Radio Shack / the worst customer service

1 Edison, NJ, United States Review updated:

I am a perfect example of a typical Radio Shack customer. I have made quite a few purchases there over the years, and when friends have a need for something in the electro-technical area, I would have been among the first to suggest that they visit their local Radio Shack. In other words, I was part of a strong loyal customer base.

The company however is being undermined by very, very poor middle management. Here has been the most recent very disappointing experience at my local Radio Shack. I recently purchased a medium priced Jensen CD/AM-FM combination player which was both AC and DC. I had been using the AC with regular alkaline batteries, and found that using this as often as I did, I was spending too much on batteries.

I went to my local Radio Shack (Edison, NJ, US Rt. #1, Wick – Pathmark Shopping Plaza ) and found that the Nickel Metal Hydride Batteries ( SIZE C ) were about $17.00 for two. I needed six. I purchased four that day (about a month ago) and just this past week I bought another two. The Alkaline batteries finally ran out so I began to charge the six Nickel Metal Hydrides. I was using a fairly new Ray O Vac, all purpose battery charger that was good for both Nickel Metal Hydrides and Nickel Cadmiums. I knew that it worked well because I had been using it for my AA and AAA batteries all along. The two most recently purchased “C” cells took the charge after a few hours with no problem. The four batteries that I purchased about a month or so prior, did not take the charge. I left the batteries in the charger overnight and found that they did not charge at all. I used a small volt meter to check them and they were completely dead.

I never kept the packaging or the receipt, because I never anticipated this to happen. It was a battery, not a device, and until this time it never occurred to me that a brand new battery couldn’t be charged. The batteries appear to be brand new and they are clearly marked RADIO SHACK, so where else would I have purchased them?

I returned to the store and merely asked for an exchange. The manager, who started to say his name was Edward, said that he could not exchange them without the packaging. I obviously explained that I didn’t have the receipt or the package, but, if he looked he could see they were brand new. He printed out the receipt and said this is the policy and would not help me after that. I asked him for his name and he refused. I asked him for the name of his supervisor and he said he didn’t know. I asked him how I could contact his supervisor and he wrote down a number, [protected]) that I called and called and called, but no one ever answered and there was no message.

I called to Texas to your office and was routed to the answering service for the Central New Jersey regional manager but never received a return call. I AGAIN called to your office [protected] ) and used the internal directory and left a message with YOUR service and never received a return call.

The return policy clearly states:

Merchandise must be returned in like-new condition (except for damage caused by any product defect) with the original packaging materials (including barcode/UPC label), accessories, instructions, and the original sales receipt, otherwise your product may not be eligible for return or it’s return may be subject to a refurbishing fee…Radio Shack performs a careful inspection of all returned items for signs of use or wear.

The KEY WORD is otherwise… I would have gladly subjected the batteries for inspection and then OTHERWISE had the staff replace them! The manager would not even entertain the notion that the product was defective! If this was a few dollars or a complicated device I could be more understanding. I even asked them to hold the defective batteries over night and try to charge them for me. The batteries are advertised as being able to be charged over and over again. These were CLEARLY brand new. The manager was unresponsive and said to me the policy was clear, no receipt no exchange. There wasn’t even any inspection. All I received from that store was an arrogant and inexcusable excuse for customer service. It is no wonder that these store are in trouble.

If these items cannot be replaced, I have been cheated out of over $35.00 for batteries that cannot be charged and never could be charged because they were defective and they could obviously not have been purchased ANYWHERE else BUT Radio Shack.

My wife is the national customer service manager for a major Fortune 500 company and practically argued with me that it would be impossible for a company the size of Radio Shack to tolerate this level of customer care (non-service) and an attitude of arrogance that can only be explained by inadequate or non-existent management.

De

Comments

• Ca
      15th of Aug, 2008

As a manager myself for this sorry company, I am sorry for the treatment you received by this very stupid manager. We have a unspoken rule refered to as the "$50 rule". If a customer is dissatisifed with a product that costs under $50, with or without a receipt and it is our product we are to do WHATEVER it takes to make the customer happy, even if it is over 30 days!

