Radio Shack / wrongful firing!

United States Review updated:
Radio Shack is an unethical company to work for. They recently fired my husband for an absurd cause. They said that he was "caught stealing, " yet there is no proof of this at all! Because a man paid with a fake ID and my husband shook his hand after the transaction, they are saying that he helped the guy steal products for his own personal benefit! Since when does a handshake prove that you are in cahoots with a scam?? Typically, he shakes about 50% of the customers' hands because he is great at customer service and is very courteous.

In addition, they proceeded to interrogate him, scare him out of his mind and pressure him into "confessing" even though he didn't do a damn thing. So, they "released" him as one of the corporate higher-ups of the company just so calmly said because they "believe" that he helped this guy steal. If he did "steal" why wouldn't they go to the police? That is what you do when someone steals, correct?

So, after that day, he comes home crying because he lost his job and was nothing but a good worker for Radio Shack. He was an assistant manager and was next in line to be promoted to a manager position. Two days later, we find out from one of the other store managers that they are dropping managers like flies and aren't giving any good reason for doing so. And, on top of that, the manager told him in confidence that Radio Shack is soon to let go of every single full-time employee they have or demote them to part-time in order to cut costs.

Hmm... fishy? Don't you' think? We certainly do. The manager said himself that he believes they fired my husband in the way that they did because they saw that pinning this on him was a good way for them to avoid paying him for unemployment. He filed, and of course, was denied.

He worked with them for the greater part of his professional life and was bending backwards just to get a manger position. Radio Shack doesn't even pay their employees enough money to live comfortably. And, don't be fooled by the "commission" that they say you'll make bundles off of, because you won't. Unless you are in a high traffic area, of course. But he worked in a small town. Therefore, the pay was pathetic.

We aren't sure if we will fight this because we just don't know how to go about doing so. If anyone has ever dealt with a similar situation, please shed light on the situation.

And trust me, I would have known if my husband stole something because I am in charge of handling our finances and balancing our checkbooks.

If you're looking to work with Radio Shack, I recommend you only do so if you're only interested in a temporary position. They are an unethical company and will do whatever they can to save a few bucks. Thankfully, my husband is in the running for a few good paying jobs. Jobs that pay over $10, 000 more in salary than he was making at the crap shack. However, it doesn't take away the hurt of the way he was wronged by radio shack.

They promise a stable career for their employees and only deliver a pile of steaming sh*t. He isn't the only employee that they've treated wrongfully. We've both witnessed many of the part-time employees only being given 3-hrs per week on their schedule and then being fired for lack of performance. How in the world can you meet your sales goals with Radio Shack if you are only working 3-hrs per week and most of that time you have to spend building displays??

They promise health plans after a few months, yet my husband was given the run around for over a year.

And to top it all off, they are unethical in the way they treat their customers. There were a few employees in the store where my husband worked which were allowed to deliberately lie to customers about the specs of a product or what you can use it for only to make a sale. And, when my husband reported these unethical practices, they were dismissed without the other employees even being reprimanded.

We are bitter that they fired him wrongfully, we will admit that. But, who wouldn't be? However, we would never lie about anything this important, so rest assured that all of the information you are reading is indeed factual.

This is not to say that all districts of Radio Shacks treat their employees in this manner; there may be a few gems out there (maybe privately owned franchises). But, for the most part, you will work your ### off for minimum wage, they'll promise you advancement and then drop you like a fly if they feel like doing so. They did it to my husband, and they can do it to you too!

