Qantas / escorted of the plane 5 mins before take off

1 Western Australia, Australia Review updated:

Dear Sir / Madam
My name is Mr. Lee Thomas, I am a Company Director from Hong Kong on holiday visiting my relatives in W.A. I would like to share with you my recent QANTAS experience.
This is a bit of a long story, but I will try to keep it short.
I travelled to Australia with my Wife and our TWO year old Son, we were staying in Bunbury with my Mother. On Tuesday 24th. Feb We traveled to Albany to visit my relatives, on Wednesday 25th. Feb my wife had pains in the stomach and was later rushed to hospital by Ambulance, where is had to under-go EMERGENCY SURGERY for an Ectopic Pregnancy. The Hospital did a fantastic job and my Wife is now doing fine.
On our return to Bunbury on Saturday 28th, I called QANTAS to inform them of the situation and to ask for help in arranging a Wheelchair and to make sure that my Wife could be made as comfortable as possible for the journey home to Hong Kong.
The lady on the phone from QANTAS was very helpful and sympathetic.
We arrived at PERTH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT at 8am on Monday 2nd March after a 3 hour drive from Bunbury, checked-in and showed the QANTAS staff our Medical / Doctors Letter, stating that my Wife, was quote “FIT TO FLY”
As my Wife was in a wheelchair and I had my TWO year old Son with me, we boarded first, while on board I showed the Doctors’ Letter to the Cabin Crew to make them aware of my Wife’s condition.
FIVE minutes before TAKE OFF, I was approach by a lady from QANTAS named Jane, who was on the phone with a QANTAS Doctor in Sydney. I explained many times to her that we had a DOCTOR’S LETTER stating the she was “FIT TO FLY”.
and that I had phoned QANTAS two days before and explained the circumstances, also that I had shown the letter when we checked-in.
Jane from QANTAS said that we were NOW NOT ALLOWED TO FLY !
When I left the plane to speak to Jane again, she had called the POLICE and SIX FEDERAL POLICEMEN where there.
After My Wife and TWO year old Son were escorted off the Plane, we were told we had to reclaim a luggage.
20 MINUTES (approx) after the plane (without US on-board) departed, Jane said she had finally contacted ALBANY HOSPITAL and they confirmed that YES my Wife was “FIT TO FIT”
We were led downstairs to Departure where we were left by Jane.
The ONLY person that really took care of us while we were waiting for Jane to return with what we to do now was a FEDERAL POLICEMAN, named Eddie who was fantastic.
We were told by Jane that the next QANTAS flight direct to Hong Kong was TWO days later !
We had the choice of waiting in Perth until 1am and fly with CX or flying to Melborne and get the connecting QANTAS flight. We chose QANTAS
While waiting for the Melbourne Flight, Jane generously gave us three LUNCH VOUCHERS which had the WRONG DATE on them so could not be used.
That was just another kick in the head !
EVERYONE at QANTAS from Perth International Airport, Federal Police, Perth Domestic Airport and Melbourne International Airport were fully aware of what had happened and in their words, not mine, EMBARRASED about how we were treated.
So again to fully summarize:
My Wife and I had just lost a BABY
My Wife had to under-go EMERGENCY SURGERY
We were asked to leave a QANTAS flight, when we had a letter stating FIT TO FLY
We had SIX POLICE WAITING FOR US
Short time later it was confirmed my Wife was FIT TO FLY
Altogether it took us 27 HOURS to return home
I must say that when everyone heard what had happened to us QANTAS staff were wonderful, BUT this should never of happened.
I was told by both QANTAS staff and POLICE if I never showed the letter everything would of been OK.
All I did was the RIGHT THING, now QANTAS MUST do the RIGHT THING
I am expecting a PROMPT REPLY
For your reference my Wife’s name is ROSABEL CABATUAN and my Sons’ is CURTIS DANIEL THOMAS we were expecting to fly QF67.

