Quinn Insurance / Terrible experience

On the 6th of January 2009, after visiting a friends house in Ousby, Penrith, I was driving with my 3 year old nice and 12 year old brother in my car along a backroad towards melmerby. The weather was quite bad, it was snowing, so set of home, as i came round a downhill corner i spotted a car in the middle of the road at the bottom of the dip. the driver Made no effort to move over, i braked and realized i was on ice, tried to avoid hitting the car by swerving onto the grass verge, but caught his driver side wing and put my car through the wall. Completely shocked i checked that my brother and nice were ok, looked up to notice that the other car had moved and parked up on the grass verge in front of my car! I got out of my car and the other driver did also, he came rushing over and reassured me that it was "one of them things", the driver admitted that he had just done a turn in the road and shouldn't have been in the middle of the road but didn't want to carry on driving to melmerby (the direction i was intending to go). He then said that he didn't know whether to go through the insurance companies as he was in the middle of the road, he gave me a card with his number on to call when i got home. Some passers by came and helped get my car out of the wall and drove it to melmerby where i then met my mam and dad. My mam phoned the other driver where he told my mam that it wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been in the middle of the road and that i was not to blame, he said he was going to have a think about it all and would ring back. A few hours later he rang back with a completely different attitude and said he was making a claim against me as i was "an inexperienced driver" only being 17 years old. Supposing he was an experienced driver doing a turn in the road at the bottom of an icy hill! The following day i called my insurance company to report the accident and make a claim against the other driver, they said they would get back in touch and never, after calling Quinn direct three times, i eventually spoke to a woman who called herself my claims manager. She reassured me that she lives in Penrith and knew what the weather had been like, therefore neither party would be liable to claim and it would be a case of paying for each others damage. She wrote to me requesting my mot certificate and drivers license, which i posted to her. After a month of no communication, i decided to text claim manager and ask what was happening with the case. I got a reply saying " he is not getting his repairs done until the 10th march so we can't close the claim until the invoices are in". As i hadn't heard anything since posting her my details i text back asking if i was getting my car repaired as i hadn't been notified, which she replied "unfortunately we are unable to defend the claim. As you informed me that you braked and skidded on the ice we cannot argue that you were in control of your vehicle. We did try to argue that he was in the middle of the road but as you say you saw him and braked we will have to accept liability". I was absolutely disgusted with the lack of communication between me and my claims manager that i replied telling her this and that i was not happy with her company and lack of customer services, i also said that i wished to cancel my insurance due to the matter. She replied saying that she was sorry that i felt things were not explained ant that she had previously pointed it out, but she hadn't. My mother and i then started to look for other car insurance quotes and realized that you cannot get one without an estimate of the claim, so i texted marie agin to ask for it which she replied " no his insurance company are dealing with his repairs, i will let you know once we get the figures". I rang one insurance company to ask if i could insure without a claims cost and he said that by law my insurance company should give me an estimate and that i should have filled in claims forms and diagrams, which i hadn't. I rang quinn again to complain re lack of service/communication and they said my claims assessor would come out and assess the damage to my car and take a statement, then visit the scene of the accident to assess the situation. this should have been done in the first place. 3 days later still waiting. phoned quinn again told they would ring me back in 5 mins, 2 hrs on still waiting. told not allowed to cancel with quinn as have an outstanding claim with them. STALEMATE!!!

Mi

Comments

• Al
      14th of Oct, 2009

Several months into what I thought was my second year of being insured with Quinn, I contacted them to enquire about insuring a second family car. To my shock, the Quinn customer service rep told me I wasn't insured with Quinn!!

Roll back a few months back when my policy came up for renewal ... I had received a letter to advice of the pending renewal date and amount to pay. I duly contacted Quinn and gave them my credit card details to renew the policy (I pay off the whole year in a single payment). Few days later, I get the new policy document papers and certificate in the post covering me for the next year October 2006 to October 2007.

So imagine my shock when I am told by a Quinn rep I wasn't on their records and not been insured for the period!

Obviously worried, I went online right away and bought insurance with another company with immediate effect!

Meanwhile, it transpires some error on Quinn's part, they never took the payment, yet issued me an insurance certficate!