Comments

Jm
  13th of Apr, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I attempted to purchase a prepaid cell phone from Radio Shack. I was told I had to show the clerk my ID to enter my information for the cell phone. I reminded the clerk it was pre paid and I didn't want my information placed into his computer, which he said was for the phone. I told him no and he said I could not purchase the phone (even though I was paying with a credit card) the clerk then went on to tell me it was California law to show ID for all pre paid cell phone purchases. I found this is a lie and he was only attempting to add another person to Radio Shacks list. I was denied the purchase of the phone and told he would require a copy of my license if I changed my mind. I was shocked and I have to let people know what practices Radio Shack is using, I will NEVER shop there again. Also the clerk took down the advertisement which included free minutes on the phone when he could not figure out how to ring it up, all round horrible experience that day.
Ki
  21st of May, 2008

Radio Shack - Lack of service
3771 Ramsey Street
Fayetteville
Phone: 910 822-3400

I brought a cell phone charger and adapter. The sales clerk tried on the adapter to my phone, said it worked and I brought it. When I got back to work the adapter was not in the plastic box nor the end of the charger. I immediately called back to the store. The clerk said okay bring it back. I work and live on the other side of town and was not back that way for a week. When I took it end they said they could not give me a refund because the adapter was missing. The clerk was there, he remembered the call but they still refused the refund.
St
  28th of May, 2008
The "tip" that was misplaced is inclusive in the bundled price. Therefore, the bundled price cannot be refunded without having every piece of merchandise consitituent of the promotion. They are not in the business of giving away free merchandise, your mistake for misplacing the item.
Ma
  7th of Dec, 2008

Radio Shack - Failure to fulfill order

Well, I ordered four digital key chains and one pair of earbuds on Thanksgiving day for the Black Friday price. A week and a half later I get an e-mail telling me they are unable to fulfill my order. I go to the website and they are advertising that the item usually ships in two days and there is no indication that they are out of stock. While this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, after looking at the reviews for the key chains, I think I may have saved myself getting a bad product.

The tv that I bought in 1990 to goto college was bought at Radio Shack (and might I mention it was the radio shack brand and was still working when I got rid of it this year) and I shop there on a regular basis. I love to do my Christmas shopping there, but after this experience I think I will go duke it out at Wally World instead. Way to drive your customer base away.
Um
  14th of Dec, 2008
I had same issue on Thanksgiving for a laptop. Told 10 days later sorry unable to fulfill. I heard from a salesman at local radio shack it happened to thousands of people. Wow horrible. I could have had 100 laptops on black friday at the same if not better prices since i was out all night shopping anyway, but didnt because i was under the impression my order was processed as shown, nothing indicated as to out of stock or unable to fulfull, even showed me my total which was the cost of the laptop included. Disgusting Radio Shack..Shame on You.
Fl
  4th of Feb, 2009

RadioShack.com - Beware!
RadioShack.com

Since the new DTV is coming into to affect I have decided to purchase a new TV from RadioShack! I was planning on having a super bowl party in Sunday, so when I received my TV the Thursday before from FedEx, guess what! When they took the TV down there was a big hole in the box and a big scratch on my TV. (It was a 73" inch), well I called to try to get another TV sent out and no dice! They did not have any in stock and did not know when they would receive more. Then I had to wait for the money to get credited back to my account and that took about 5 business days! N-E-Ways, I missed the super bowl party, they didn't work with me, and FedEx should have taken care of my TV, you know I paid shipping charges.
Sh
  31st of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
fedex has always been garbage, sucks they couldnt do anything for you. UPS always handles my belongings very well, and i get everything intact. have you tried bestbuy?
Ke
  9th of Sep, 2009

RadioShack - return
Stillwater
Minnesota

i bought a garmin 265wt from radioshack on Sept. 8th and the next day the speaker while i was using the bluetooth on it started making a crackling blown sound so my pregnant girlfriend went to return in on Sept 9th the next day and she sat in the store for 45minutes to an hour while they sat there and tested it and the radioshack people heard the sound that it was indeed defective and then on top of that they didnt know how to run the computer to put it in for the return and then after all that waiting and monkey business they have to send me a check that will come within 14 days and i paid cash and to make it better they gave her a little notepad for all the trouble what an insult Radioshack should not be in business
An
  10th of Sep, 2009
I NED TO KNOW HOW MUCH DOSENT COCT RAINBOW SYSTEM
PLEAS IF SAM BODY KNOW TELL ME
  20th of Sep, 2009
Sounds like your complaint should be under FEDEX.
  20th of Sep, 2009
Radioshack has to test the unit if it is said to be defective. Also, since you paid a large amount in cash you have to get a check back because the all corporate stores carry a very small amount of cash in the drawer as policy. If they had the money they could have given it to you. Since they didn't, how else do you suppose they would give you money back. GPS units can cost $150-$1000 depending on the model and capability of the unit. Yeesh...
Bl
  5th of Dec, 2009

