Publix Supermarkets / awful experience

I worked for publix for seven long years. First job since high school. Started as cashier got all the way to customer service team leader then demoted myself because of all the crap with management not on the same page, lack of communication, favoritism, discrimination of clothing when fat managers can wear spandex and an attractive woman manager gets hated on because she has the curves in the right places and if you don't sleep with a certain manager, you lose in the end. When I retired, I talked to corporate about all my documentations and she told me its all who you know not what you know. Pretty sad coming from an ex customer service manager that is now in corporate cause she didn't want to play their games. Publix customers see the good side and the associates see the bad side of managers that don't deserve their position and the ones that do deserve it get nothing but criticism and told what you do wrong. I believe in compliments. They make you feel better and want to do better.

Va

Comments

An
  20th of Nov, 2008

the publix in my town is the same way. All we have is male managers and for some reason all the friendly workers and managers get "transferred" while the mean and grouchy ones don't. I hate whenever me and my family buys something we like (alot of it too) Publix "stops selling it" There was this frozen product that I use to buy for the whole case of (12 to a case) about twice a week. After a while I guess they got tired of having to store a good selling item on the shelves and did that line about "The truck's coming in Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday/Saturday/ tonight" thing. Sad thing is when the truck suppose to come they wold say "come later, we're still getting it off the truck" next day, "The truck came last night and they didn't have it." So I would go through this for about 2 months or less when they would flat out lie and say "They stop making them." Which I thought "aww poopies" until I went to the stores site and saw that it was still in the listings and that Harvey's and Walmart sold them still. It's been over a year and Harveys, Wal-mart and the food's website, still has them. Some might say they got rid of it because they wanted to replace it with something that would sale like eggplant casserole. Oooh its flying off the shelves. They just don't want to carry it no more. Lately we've had the same problem with our grits. Although we don't buy a whole case of them, Publix never has them. In fact where they have the area to put the grits they replaced them with cheese lovers. No one is buying cheese lovers everyone wants original. But guess who has tons of original? Harvey's and for 40 cent cheaper too.

Ni
  31st of May, 2009

I've found that Publix will special order anything you desire if you're a frequent shopper in the store. Sometimes you can even special order things by the case if you'd like to purchase that many of an item. Ask your stockman for that particular isle to order what you don't see on the shelf. I've found them to be more than willing to accommodate.

Ti
  15th of Feb, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Yeah, the male/female double standards really stand out.

As I was filling out my app, I was approached by a female manager, and told I could not be employed at Publix unless I cut my hair (I have longer hair, Native). They said I wold not even be considered for employment otherwise. I'm a male, and it's their policy (which is getting rare these days, and has never even been an issue in the past). What bothers me most, is that I was told this by a woman with men's length short hair, wearing what would be considered "men's" clothes. Now, I myself have years of experience in Management and other relevant food knowledge. It is such a dismay that an innocuous physical attribute(my heritage), would be the deciding factor. Especially when the female equivalent is perfectly accepted.

I have female friends who work at the local publix, and they talk of problems during the after-hours "fronting" - the men all take off their work shirts, wearing nothing but "wife-beater" type shirts as it can be strenuous work. Female employees try to do this, and complaionts get made (by other female employees, no less) because the "more attractive" women are merely trying to keep cool while doing the job. Just the same as the men.

This arcane mentality has got to stop. I won't be surprised if one day Publix finds civil rights (Title VII) lawsuits on it's hands.

Di
  10th of Apr, 2011

I noticed at my local Publix the female employees started coming to work "all naturale" with no make-up not even foundation.
It made me wonder WTF!. I also noticed that two of the friendliest cashiers no longer work there. I deduced that there must have
been some type of "incident" and management decided to ugly-up the staff. Call me sexist, I don't care. I found the most "pleasure" I got
from shopping at publix was flirting with the cashiers. I can't imagine they enjoy the new rules. As a matter of fact, I noticed that a majority of the female employees appear less than enthused to work as they skulk around doing thier tasks. A few of the cute ones I used to tease won't even give me eye contact.

I've already blamed myself for this new policy as I may have come off as "creepy" to a woman who has no interest in men or appreciates a light-hearted compliment about thier attractiveness. It just doesn't add up. Instead, it appears to be a situation where the lesbians have pushed to be recognized for thier merits and can only level the playing field by making the pretty girls as ugly and butchy looking as themselves.

All I can say is...grow up. If a cashier hooks up with a customer and has a fling, or gets married, or whatever, why should anyone else
care or take offense? We're only human.

Tr
  20th of Apr, 2011

Uhhhh...are you sure it was the lesbians? Girls have been known to get harassed by male coworkers, so they could just not be wearing makeup in hopes that the advances stop. Or maybe their tired of being hit on by customers. We work long shifts, deal with jerky managers, and you think we want to be hit on? Sure some might but what about the one who don't. I know one girl hates it because her boyfriend sees it happen and gets mad at her. Did you ever stop to think how that might affect their private lives? No? Didn't think so.

Tr

@ Diddlebot BTWs.

Di
  20th of Apr, 2011

Of course I did. I even admit that I'm aware of the female perspective. I feel the same way when gay men hit on me. That's why I pointed to the gay women, who must be completely disgusted by male advances.

Ti
  20th of Apr, 2011

Your comment is just tactless and self-centered. It's far more likely that women are tired of being hit on, in a public place of employment. It's so common, a daily thing for so many. It's rather routine especially for attractive women that customers & coworkers will pry about their personal life, their marital "status." Old men who want "to introduce you to their son" is another common one. Women just get sick of the same ### from people all day - it's not just the act of being "hit on" itself, but of how bloody common it is. No, you're not going to "pick up" a grocery store clerk unless you already know them outside of their work. If you're just hitting on them, in all likelihood you're only making their job more difficult - they are paid to be friendly, their niceness isn't a 'sign' that they like you. So if the female staff is "uglied up" you can place a bet on the fact that getting hit on has a lot to do with it. Obviously, it goes the other way, too -- but getting hit on by gay men is far less likely (10x). And since it's far less common, if you're secure in your manhood, take it as a compliment. I do.