Now Quinn decided I was insured afterall for the period and now demand payment. I refused telling them I have taken my business somewhere else. I'd rather deal with a reputable company so I have the piece of mind that when I give payment details it is processed and when issued a legal document - in the form of an insurance certificate - it is reliable and so!!

Now Quinn is threatning to sue me, taint my credit rating ''making it difficult to obtain future credit'' (Quinn's quote). That is blackmail and bullying tactics as far as I am concerned.

• St
      22nd of Oct, 2009

On the 6th of January 2009, after visisting a friends house in Ousby, Penrith, I was driving with my 3 year old neice and 12 year old brother in my car along a backroad towards melmerby. The weather was quite bad, it was snowing, so set of home, as i came round a downhill corner i spotted a car in the middle of the road at the bottom of the dip. the driver Made no effort to move over, i braked and realised i was on ice, tried to avoid hitting the car by swerving onto the grass verge, but caught his driver side wing and put my car through the wall. Completely shocked i checked that my brother and neice were ok, looked up to notice that the other car had moved and parked up on the grass verge in front of my car! I got out of my car and the other driver did also, he came rushing over and reassured me that it was "one of them things", the driver admitted that he had just done a turn in the road and shouldnt have been in the middle of the road but didnt want to carry on driving to melmerby (the direction i was intending to go). He then said that he didnt know whether to go through the insurance companies as he was in the middle of the road, he gave me a card with his number on to call when i got home. Some passers by came and helped get my car out of the wall and drove it to melmerby where i then met my mam and dad. My mam phoned the other driver where he told my mam that it wouldnt have happened if he hadnt been in the middle of the road and that i was not to blame, he said he was going to have a think about it all and would ring back. A few hours later he rang back with a completely different attitude and said he was making a claim against me as i was "an inexperienced driver" only being 17 years old. Supposing he was an experienced driver doing a turn in the road at the bottom of an icy hill! The following day i called my insurance company to reportthe accident and make a claim against the other driver, they said they would get back in touch and never, after calling Quinn direct three times, i eventually spoke to a woman who called herself my claims manager. She reassured me that she lives in Penrith and knew what the weather had been like, therefore neither party would be liable to claim and it would be a case of paying for eachothers damage. She wrote to me requesting my mot certificate and drivers licence, which i posted to her. After a month of no communication, i decided to text claim manager and ask what was happening with the case. I got a reply saying " he is not getting his repairs done until the 10th march so we can't close the claim until the invoices are in". As i hadnt heard anything since posting her my details i text back asking if i was getting my car repaired as i hadnt been notified, which she replied "unfortunatly we are unable to defend the claim. As you informed me that you braked and skidded on the ice we cannot argue that you were in control of your vehicle. We did try to argue that he was in the middle of the road but as you say you saw him and braked we will have to accept liability". I was absolutely disgusted with the lack of communication between me and my claims manager that i replied telling her this and that i was not happy with her company and lack of customer services, i also said that i wished to cancel my insurance due to the matter. She replied sayingthat she was sorry that i felt things were not explained ant that she had previously pointed it out, but she hadnt. My mother and i then started to look for other car insurance quotes and realised that you cannot get one without an estimate of the claim, so i texted marie agin to ask for it which she replied " no his insurance company are dealing with his repairs, i will let you know once we get the figures". I rang one insurance company to ask if i could insure without a claims cost and he said that by law my insurance company should give me an estimate and that i should have filled in claims forms and diagrams, which i hadnt. |I rang quinn again to complain re lack of service/communication and they said my claims assessor would come out and assess the damage to my car and take a statement, then visit the scene of the accident to assess the situation. this should have been done in the first place. 3 days later still waiting. phoned quinn again told they would ring me back in 5 mins, 2 hrs on still waiting. told not allowed to cancel with quinn as have an outstanding claim with them. STALEMATE!!!