Radio Shackvip Cellular - Radio Shack Cellular Sales
Mobile
Alabama

I purchased a Blackberry Curve 8330 Inferno at a Radio Shack in Mobile On 11/30/09. I was told since there were none in the store that I would receive it the following day beacuse of a next day free promo 12/1 . On the night of the 30th I received an e-mail that said I needed to respond to correct an issue the store had entered wrong. I called and found that the store had entered my billing address the same as the store - so that was the reason for the follow up. Corrected now the phone was to issued. The following day I called the store to check on my phone and it was not there. When I arrived at my home I found another email asking me to call back due to another store created issue. This time it was an issue with the monthly plan that the clerk did not change...Now corrected my phone should ship out... When I called to verify the shipping the following day, I was told that it was being activated and would ship the following day again... So much for next day delivery! On the following day (Friday 12/4/09) I called to verify the shipping and the phone still had not been sent... I visited a local Sprint store and was told that I could get my phone then and there for the same price, so I went down to the Radio shack store I purchased from to cancel the order and guess what? It had been shipped !!! I explained that it was too late to receive the phone from them due to the fact that I had called Radio Shack VIP every day due to their poor customer service and I wanted a refund - they can send the one I ordered back... I was told I would have to wait for the phone to be delivered, send it back and wait for the Radio Shack VIP to receive it before I could get my refund. At this point the phone wont even deliver until Monday a full week after I ordered and was to have in hand... I have called Radio Shack Headquarters to express how unhappy I have been with the whole process and was transferred three times supposedly to get to the right person that could handle the complaint and finally back to VIP - the same people that have created this customer unfriendly issue... This is not a way to keep a customer. This is a very condensed version of the events as I have spent literally over 5 hours of my time trying to get the mistakes THEY made straightened out. I will NEVER step foot in another Radio Shack and its little wonder why their company is declining in every aspect of the business- even Wal-mart would have done something to help a customer that has been inconvienced and wronged...

I picked up my Blackberry at a local sprint store with exceptional customer service as they met and exceeded the expectations and they even matched the deal from Radio Shack...
Ga
  11th of Apr, 2010

RadioShack - Store Associate
Cache Rd
Lawton
Oklahoma

On 10 Apr 2001 I was at the Radio Shack on Cache rd in Lawton, Ok. I asked for some assistance in buying a replacement cable for my laptop. I found what I was pretty sure what I needed. I took the box to the counter and asked if someone could open a small cellophane bag with tape on it ... to check if the conversion tip was the right size. A older 65 ish man took the bag from my hand put it back in the box and tried to sell me and more expensive conversion kit --- without even giving me a chance to see if it the tip was in the bag. Got to be the most rude associate I've ever met.
Up
  13th of Apr, 2010
Radio Shack employs some weird dudes. Almost senile...
Lo
  10th of May, 2010
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
I was recently fired from RS in California for lack of performance. I was a store manager for over 13 years with the company. California is an At-Will state also. However, if it is common practice or within the company guidelines to give an employee several verbal and/or written warnings (3) to correct the behavior before termination then you may have a case of wrongful termination if you were never written up and/or given a reasonable amount of time to correct the offense/behavior. In my case, I was written up 2 weeks prior to being let go which is not nearly reasonable time given the payroll budget and staffing that I was given and the amount of work (RESET of the store) in a given time frame that was charged to us in the middle of a busy Christmas season!

