Radio Shack / virgin mobile top up service refusal!

I have been going to Radio Shack to have my cell phone topped up for three months now. Every time I top up, a particular girl helps me to add $40 to my cell phone account. No problem. Yesterday, July 16, 2007, 2:30 PM, I go in to top up my cell phone and she is not there. The representative behind the counter says he can only top up either $10, $30 or $50. I tell him I need only $40. He looks at me and says, "Like I said..." and repeats himself. I said, "Well, the other girl has been adding $40 to my account every month and that is what I need to cover my charges of $34.99 including taxes. $50 would be too much." Mind you, I am being nice to this gentleman and only trying to explain my needs exactly as I have phrased them here. He throws his hands up in the air, stands back from his register and with a sweeping gesture of his right arm towards his computer, yells, "Would you like to come back here and show me how to do my job!!!" I was horrified. I just looked at him and calmly said, "You don't have to be rude. You may not know how to enter $40, but the other girl does." and I walked out. I went home and called Virgin Mobile who confided that what the girl was doing was adding two $20 Top Ups to my account each month. Why couldn't he have done the same or offered that? I am still embarrassed every time I think of how he treated me.

A  26th of Jul, 2007 by
As an employee of radioshack all I can say is "topping up" or "adding minutes" for the customer after they have purchased air time is an optional courtesy extended on our part. We aren't required by law to do it, nor do we have to do it. We just do it because we're feeling like being nice. If the store is empty, then sure, the employee can do it if they feel like it, but if the store is busy and there are other customers, we have to be fair to all the customers and help the others. Besides how hard is it for you to add the minutes yourself? It takes about a minute to do it. Again it is the employee's discretion whether to add your minutes for you after you bought them. But I know for a fact that we do have $20 top up options and that the girl who added your minutes just rung it up twice to make it add up to $40. The employee who yelled at you must be new or ignorant, or both, and you should report him to his manager. Even I must agree with you, as an employee of radioshack, that is horrible customer service.
A  15th of Oct, 2007 by
Hello Mrs. Bonaparte this is the girl who always does your top up. I had no idea that this happened to you. I cant believe someone would act that ignorant by yelling at you in front of customers. He should have suggested you either wait till I work again or politely state he isn't aware on how to add exactly 40 dollars. dont worry there is nothing to be embarrassed of when you know you didnt cause him to react in such a rude manner. Continue to come in and I will add your top up. It really doesn't bother me to treat people the way I would want to be treated. And adding the minutes on your phone doesn't stop me from helping other customers since I can actually add top in less than 1 minute.
N  22nd of Jan, 2009 by
well that's just bad customer service, but being a VM customer i thought about your situation and realized that you are getting taxed on each of those 20. top ups ($2.00 x2) then when u switch to the plan you are getting tax again ($3.00) so in total that's $7.00 in taxes. if you spent the little extra and get the $50.00 top up, in a couple of months u would have a balance on your account to cover one $34.95 +taxes plan, now that's what i would do, and that's customer service! helping you get the most of your money.

Radio Shack Logo Radio Shack