Rain Fitness / Refuses to close account

159 Western Ave W #355Seattle, WA, United States Review updated:

I went in to Rain Fitness at the beginning of last month to cancel my gym membership. Per the contract, you must give 30 days notice, which I did. However, they are refusing to cancel my account even though I've met all terms and conditions. As well, the owner Glenn and his staff have been incredibly rude and border line abusive at times when discussing this issue. This is not an isolated problem as MANY past members have also experienced difficulties with Glenn on membership cancellations, among other things.

And regarding services, the personal trainers are not very skilled and often have you do exercises that cause injury or exacerbate previous injuries.

I implore you to take your business elsewhere. This is not a gym that is run with integrity and honesty and with your health and well being in mind. Instead, it is about getting as much money out of you as possible. Don't be scammed or hurt.
Va

Comments

Ji
  8th of Aug, 2008
Same thing happened to me! I enrolled with Rain Fitness in Seattle through my work. I accepted another job in Texas and explained to them that I also need to cancel my mebership. They asked me to mail them a certified letter or come in to close it. Obviously I am not driving 3 days to close my account and I have since mailed them 2 letters that they have claimed they did not get. They continue to charge me via bank card a monthly membership fee so I canceled my Bank Card and reported the charges as unauthorized. They then started charging my wifes credit card. This is shady dealing, and my next step is to report them to the BBB and credit card fraud hotline. Do yourself a favor and never ever ever ever get a membership here!
Je
  28th of May, 2010
I have been a member of Rain Fitness three different times over the past 6 years, and at no point, was it ever difficult to close my account or restart it. In fact, the reason they have earned my repeat business is due to how they have hendled and taken care of me over the years. Had I been handled poorly, they would have lost my business. I have countless friends and co-workers that have been members too, and never have I heard of difficulties in closing ones account.
Ra
  24th of Dec, 2010
I concur, as I have never had issues with Rain regarding cancellation. While I am not a member currently, I have been twice over the past 6 plus years. Forgive me, but as a consumer, I am aware of my responsibilities as a party to an agreement. It disappoints me to see follow previous members not accepting any responsibility for their part. I have always understood the 30 day notice as well as the process for cancelling. I cannot imagine that I have been treated differently from these two other folks. What has our society come to, when it is always someone elses problem or responsibility. Wake up people!
Mg
  15th of Jun, 2011
same experience these guys are crooks
  17th of Oct, 2012

Rain Fitness - Shady Business Practices
Rain Fitness
159 Western Avenue #355 Seattle, WA
Seattle
Washington
Phone: (206) 283-7246
rainfitness.com

I feel that Rain Fitness and especially the company’s owner completely took advantage of me. I repeatedly tried to cancel my account because I was moving out of state, which is provided for in Rain Fitness’ contract. I submitted all the paperwork that I had, but the gym refused to cancel my account. They knew that I was moving, but decided not to honor an offer letter and confirmation of corporate housing instead of a lease. The whole situation was completely unethical and disrespectful to me as a paying customer.

Additionally, Rain Fitness' staff has the worst customer service that I have ever encountered. The general manger could not provide me with an official statement of my account and threatened to send me to collections if I did not pay ASAP. She was extremely rude in a number of conversations and I had to follow up with her a number of times to get a response for simple questions.

I would never join this gym again should I ever move back to Seattle. It was a horrible experience from start to finish. I highly advise that you STAY AWAY from Rain Fitness.
  18th of Oct, 2012
You should write them a CMRRR letter. A brief chronological history of events. Indicate clearly when when the letter and documents were delivered, and the date of they gave you a response for that they won't cancel. At this point mention and enclose the contract copy that supports your cancellation. Tell them as per that they the account was duly closed on the date they received your letter. Nothing else to argue about. At the bottom of that letter indicate cc, that it's copied to your former state's AG office, FTC, That new Federal consumer protection Bureau, Your Attorney, a local TV station, etc, etc... i.e. any body else you can think of. Indicate you expect them to honor their contract. If they have no intention of doing so then their contract was null and void ab initio, wasn't it then?

Always, ALWAYS cancel stuff with CMRRR. Even after a phone conversation follow it with CMRRRR.
  18th of Oct, 2012
Thanks so much! I will try this to see if it helps. If nothing else it's great advice if I ever get treated this poorly by a company again.

Rain Fitness' owner is very stubborn, and I can tell he's deadset on squeezing as much money as possible out of me. His unethical practices suggest that he is not concerned with his gym's reputation.
  19th of Oct, 2012
I will comment here for the benefit of anyone who might stumble on this because I just saw another rain gym cancellation refusal here -> https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/rain-fitness-shady-business-practices-c637158.html#c1275013

As a rule in life after you call to cancel stuff up ALWAYS follow it up with a letter CMRRR. Let's see them (or anyone else) claim they did not get it. Keep your actions per the contract, 30 days or whatever. You will not have to post here about cancellation issues with whoever.
  19th of Oct, 2012
BTW only the letter to Rain need to be CMRRR.

P/S
Looks like it's an old habit
  19th of Oct, 2012
Yes, it does appear that Rain Fitness has been taking advantage of a lot of people. Here's the Yelp reviews that I came across too:

Hopefully prospective members will read these before signing up so they fully understand Rain's poor reputation and histroy with handling customer service issues. I wish I had read these before I signed up!
Life today is thus:-
Google up, before a sign up.
Se
  16th of Jan, 2013
I have also had a similar situation only in my situation I had canceled my membership within the 3 day grace period that allows you a full refund. I waited weeks to have the balance returned to my account. Spoke to people on the phone, in person and via email, no help. I finally contacted my lawyer and they are putting together documentation to charge them with fraud.