Lee Thomas
Operations Director
Leethomas13@hotmail.com

Mr

Comments

• Ms
      7th of Aug, 2009

Why did you not show Jane the letter if you had been issued with the 'fit to fly'? They wouldn't have taken you off the flight if you could prove this.
    I work in aviation and what happened here is more about protecting your wife than it is protecting QANTAS' reputation. You seem to have made a mountain out of a molehill - broadcasting info to too many people who obviously then became concerned that your wife would be looked after correctly and was in a good enough condition to fly.
    (PS I fly A LOT but your decision to fly QANTAS over Cx was a VERY VERY wise one indeed!)

• Bu
      7th of Sep, 2009
    Quantas - Bad experience
    Queensland
    Australia

I was flying business class from Brisbane to Auckland. The bath room did not work on this old aircraft! To make it worse - the fasten seat belt sign was constantly on unnecessay - I had to rush all the way to the back from row 1 to join the long lines - and was requested by the "no so considerate flight staffs" THREE TIMES to return to my seat.

Sorry - I will never fly Quantas again.

• Fe
      9th of Sep, 2009

That's good because there is no Quantas, It is QANTAS, no 'U' Anyway, unacceptable behaviour from them on this flight, but they are usually very good. Write a complaint to them, and I am sure they will try to compensate somehow!

• Li
      8th of Oct, 2009

Lay off the caps lock. It's really annoying. Son is not capitalized. Neither is hospital, ambulance, ectopic or pregnancy. Operations Directors should have a better handle on their grammar, don't you think?

• Li
      8th of Oct, 2009

I am actually very sorry about the loss of your baby, however.

• Co
      20th of Oct, 2009

What a horrible experience, but sounds very typical of Qantas I am afraid. To Ms Moderator: an ectopic pregnancy is not making a mountain out of molehill - it is a life threatening condition. This guy did everything that was required of him by the airline and it is Qantas that stuffed up, pure and simple. As for your contention that Qantas was a wise choice over CX - very funny. We have taken two flights with Qantas in the past five years - both times flights were cancelled. By contrast fly CX all the time and not one delay. I hope they compensated him accordingly and condolences for his loss.

• Be
      18th of Jul, 2016
    Qantas - Ripping off travelers
    Qantas

I bought a full fare coach class ticket from New York, Melbourne, Australia for $4, 000. The ticket was a fully refundable fare, as Ineeded it to be. Before I was due to fly, I had to change my plans so I canceled my ticket.

I was told I would be charged $100 cancellation fee, as had been disclosed to me at the time of purchase. However, i was then told that it would take 4 months to get a refund onto my credit card.

Four months??? it took all of 14 seconds to put the charge onto my credit card, now it takes four months to reverse it? The telephone operator explained that there is a single person dedicated to refund processing, hence the delay.

It smells of consumer abuse. Qantas charges you for the privilege of a cancellation ticket ($4, 000 vs discount and non-cancellable tickets at well under $2, 000), they levy a $100 fee on the cancellation. What is the $100 paying for? What is the premium fare paying for? For them to sit on my cash as free working capital for four months. Unbelievable.

31st of Aug, 2016
    Quantas - Bad experience
    Quantas

booked a trip to Australia through Qantas USA and their Vacation section. The price seemed extremely high and I questioned it with Ana Figueora, a person who is listed as an Australian Travel Specialist. Upon booking I started to check out the cost and looked up each and everything on my itenerary and priced it out. I came to find out that I had been overcharged by some $4, 200 for this trip. Each time I received an itenerary I called the number on it and left a message. I then emailed afigueora@Qantasvacations and requested that she get this corrected. She did nothing but state she had my credit card and that ended anything changing. Once we got to Sydney we found we were booked on the Indian Pacific in a reclinner for the entire four days. It then cost us another $2, 112 to get a bed that Senior Citizens could stand a four day trip in.

First reimburse me my $6, 000 plus over charges by them. Then check into their advertising a person as an Australian Specialist on their web site. These people aren't specialist, they don't even sound as if they have been in America, if they are in America, too long.
    I have contacted the State of California for help but feel that Qantas should correct this without my having to attain legal aid.