Raymour & Flanigan / lying about financing!

1 N. 9th Street, Stroudsburg, PA 18360East Stroudsburg, PA, United States Review updated:

Purchased a bedroom set at the Stroudsburg, PA store. When we initially went into the store, the salesman was asked if Raymour had a financing plan like another area furniture store, Rosen's. We were looking for no payment/no interest for 1-3 years. The salesman assured us that Raymour did have that financing plan. He stated "absolutely, we can do that." Before placing the order he was told that we COULD NOT MAKE PAYMENTS on the furniture, but if payments/interest were deferred for a year, that would be fine, since my mother-in-law's home was on the market for sale. It is part of her estate. We told him that once the home was sold we would then pay off the balance owed on the furniture. He again told us yes, we will do that. In fact, he told us that if we only needed deferred payments for a year, Raymour could give us a discount on the bedroom set. We agreed and the order was placed. Now we are being billed by the bank. They want a $168 month payment. Seems the salesman only submitted for financing that was ONLY for deferred INTEREST, but payments are due. My husband contacted customer service when the first bill was received and was told not to worry, no payment was due, that was how the bank worked with this financing. When the second bill, requesting late fees and a double payment arrived, he again contacted them. Oh, a different story now. Seems the salesman is NO LONGER AN EMPLOYEE at the store. Seems he probably didn't know what he was doing when he submitted the financing. HOW VERY CONVENIENT. The store manager, through a customer service rep, told my husband that if he had contacted them after we got the first bill they could have rectified the problem, but since it is now the second bill, no they can't rectify it. He was supposed to call my husband to discuss this issue. He didn't bother. Now I've been trying to get an address for his superior and can't seem to get one. The store manager said that there's nothing they can do, since we got a second bill, notwithstanding the fact that it was his store's customer service who told my husband not to worry and there was no payment due when he called to alert them that we received a bill, the FIRST BILL. I am now disputing the entire bill and giving the bank the bottom line which is - we cannot afford to make these payments. We were told it was a deferred payment/deferred interest for a year financing plan. If it can't be worked out for the deferred payment/interest for a year, then the bank can remove the furniture from my home. Because this salesman submitted for financing other than what he told us was available and what he told us he was actually giving us, we are now responsible for payment of this furniture, it will be a problem credit report wise, and I may end up with no bedroom furniture. I now will not buy even a throw pillow from Raymour & Flanagan.

Co

Comments

• Fr
      9th of Aug, 2009

Maybe next time you should read the "Terms and Conditions" of the finance agreeing to finalize the purchase. I love when people feel they were cheated when if they took the time to READ it would save themselves a big headache!

• Je
      5th of Apr, 2010

I have had the same thing happen to me at R&F and another furniture store (the salesperson told me one thing, and the terms read another). Yes, I can spend 20 minutes reading a contract while a line develops behind me, or can listen to the EXPRESS PROMISES made by the store representatives who told me "no interest/no payments" until such-and-such date. If you as a retail dealer make assurances that contradict the contract at the very time you are inducing the customer into signing it, you should be held to those assurances, period.