Raymour & Flanigan / bed bugs

Upon graduating college and getting a job, my daughter's first major purchase was a bed room set from Raymour & Flannigans. She was so proud of herself. Our daughter immediately began to get hives.

Never thinking that Bed Bugs could be the problem, she visited allergist and dermatologist for solutions. After changing laundry soaps and chasing a non-existent allergy problem for months we discovered that her mattress was infested with Bed Bugs. The company refuses to take responsibility even though we never have had any pest problems until we brought their product into our home.

Our whole family now has the heebie-jeebies and have trouble sleeping at night and I have the expense of trying to rid our formerly happy home of these pests.

Va

Comments

• Ev
      25th of May, 2008

I DONT AGREE RAYMOUR IS THE BEST .THEY CARRY THE BEST QUALITY THE FURNITURE IS UNIQUE
    AND NO ONE OFFERS QUALITY WITH WARRANTY AND PROTECTION PLAN WITHIN RAYMOUR AND FLANIGAN CORPORATION.SO IF U SAY U GET A BED WITH BUGS FROM RAYMOUR YOU ARE A LIAR YOU PROBABLY BOUGHT IT IN MACYS OR SLEEPYS NEVER FROM RAYMOUR

• So
      25th of Jun, 2010

In October 2008, I purchased a bedroom set only since I already had a new box spring and mattress. Within one month, I noticed bites but had no idea what they were. The bites went away but returned in April 2009. My primary physician told me they were bed bug bites. R&F swore up and down they were not responsible for the bugs but I've been living in my apt. for 15 yrs. without incident. The exterminator advised that the bugs must have traveled in R&F's truck since they transport used and new furniture together. Also, the bugs hide in the cold months and return around Spring so it's a horrific experience that may never end.
    Almost 2 years later, I'm still trying to get rid of the bugs, and may have to throw out the bed that's not even two years old.
    Buyers please be aware when considering a purchase with R&F. They will not take responsibility for this problem which can be very costly and lasting.

• Ra
      4th of Jul, 2010

Bed bugs have become an epidemic in major metro markets, because they are densely populated areas. This issue has been heavily televised and documented within the last two years. The Federal Government held a Bed Bug Summit in spring 2009 to address the national bedbug outbreak. Bed bugs can spread in a multitude of ways. They are prevalent in multi family dwellings such as apartments. If you've spent time in a hotel, have a child that lives in a college dormitory or you live in a multi family dwelling, you need to take these factors in to consideration as the source of your infestation. Bed bugs can get in to your luggage or purses basically anywhere. Recently the Hollister Clothing Store in SoHo was shut down due to a bed bug infestation. I know that Raymour & Flanigan takes bed bugs seriously and their drive teams are hyperconcious about not picking up infested furniture from homes. I also know that they preemptively exterminate their facilities regularly and no infestations of any kind have been found in any of their service centers or their main distribution center. If you are in an apartment, most states have adopted some form of a uniform landlord tenant law. You need to find out if the failure to rid your apartment of these bed bugs is a denial of essential services. If indeed it is, you can pay for the extermination and deduct that from your rent. Call a legal aid clinic and ask whether this infestation would be a denial of essential services, and save your receipts. From what my understanding is, Raymour & Flanigan will exchange the furniture that was purchased from their stores if it becomes infested by an outside source while in the home. You need to have the home properly exterminated and treated, before they will deliver the new merchandise. That sounds more then fair to me.

• Er
      9th of Aug, 2010

Purchased new sectional in April of 2010 and after about a month of enjoying my new sofa realized I was being bitten by bed bugs. After doing some research online discovered my new sofa was infested with bed bugs. I saw them with my own eyes. There are no bed bugs in my bed, bedroom, only my new sofa. I called and left a message with the person who is responsible for such complaints and she has yet to return my phone call. The platinum protection plan that I purchased does not cover infestaions.

• Tu
      29th of Sep, 2010

I feel your pain. I also purchased a new brown sectional in April of 2010. It cost me $2700. I enjoyed my comfortable movie seats, up until yesterday when I discovered it was infested with bedbugs. I didn't realize it until then, that when the furniture was delivered it came off the truck unwrapped. It must have been infested with eggs and that is why we didn't notice them until months later.There are no bed bugs anywhere else in my home except the sectional loveseat. I too purchased the platinum protection plan, Its worthless in this situation. I wish it was something that can be done. I wish someone could inspect there warehouse. It's costing me alot of money and time to clean this mess up.

And to E.S. u can talk that now because you didn't have a bad break! But remember every Dog has it's Day.

• Ka
      7th of Aug, 2014

We are experiencing the same issue with our bed purchased in march of 2014. We are in the process of building a case through the better business bureau.

• St
      22nd of Jun, 2015

I have been living in my home for 30+ years. Aside from the occasional spider and perhaps a fly or two that have flown in when we opened the door (and our cats usually get those pretty quick), we have never in those 30 years had an insect "problem."

We, just last Wednesday had a living room set delivered by Raymour & Flanagan.

Yesterday we began to see little tiny ants (which creeped out my daughter), but only a few. By today, seeing LOTS more mostly around the new living room sectional.

ONLY variable is the furniture.

• Mi
      19th of Dec, 2017

My husband and I purchased our first new bed in 10 years. We went to Raymour and Flannigan. In June and July I had horrible hives and allergies. Dermatologist did testing and cut out some of the hives as well. I was told I had allergic reaction to bugs. I also got diagnosed with cellulitis. Well it is now December and guess what. We have bed bugs. It is a small.amount that is in just our adjustable box spring. Just cost a $1000 for Orkin to come and to tell is it's the bed. We have none any where else in the home. Called and they are stating that they neutralize and spray it's not from the. I told them when they pick up returns and take ild they are not experts and don't know what they are looking for. Orkin States they came in on the b d. It was maybe a few that took some time to lay eggs and create this mess. I just want my money back for my bed, take it away and pay the exterminator. My dermatologist and the purchase of the bed all coincide. Also the beds are from Vietnam. They travel so upstairs. Funny thing is. I'm still paying on the bed!!!