Quicken Loans / terrible experience!

150 W 3rd St.Cleveland, OH, United States Review updated:
3.75
Phone: 800-251-9080

It was one year ago today that I was terminated from Quicken Loans for being outspoken about the stupidity of buying Christmas gifts for directors that earn well into the six figures, and for being part of the overtime lawsuit. On a side note, JP converted to Judaism. He's actually half Italian and was raised Catholic, but since Dan Gilbert is Jewish, many of the directors converted. Talk about selling your soul! I must admit that getting canned actually left me with a sense of satisfaction and relief. I was able to collect 6 months of unemployment and find a great outside sales career.

Excluding military service, I've spent the better part of my working life employed with insurance companies and banks as a sales professional. From schlepping life insurance in people's homes at 10:00PM to writing refinance loans to dissatisfied credit card clients, I've pretty much taken the monetary tour de services financiers over the past 18 years or so. Here are a few things I've picked up along the way:

People possess an infinite capacity to be disrupted by minutiae. If you complain long and loudly enough, you'll eventually get a discount. The customer is seldom right, though mostly tolerated. Pretension is encouraged, as long as you have the ability to pay for it. A little sadism can often go a long way. And so on. But these things are minor compared to the things I've learned from the corporate culture during my 28 weeks at Quicken Loans:

-Intelligence, for the most part, is threatening.

-Political awareness is more important than performance.

-Subservience opens more doors than knowledge.

-Loyalty is contingent on profitability.

-Motivation is primarily fueled by self-interest.

Apathy is rewarded as often as responsibility. Most importantly, I've gained a renewed respect for the resilience of humanity mostly from my underpaid, overworked and disrespected co-workers. Except for J-Mo. When the mortgage industry crashes down in the new year, I look forward to asking him for advice on an I-pod at Best Buy.

I've worked and trained alongside hard-working individuals who have been incessantly misinformed about their competition, condescended to by self-serving leaders (who constantly confuse status with soul) without retaliating. They have done so while retaining their sense of personal pride and professionalism along the way. It was a pleasure to have worked with you.
Va

Comments

Va
  9th of Dec, 2007
'We Eat Our Own Dogfood':

-With the little money we pay you for your 60-80 hour work weeks, we want you to buy are junk wall stickers, Fatheads. And for the 1% who actually own a home, we want you to refi with us and pay more so that we can sell your loan in a few weeks, but we will put you on our loan tracking system (we will bug you and try to get you to refill every couple of months to make sure you have no equity).

'A Penny Saved Is a Penny':

-Although letting screwed over employees receive their just unemployment, we can save Gilbert what amounts to his billions as basically a PENNY to you and me. And for our management, we don't try to save on cocaine, we buy the best uncut coke for our incentive trips.

'Every Customer, Every Time, No Excuses, No Exceptions':

-Even if the customer is in a great mortgage program, we can spin it to where we can screw every customer any time. If you are not willing to do this, we will find you and root you out.

'Obsessed With Finding a Better Way':

-We are obsessed with finding better ways to drain every ounce of sweat from our employees. We are obsessed with finding better ways to collect more deposits knowing that they will not qualify.

'Every Second Counts':

-We find suckers to work 60-80 hours a week for peanuts making us very wealthy only to spit them out in the end. We (upper management) enjoy the fruits of all their seconds they put in. Skip lunch, forget your family, you need to be on the phone, if not you may miss that app call. When you get home, log in, that is what the great bankers do!

'Ignore the Noise':

-As half of the sales force is getting fired and directors are strung out on coke, ignore this. Keep working 16 hour days till we fire you so we can get every ounce of sweat from you and turn your loans over to the bankers who are doing favors for directors when you are gone.

'We are the They':

-If you work 80 hours per week, become a coke addict, and divorce your wife and forget your kids, you can become one of us. We are one big dysfunctional family.

'Take the Roast Out of the Oven':

-Even though you don't know anything about mortgages, pretend, and give wrong advice to people on their biggest asset. Don't worry if you screw up, as long as you made Dan Gilbert a few bucks.

'It's Not About Who is Write, It is About What is Right':

-As long as you don't voice your opinion and try to say this isn't the greatest place in the world. In that case, we will have to fire you.

Did I forget any...
Ka
  20th of Apr, 2008
You should send a factual and detailed letter to the FTC. Your letter will help support the claims of many who have been taken advantage of. The better picture the FTC has of this company, the better for all.

FTC
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20580
Da
  23rd of Nov, 2008
What a hoot. A disgruntled former employee claims people converted religions to appease Dan Gilbert.

Look, Quicken may work their people awfully hard, but I'm guessing they made a mistake when they gave a delusional nut like you a paycheck in the first place.
Re
  25th of May, 2010
oh hey daveh...wow here you are again...on the payroll are ya? They speak the truth...keeping popping up on all the employee complaints. Are you the pawn that was convinced you are doing a good deed for daddy quicken. Ill take the employees well thought out comments next to the one sentence you have managed to copy and paste.

FU brotha! get a real job.

Quicken Loans Logo Quicken Loans