• Ba
      7th of May, 2011

My car got towed away at Heathrow by the police. My fault. Sadly the police tow vehicle ripped the sump out whilst being towed. The police immediately admitted liability. We had returned early from a holiday as my mother in law had been taken seriously ill. We left someone with the car until the AA arrived and henceforth made the long journey back as quickly as we could. AA duly took my car to Inchcape VW garage ( my cars a Passat estate ) they did the work but it took me 2 days to speak to Quinn due to personal circumstances. Darren at Quinn asked me what I wanted him to do ...! Well what did he think? My car had been repaired but I hung on for Quinn to sort out the detail . It took Darren 10 days to send a claim form. My policy decrees I could have a replacement hire car in the interim. None was offered and Darren on two seperate occasions asked me what I wanted him to do. Quinn possibly try this tack so that you are put off claiming I suggested. Then HORRors Darren went away on holiday. He had done nothing with my claim and we were nearly a month down the line. I was using my partners vehicle at great inconvenience. Darrens Regional Claims Manager, Dawn, rang me to say he had left his work in a real mess with no instructions and nothing completed. Inchcape then started to get twitchy as their month end was due and they needed to square their books naturally. My car had been sitting on their forecourt for over 3 weeks finished. At my place of work I was subjected to an afternoon of continued phone calls from both Inchcape and Dawn at Quinn.(This was pre May bank holiday weekend) and I was asked by Dawn at Quinn if I would pay the bill at Inchcape and Quinn would send a cheque tome for the work in the interim. She told me the cheque would take 7-10 days to arrive with me. This was on the 28/04/11 it is now 08/05/11 No cheque and I have paid Inchcape £704.96 on a credit card due for payment next week. I was put in an impossible position and I have to say that I found it bizarre. Why do we have insurance? Also I have never heard of an instance like this! Anybody else had this experience? If I had behaved as Darren has in my place of work I would be on benefits by now! HELP

• Ru
      2nd of Sep, 2011
    Quinn Insurance - Stay away
    Quinn Insurance

My experience of Quinn insurance leaves me with one word of advice to all clik2complaint.co.uk visitors ... stay away from Quinn!

Summary:

• Wa
      16th of Jul, 2012

i have been with Quinn for 4 years now, 3 weeks ago i was driving home from work and a taxi driver had come out of a Petrol Station exit while i was stationary and stright into the rear near side of my car, shunted the vehicle and was therefore un-drivable! i rang Quinn and reported the accident, im fully comp so i am entitled to a breakdown / tow vehicle, however Quinn did not sort that out for me, instead they provided me with 2 x different numbers for me to ring the companies myself and sort out the pick up. To which i did and netiher of them answered. I got the vehicle home by ringing Green Flag through step dad's road cover. Then i got bombarded with phone calls the following day from Quinn putting me in touch with a solicitor, then with a company for a hire vehicle (which i had told them on the phone i needed for work purposes) to which they advised i would have within 24 hours! i received my hire vehicle 4 days after i had been written off by the 3rd party! then i had been chasing Quinn to tell me what is going on with my damaged car as no-one had come to take this from outside my house for assessment. my damaged car got collected 7 days after the accident. Then i was being talked into claiming of MY OWN insurance policy as they cannot get hold of the 3rd parties insurance company!!! to which i was shouting at them for 1 1/2 hours, they arranged for a regional manager to come and see me. He also got a mouthful for advising that i should claim against myself to make this quicker payout for new car. They advised this would not effect my premiums as 3rd party had accepted liability (they just struggling to hear back from 3rd party insurance), however from the cheque they offer me they will be deducting my excess amount and claim that back at a further date from 3rd party. All i have spent my working days doing is calling and chasing Quinn to hear some sort of update from them, the communication is VERY poor, and the lack of respect for people who have had accidents which is genuinely not their fault is disgusting. Why do i pay them for full comprehensive insurance yet i have to do all their leg work and calling round etc etc! i had to ring the car hire company for the rental vehicle, i also had to arrange collection from the garage where Quinn arranged to have my vehicle assessed. This claim is still going on as they haven't even made me an offer on my written off vehicle yet. Quinn Insurance is a complete and utter rip off, they are not handling anything in correct mannor and they change their terms & conditons as and when they please depending who you have been speaking with! utterly disgusting. i would NEVER recommend these to Insure anyone for car or house insurance. Poor Poor service.