They recently hired an "outsider" former assistant manager from BlockBusters having no prior experience with RS or haven't even gone through the year long Manager-In-Training program to be nominated as a leading candidate for a manager position to take my place paying her only a fraction of my yearly salary. She didn't know how to ring a sale or how to use the POS Systems and any of it's tools, conduct inventory, scheduling, ship, receive, repairs, generate any reports (ICST's, ISCT's, performance reports etc...), merchandise, create and print prices, no product knowledge, no proven leadership skills and with no prior RS management training doesn't even know how to read an Expense Summary or a Profit/Loss Statement. It's been 5 months since I was let go and they have yet to run a sales gain or even come close. The store had an inventory loss of over $5000 and recently was robbed for a loss of another $2000 in merchandise. This has never happened to me since my tenure with RS.

I am actively pursuing an attorney that will take my case on a contingency basis. It is my hope that any RS employee that was wrongfully terminated under similar circumstances come together to create a class-action lawsuit against RS for violating State and Federal Law.

San Diego, Cali 92104
Gi
  21st of May, 2010
Both my husband and i were employed at radioshack, him as a store manager and myself as a "waiting store manager". The company decided to cut all the assistant managers and drop them down to sales associates, i on the other hand took the severence plan and ended my employment about a week ago. A few days ago my husband(along with two other store managers) was fired for "theft", apparently he gave a discount to a customer using a gift card. Ridiculous. Of course loss prevention was there trying to scare and accuse him so that he would commit to it. I do agree that this company is unethical. I could probably write a whole book with all i have to say about this company but i wont bore you all with my negativity.

Los Angeles, CA
Jw
  24th of May, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am in total agreement with you as to how RS treats their employees. As a Store Manager, we have been told we will now work 52 hours a week (minimum), that includes a mid or closing shift on both Friday and Saturday, and now we will also work on Sundays. The district is in the bottom of all rankings within the region and yet the DM has yet to be fired or replaced. The current DM is extremely unorganized, shows favoritism to certain managers, and blows off conversations with other store managers on how to improve certain situations. I have always believed that good leadership is taking care of your people, first and foremost. Create a good working climate that people enjoy going to work. With this, the attitude's will transfer over to outstanding customer support.
Jo
  16th of Jul, 2010

radioshack/laptop and phone, seirra adapter - My contrct began09/09
radioshack
5805 e sam houston pkwy n suite k
Houston
Texas
Phone: 2814591044

