number, by the way, doesn't work.

He was very aware of how sketchy this seemed, and mentioned it several times, and went out of his way to show me anything that would convince me that he was honest- in short, he played his part very well.

Mi

Comments

6th of Feb, 2009

Totally agree! Same thing happened to me and my husband. Man approached us in the grocery store parking lot and said that he would sell for $400. I said no and my good hubby shook his head to the guy. We then proceeded to get in our car and drive away. The guy raced after us in his car and blocked the drive area, asked us how much cash we had. My husband looked in his wallet and told the guy 58 bucks. The guy said that he would sell it for that much. We thought we had walked away with a huge deal till we set the so called "$3000 system" up. Sounds like a system that you would pay closer to $58 for. So, I guess we got what we paid for.

• Gi
      11th of Feb, 2009

yeah I agree. This just happen to me. They drove next to me on the lights and he told me he had two extra systems worth $3000.00 each nd he will selit to me for what i got in wallet. I and up paying $125.oo.

• Sh
      23rd of Feb, 2009

Same thing happen to me.. I was at the bank and two guys med 20ty approached me while i was headed back to my car. He showed me his Book with the system inside that was priced for $2900.. I told the Guy i don't have that type of money to pay for something like that right now. he said well how much you have i said $100.00. I was thinking if he give this to me i will resell it for more. He said OK $200.00 you can have it. I was happy I thought I was going to make some Extra money. I got to my House and looked it up on line- i seen the wed site and Good happy .. No sooner after that I started to do some research then Discovered that I had lost $200.00. I took the ad I had the item on for sell for $1, 500. off, then wanted to fight somebody. I wish i can see those guys one more time. I will punch them 5 times in the face for each Box that they have in there SUV then run there pockets to Get my 1, 500 i should of made.

4th of Mar, 2009

I was just in flordia last week and got scammed my self in the parking lot w/ this cheap RDX Surround system..what a waste..$200 and then all the trouble to ship it home from there to Jersey. I wrote down their plate number so I am trying to find it because when I do I am calling the police and reporting them! I want my money back!

• La
      10th of Mar, 2009

i love my rdx system i payed 1500 for it and i love it ! i wouldnt sell it for the world. u guys know they have to pay 250 out of the pocket so if you got them for 200 then that means 50 bucks came out of their pockets, u owe these guys a hug!

• Ra
      11th of Mar, 2009

I just now purchased (may be from same person) with out knowing about the fraud. I have not opened the package yet. It is near lowes home improvement center, in Apex. Updating to show his track. Looks like from Benson NC, he is going north. Right now he is in Apex.
    Raj

• To
      12th of Mar, 2009

yes it is some kind of scam but i bought one for $200.00 but it sounds great you want find anything on the market that sounds any better for the money there were 2 guy that approached me today and i bought it for $200.00 took it home and hooked it all up and it sounds awsome to me very pleased actually

• Mi
      20th of Mar, 2009

It happened to me at Canadian Tire. The system was shown for 3500 dollars, and he asked for 700. I told him i dont have that kind of money, so we agreed on 290 bucks. He played the part great, but if i ever see that red explorer, He's dead. I dont appreciate getting ripped off, nor do you guys. I swear if i see this person, which i most likely will, he was chatting on his cell phone to a friend. There going to be a Philthy Mcnasties tonight in Burlington Ont. Hes going to be doubling my money, or loseing a tooth for every ten dollars he stole from me.

• Bo
      20th of Mar, 2009

BULL CRAP SCAMMERS! KILL EM!!!

23rd of Mar, 2009

my boyfriend got scammed too. Two guys showed him a book with the system in it and the actual price. They asked for $700 and when he said he didn't have that, they asked what did he have. He told them $100 and when they said no, he took their next offer of $300. He called me before he brought it to have me look it up. When I went on the website, it looked funny because it only showed the system and what it could do. Most websites show more than that. More info about the company. I decided to do some research and I came across this site with so many other people telling their story about how they have been scammed. I immediatly called my boyfriend to let him know of the scam. Too late, he had already brought it. I haven't heard the system yet, but these stories sound so similar to what just happened to my boyfriend.

• Oh
      24th of Mar, 2009

I dont know how you people are thinking your getting scammed. look up the model you have online and see how much its worth. then subtract what you paid and see what you saved.

• Ro
      24th of Mar, 2009

anyone can rig up a phoney website! Idiot! What sales person would sale a unit for $58, 100, 300, or even $500 if it retails for almost $4, 000! A crack head!

• La
      27th of Mar, 2009

wow seriously i just paid 400 for some RDX surround home theatre system either i thought it was reasonable because on the box it was 3000 bucks so i figured why not just buy it but i honestly regret it because no one wants to buy it now So i guess i did get scammed by the way it was ina future shop parking lot and the guys were in a Cadillac truck smoking pot and waht not . Same story he fed me about him have to giving it back to his boss like a little crackhead he was.

• Na
      28th of Mar, 2009

Yeah, the guys in Raleigh selling them got me outside of food lion. It's okay though, I wrote down their tag number just in case and now know where they live. Needless to say, I will get my revenge.

• De
      29th of Mar, 2009

well, well i guess i got lucky because the same story you guy are telling it happens to me but in my case the RDX surround system works great for $360 at first i thought it was a scam and i dont like to get burnt i told the guy i will hunt him like RAMBO if it doesnt work and he gave me his word so i feel bad for you suckers WOW !!!

• Dl
      29th of Mar, 2009

Got me too in pittsburgh, Pa outside a Giant Eagle. SAme story. Havent tried them yet. will see. These guys were really good. They played me perfectly. Something in my brain should have gone off but it didnt. Live and learn. it cost me $160. Yah and he said i should by him a beer next time i see him. Damn Scammers.

31st of Mar, 2009

hmm .. i wish i had know about this scam. Today I bought a set from a guy who said his name was Richard. He drove next to my car at home depot in Piscataway, NJ. At 110 bucks I thought 6 speakers were a steal. Have not tried them yet, so dont know how they will turn out. Even if they work well just for my computer system, it will be worth the money.

• Ke
      2nd of Apr, 2009

I just purchased a RDX surround sound system off ebay for 90.00 the retail price on the model says close to 4000.00 so i thought something was wrong. So I checked the website and as someone else mentioned it looked pretty strange that you can't click on the item it only give you a brief description. After reading all of these post I don't think I will pay for that crap and just deal with getting a negative on EBAY :o(

2nd of Apr, 2009

i work in nyc . 1 young guy approached me with a magazine with the rdx sysytem in it. it was priced at $3200.00 he was very hyper . he asked me how much you give me ? i said, $50.00 he says, give me $150.00 and i said, nah, i dont need it i have ( 2 )$3000.00 real systems at home 1 in bedroom and 1 in living room that i purchased in best buy. let me tell you for $3000.00 that rdx system looked very cheap, home theatre in a box. what he thought i was dum. no home theatre in a box cost $3000.00 you know the old saying if its 2 good to be true it probably is! especially in the streets! he didnt get me ! ha, ha! those freakin scammers that system is propably really worth $79.00

• Fr
      8th of Apr, 2009

How do these people sleep at night.. This fast talker named Lou played his part well.. I dropped 240. What a nightmare. They put weights in the speakers to make them feel heavier and removed all the good parts from the main hub. I tagged his license plate and snapped a picture of this buffoon..I'm heading to the district police station in the morning to file a police report and they are going to dust the system for prints.. I'll be updating more as this report goes. "Narghyle" if our plates match up we can take these creeps down. Seriously, if anyone is interested in following through with tracing these criminals email me. The internet CAN do wonders.

fridayknightlights@gmail.com