My advice is to call 1-800-theshack, it will then ask you for the zip code for the store, and then you will be forwarded to that stores district office. Should that not work call another store and ask for the district office number (tell them you want to give a compliment if they ask why) you'll get the number.

Had you come to my store, you would have left with brand news batteries

21st of Sep, 2008

You are a fool.

The receipt has a key word you have ignorantly acted as if was not printed. it says OR. the word OR. Understand it and get it through your thick "typical cutomer-esque" head. If you do not fit into the returnable criteria, which includes having the receipt and original packaging (which you carelessly and conveniently threw away) then it may not be allowed for return at all, OR it will be subjected for inspection. It even states a refurbishment fee, and at the very bottom it even FURTHER STATES that the dealer can have their own rules and extra polices as well. The word OR leaves the manager with the glorious OPTION TO DENY YOUR RETURN SINCE YOU THREW AWAY THE RECEIPT AND PACKAGE. Fool, you should have known better than to do that, you even said yourself you've shopped there for a century.

Continue basking in your stupidity.

• Pe
      30th of Sep, 2008

A month ago I bought a laptop from Radio Shack in Phoenix, AZ. After 3 weeks I realized it was not what I wanted and, per their 30-day money-back guarantee, I went to my local store to return it. I thought it was going to be like going to Wal-Mart. But it wasn't. This guy couldn't be more clueless of what a return was. He asked me to go to another store in Chandler Mall, in Chandler, AZ, 15 miles away, with the argument that they could help me. I went to this other store and similar to the last store, their excuse was also that the manager was off that day and he was the only one who could do returns. The next day, I called (instead of wasting time and gas in showing up at) another store to find out if anybody there knew how to do a return. Eureka! A manager who knew how to do his job! The funny thing was that he also told me to go to another store instead because they did not carry enough cash to do a refund for a laptop, since I had paid for it cash originally. At that point, I was frustrated and called the district manager. That was even worse. Don't ever think of calling a Radio Shack's district manager. That's a lost cause. Nobody ever answers and nobody ever return your calls. I called the Chandler Mall store 2 days after my peregrination started to see if the store manager had showed up. This time the guy told me he didn't know why nobody helped me before since doing a return was the easiest thing to do. wow! Suddenly everybody knew. I went to this store and they accepted to refund me for the laptop. They took their time to check that everything was working ok with the laptop, no scratches, that all manuals were included, etc. I had made a system recovery of the the hard drive before returning it, which returned the laptop to the original factory settings and factory-installed software. I could not help not laughing when I overheard this geek saying "hey the AOL icon is missing", then he looked at me and said "hey, this laptop is missing software" as if 1. it was 1998 for an AOL icon to exist, 2. he had not realized I had just recovered the system to the exact factory state. This experience taught me 2 things: 1. Google what you need from Radio Shack before getting to the store because nobody at the store is going to know what you're talking about anyway, and 2. Don't buy anything at Radio Shack if you're not 100% sure you will eventually return it. In other words, if Wal-Mart has what you need, buy it at Wal-Mart, this way you will save a lot of money, you won't waste your time and you will avoid an arrogant geek who thinks he knows what he's doing.

• Po
      29th of Dec, 2010

Ok...first off with Dennis, the back of the receipt says specifically that you must have the packaging AND receipt to get a refund or exchange. So the manager has the right to refuse to do a return without a receipt. I work for Radioshack and I would have refused it right away. Being an Assistant Manager I have that option to refuse one. I've done it A LOT of times. It may say our store on there but it doesn't say WHEN it was bought. And by you stating the "otherwise" portion of the receipt just shows that you don't know what you are reading. It says if you don't have all of the above then "otherwise the product will not be returned or will be charged a restocking fee." We do not place a restocking fee on batteries so they did the next thing...they refused the return. That is what ANY retail store would do if you don't have the receipt at all. Especially if they have known theft or anything lately.

And now for Pedro, it's idiots like you that makes the economy worse. You are buying from stores that are cheap like Walmart. The reason they can be so cheap is because they can buy in bulk. Which then makes all of the smaller businesses go out of business. And the people at Walmart know NOTHING about what you are trying to buy anyways.