I WAS SO HAPPY TO BE EXCEPTED SO I WENT WITHIN THE WEEK AND MY FIRST PHNE WAS DEFECTIVE A RAZOR I HAD 3 DAYS, (2)THEN I BOUGHT NETBOOK HP PAVILLION DV2 IT WAS A DISPLAY THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING, BLACK FRIDAY, THE COMPUTER WAS REPLACED AS I WAS TOLD THEY HAD SEVERAL NEW ONES, THEY SWPED IT OUT WELL THE2ND (THE NEWONE) STILL HAD ALL THE RADIOSHACK FILES, I RESTORED TO FACTORY .THEN IT WENT BLANK, SO BY FEB. I WAS GETTING ONE THAT CAME FROM LUFKIN, ALL MANAGEMENT HAD BEEN CHANGED SO ONE EMPLOYEE IS STILL THERE I EVEN SENT TO HP THROUGH CEO MARK HURD, AFTER A MONTH I GOT IT BACK THE SAME WAY ..NOW ASSURRION IS SAYING THERE WAS MOISTURE AND AFTER 3 LAPTOPS INSINCE THHANKSGIVING I STILL HAVE NO LAPTOP I ALSO WASTERMINATED MY SEIRRA BY THE SPRINT CO. NOW BECAUSE ALL OF THIS I HAVE SPOKEN TO SEVERAL ATTORNEYS AND I HAVE BEEN SO OVERCHARGED .. I AM GOING TO REPORT TO THE BBB AND THEN I AM FILING CHARGES FOR SELLING BAD EQUIPMENT, THE MENTAL STRESS AND THE COMPLETE DISREGUARD TO DO HAS THEY SAY ..I AM VERY SERIOUS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT AND MIS LEADING ME AND NOW MY DAUGHTER I JUST PURCHASED HER ACAMERA IN LATE MAY AND NOW IT HAS BEEN STOLEN OR LOST ... I REGRET THAT I HAVE GONE OUT OF MY WAY TO BE PATIENT, BUT IN ALMOST A YEAR I HAVE HAD 3 LEMON NET BOOKS AND MISPLACED SEIRRA ADAPTER AND I HAVENT HAD THE USE OF ANY OF MY EQUIPMENT 90 DAYS WITH OUT BEING FIXED NOR REPLACED .. BUT I PROMISE I HAVE MORE GROUNDS FOR SUING AND WITNESSES TOO... I HAVE BEEN OVERCHARGE SOLD SHOTY EQUIPMENT, AND I HAVE NOW BY MY DR. ON ANTIDEPRESSENTS AND ZANAX ..I EXSP;ECT THAT IF THIESE ISSUES ARE NOT RECTIFIED INTHE NEXT 10 DAY'S I ONLY HAVE TO SIGN OFF TO START LAWSUIT, REPORT TO THE BBB. AND FOR ALL THE STRESS.. I KNOW MY RIGHTS AND, FIGHTING THE PUBLIC UTILITY COMMISSION OVER RELIANT . 2YRS AND I WON .. AGAIN I EXSPECT REPLACEMENT AND TO BE REIMBURST FOR THEIR TERMINATING MY SERVICES WITH OUT PERSONAL REQUEST FROM MYSELF ...FRAUD AND NOT DISCLOSING THE OTHER 2 NETBOOKS OBVIOUSLY WERE NOT NEW. I AM EXSPECTING RESULTS NOLATER THAN TEN DAYS OR I WILL REPORT TO ANY AND OR ANYONE THAT CAN SHUT AT LEAST THAT STORE DOWN. I HAVE NO RESPECT SYMPATHY OR THE DESIRE TO KEEP BEING LIED TO. SINCERELY, JOHANNA COWAN
Cr
  21st of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
It amazes me they have any employees at all. Upper management's philosophy is to manage by fear. Constantly threatening your job if you don't perform. This form of management by fear starts at the top and rolls straight down hill. I know someone that works for them and it is absolutely the most miserable company to work for. They berate, humiliate, and treat their employees like gum on a shoe. When a call was made to complain about about a Regional Manager, the Human Resource people said "That's the way it is around here. I'd keep your resume updated". DM's have their jobs constantly threatened and are told to make the managers sell the crappy insurance scam or be fired. This company has a severe lack of leadership and ethics.
Rs
  29th of Jul, 2010
i also got let go by Radioshack Los Angeles, i was an employee for 3 years was top in sales in district every month got promoted from seasonal to assistant manager within my first 3 months worked with the best managers in the west coast and also worked closely with the reginal manager before he got promoted, in fact the reginal manager promoted me to manager at age 20 i took the worst store in district and was able to compete with biggest stores in area usc, balwin hills ect.. i was the type of manager that worked day and nite gave 200% did leave until we hit goal sales the type of manager that work 65 but only clocked in 45 hour and my upper management new it everything was great until Brian bevis from blockbuster came started changing everything included payroll after that radioshack had a turn overrate of about 50% that means half the managers that started the year didnt make it . in the last year all veteran managers that i was familiar with have been fired we are talking about people with 20+ years in management at radioshack . i wish the best of luck to all employee at radioshack but the golden era is over Radioshack is a sinking ship until one of to things happen before it goes out of business either best buys radioshack and makes local bestbuy store with more name brand products or corporate management change bring back David Edmondson he made radioshack golden...

Radio Shack Logo Radio Shack