Radio Shackinsurance ploy

They are holding my $250 dollar deposit hostage!! I tried to exchange a bad phone with a replacement because I bought their $80 replacement insurance. What a mistake that was! First off, their "substitute" phone was crap, and second they said it takes 30 days for them to give your money back! I have all the tracking documentation and would like to charge them interest.
The sales rep who initially sold me the phone said "if you have any problems with this phone, simply come into the store and we will exchange it right here". LIES.See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in Honolulu, HI You have to call into their service plan department and get a RA# then they take your deposit, ship out a 2nd phone then you put the bad one in the same box and stick the prepaid fedex ground shipping (very few locations for drop off) then ship it back to them. REMEMBER TO KEEP ALL DOCUMENTS AND TRACKING NUMBERS!!
The funny thing is- the deposit is for a phone that was refurbished to begin with, which is probably why I was having trouble with it randomly shutting off, thus missing many calls without my knowledge.
I DISCOURAGE ANYONE CONSIDERING SUBSCRIPTION OF CELL PHONE SERVICE FROM THEM! DO NOT FALL FOR THE INCENTIVES THEY TRY TO PUSH! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GO DIRECT TO THE CELL COMPANY RETAIL STOREFRONT.

Comments

• Pr
      Sep 24, 2009

I agree with the fact that the replacement plan is a crock - $20 more than the repair, and no added benefit. However, I have to believe that if Radio Shack was seriously holding your money for an unusual amount of time that you would have more legal avenues to take than venting on an online forum.
    It sucks that an employee misled you; I hope think perhaps he was just ill-trained. I will point out though that nearly ALL wireless providers require you to mail back the old phone in the box that your new phone is received when it arrives in the mail. At least, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile require it. A few locations can *repair* your phone on-site, but then they will do it for your phone that is on their service, no matter where you purchased it. It's the benefit that you're paying anywhere from $5 to $8 bucks a month for - the cost of insurance on your celly thru your service provider.
    Perhaps Radio Shack extended warranties aren't for everyone. Still, that doesn't make them evil, and you still need to breath. Deep breaths, slowly, thru the nose. Trust me, it'll help you.