Pur Water Filter / Filter Composition

Have you ever tried taking one of these filters apart? I know it seems kooky, but hey, if it's made in Mexico, but I'm paying $35 for 2 filter replacements every two months, I figured I'd better see what I am getting! So I industriously hammered apart my filter because I was intrigued about just what quality filter material there was (remember, I'm an engineer). And guess what? It doesn't look like that glossy diagram at all! The diagram Stage 3 as a 1/3 of the cross-sectional width, but it is only about 15 mm or .30 width. Stage 2 is labeled as a microfilter activated carbon, which in ordinary language translates into a solid charcoal core about 50mm wide. But the big surprise was Stage 1. They don't tell you what this "added layer" is anywhere, but it looks like fiberglass paper. I don't know what it was, but it was definitely papery and easily melted upon rubbing between fingers. At purwaterfilter.com, under the FAQs it states:

"The faucet mount, countertop and undersink cartridges are made of carbon and an active agent to remove lead. The carbon and active agent are bound in a block form."

That is pretty ambiguous for an explanation--even for nonscientists.

Comments

23rd of May, 2010

Elaborating further on why I will no longer purchase Pur/Brita faucet water filters; solid charcoal microfilters have a liquid filtration rate very slow in comparison with the 0.30 inch gravel core, which means that most of the water filters through the core, not the microfilter. Pur/Brita will claim that it is not filtration but adsorption action taking place; however most municipal water treatments rely on filtration for primary treatment rather than adsorption. The word microfilter is an accurate (marketing) description of minute amounts of water being filtered while the rest processes through the core. The manufacturers might claim that the faucet filters are pressurized but I seriously doubt that in the time it normally requires for water to be treated via microfiltration that all the passing through a faucet filter is microprocessed. Settle for a pitcher instead; at least WYSIWYG or pretty much so.