RCI / ever changing rules

United States Review updated:

This will probably be a longer than you would like, but it is truly a reflection of how I feel about RCI, their rules and their fees. Once upon a time (22 years ago, when I purchased my timeshare and joined RCI), life was easy. I deposited my week, paid a fee and traded for a week somewhere else for vacation. Life changed and it changed for the worse, much worse.

First, they tried to talk everyone into the points system and wanted to charge large fees for the privilege. For those who chose to stay with the weeks program, they basically forced the points system on us anyway by assigning a value to each deposit and at least for many of us, our timeshare resorts got seriously devalued. So, what are the chances that any of us can find a unit we want to trade for that is worth exactly what our deposit is worth? I have two weeks on deposit; one is worth 20 and the other 18. Do you think I can find a unit for 20 points? No, I have to combine deposits and pay an additional fee, or trade for one of less value and then pay RCI to extend the remaining point value so that next year, I can again pay a fee to combine the remaining points with my deposit worth 18 points. Either way, they found a way to get more money from me. This of course in addition to my annual membership fees that keep going up in cost. Now, I find they have added another detrimental kicker to the whole process.

My deposit for the 20 points expires in May 2016, so I looked to trade for something before then. I found something for late December 2015, but the value of it was 25 points. OK, I needed to combine deposits to get this unit (a studio mind you in Florida to my two bedroom). My annual membership expires in October 2015, so they wouldn't allow me to make this trade until I extended my membership. OK, so now, I need to extend my membership, and then pay the fee to combine deposits, and then pay the trade fee and then the final surprise. The 18 point deposit that was going to expire in May 2017, the 13 remaining points would now expire in February 2017, because I was going to use 5 of the points to combine with to 20 point deposit. That's right; I was going to lose 3 months off of the time to use it. Once you combine any deposit, the remaining points expire two years after use it for combining. This way, I could spend more money to extend the time available to use it. That really, really was the final straw. I cancelled the extension of my annual membership, I did not proceed with the trade and I am writing to express my frustration. I so want to sue RCI for changing the agreement I entered into with them, for unilaterally devaluing my assets, while implementing a system designed to raise my costs by double and triple.

I would seriously like the various boards of Directors to consider contacting other resorts in like situations and appeal to them to join in a lawsuit. I can't imagine that everyone isn't feeling similarly about what is going on.

If something isn't done soon, I see no value whatsoever in keeping my timeshare. The cost is becoming prohibitive and the only option is to give it up.

Te
Feb 17, 2015

Comments

• Fr
      30th of Nov, 2007
    RCI - have not gotten our id for RCI

Brought our RCI membership 9/18/2007

Have not received out ID numbers

What is the problem?

• Ha
      16th of Jan, 2008
    RCI - Soliciting me on a holiday!
    RCI

Is there anything I can do besides stopping my membership to stop RCI from calling me on national holidays to solicit me to bank my week? Plz advise smb!

19th of Aug, 2008

Same deal. Took them 18 months to send us a flyer. I had to call and badger someone for my number. Still have not received a vacation catalog, membership card, or any other info form RCI... except a magazine that says my membership will be expiring soon... Total rip off.

• Va
      31st of Oct, 2008
    RCI - Makes Unfair Timeshare Exchanges
    Indianapolis
    Indiana

Units offered by RCI in exchange for a banked unit is unfair and is not comparable in quality and size. RCI will not disclose the basis or formula RCI uses to determine what units are comparable or of similar quality and size. RCI members, particularly on the West Coast, please email me if you feel an unfair exchange was offered to you for your banked unit. Thanks.

• Ev
      6th of Feb, 2009
    RCI - Never I receive the package, and I pay 3750.00 for the vacation club in Domincan Republic in July 2008
    Manati, Puerto Rico

Im buy the Vacation Club in Dominic Republic and never receive the package. Im going to bank for cancel the second part because Im calling to Dominic Republic in August and never I receive papers about my Vacation Club. Im buying thah in July 2008 .

22nd of Feb, 2010

on this comment, RCI is not the real guilty guy. People going to hard sales presentation buy expensive vacation package in great properties and LOTS OF PROMISES. If you buy at a gold crown resort, remember that there are few gold crown resorts out there. Therefore, when you exchange, you will have to accept a lower category otherwise, nothing will never be available for you and your family. Sales representatives in these big organizations are ALL wrong. Buy your timeshare or vacation program in 3 stars resorts, at cheap price and not necessary with a title dead. A right to use is just great if you find the right property. At least you know that your contract will get to a end and not leaving headaches to your legacy.

• Me
      24th of Mar, 2010
    RCI - Good Job Resort Connection International
    Florida
    rcinow.com

I am amazed at how quickly my timeshare sold through www.rcinow.com I had 3 inquiries in the first week and one of those purchased the timeshare. Thank you so much. I will most certainly tell all my friends who have timeshare about this.

• Eu
      10th of Apr, 2010
    RCI - Great Job Resort Connection International!!
    Resort Connection Inernational
    Florida
    rcinow.com

With the economy being as it is, we anticipated difficulty in renting/selling our timeshare. Within 24 hours, we had 6 people contact us about purchasing, and even more for rental. We had priced it fairly based on market research, and sold it for the asking price within days. Thank you for a job well done!

• Ca
      16th of Apr, 2010

There are huge number of complaints about RCI, and legal proceedings. Just google RCI complaints!

• Eu
      6th of May, 2010

RCI stands for Resort Condominium International. It is this company that those google complaints are written about. The company which treated me very well is Resort Connection International. They are good!

• Su
      12th of Mar, 2016

I am wondering about the people who paid to upgrade from the credit system in RCI to the points system. Did the number of available locations increase substantially, as they claim? I feel like I am in between a rock and a hard place bc my Timeshare company switched from Interval International to RCI and now they want me to pay a substantial fee to switch to the Points system bc as people above, the "impartial people explaining how my new affiliation works" says that my resort won't have any value in the current system but I don't want to pay the substantial fee and have it turn out that it isn't any easier to book resorts. Please share your experiences if you have done the change. Thanks