Publishers Guide / Canceling my order

1 P.O. Box26866Tamarac, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-259-1649

I have the same darn problem! I've been trying to get my "subscription" cancelled and I can't get in contact with them and the thing is, I DIDN'T EVEN ORDER ANY DARN MAGAZINES!! Supposedly I was a customer since I was 13 years old...I'm 19 now and I have never once got a "magazine" or a call from them. And how could I be a customer since I was 13?! So they accepted a credit card number and social security from an under age child without the consent of her parents! They withdrew money from my bank account AND NOW I HAVE -$161 !! Being a stuggling college kid, now I have to pay that when I could have used that money to pay off my book fees!! If I don't get in contact with any of them soon I am going to sue them!!

Comments

• Ro
      6th of Feb, 2009

Publishersguide.com

Letter dated 01. 30. 2009
    Todays date 02. 06. 2009
    Pga 0199457 cancel this agrement confirmation # 130485
    I would like to cancel this agreement. I have read the following statement.

There are limitations on your ability to cancel. You can cancel within 10 days of accepting (This is what i am doing) . You'll still be responsible through that date for the new service and any charges associated with it. Except as explicitly permitted by this agreement, you're agreeing to maintain service with us for your minimum term.

Please respond that this is being cancelled. Otherwise i will report this to the better business bureau.
    Roberta veitenhans
    1736 lousie ave
    Medford or 97501

This is what i got back when i emailed them:
    Thanks for contacting publishers guide. We are currently upgrading our e - mail response system and we are unable to respond at this time. Please contact our customer service department during business hours (Eastern standard time) .

Monday - thursday 9 am - 7 pm
    Friday 9 am - 3 pm

This notice is systematically generated. Please do not attempt to reply or send email because we cannot receive it.

We appreciate your business!

6th of Feb, 2009

I can't get a hold of them in which to cancel this agreement.

• Do
      22nd of Mar, 2009

It took me over 30 days to get them to cancel this also. I was trying to get info on them because they were calling our business line. I did eventually win, and they did cancel, but of course, they put a mark on my credit rating. I am in the process, LONG, of getting that removed also, as this company is just a scamming way of getting CC info.

10th of Sep, 2009
    Publishers Guide - CANCELLING SUBSCRIPTION
    PUBLISHERS GUIDE

This company is a group of scam artists and theives. They talked me into opening an account for magazines and then a month later called me to talk about my account opening a second. Since it is past the 10 day period they want over $400 to cancel the one. Do not do business with these people

• Sm
      29th of Nov, 2009

I've been trying to cancel this stupid "subscription" for over two years now. Every time I think I'm getting close, I turn around and have a letter in my box that has said, "I've agreed to a new subscription." They've done this to me three freaking times. In addition to my "original" subscription, they've added three more subscriptions, saying I've "orally or electronically agreed" to the subscription. I'm to the point that I am screening all of my calls and will not answer. And if I make the mistake of answering, I make sure that I never answer affirmatively. But somehow they keep adding and charging my credit card. For anyone who is ever contacted or is thinking about getting a subscription from this company... DO NOT GET THIS. THIS COMPANY WILL TAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS THEY CAN FROM YOU, AND WILL NOT LET YOU CANCEL!

• Md
      4th of Dec, 2009

How did you guys eventually get this thing cancelled? i just got off the phone with them and it was like playing ring-around the rosie. i never got a strait answer and when i was about to the phone mysteriously cut out. i was also told i had 10 days to cancell but never recieved the phone number to do so...

• Pg
      1st of Jan, 2010

I foolishly subscribed to this company and now they won't cancel my subscription, their representative told me it would cost 180$ to cancel! Pretty shady for a company that doesn't even operate without a license. I've canceled my credit card, so now they are sending me late fees.

• Ih
      20th of May, 2010

i have the same problem and its [censor].
    i'm not paying them, answering calls.
    they've called my work many of times n my friends phones trying to get a hold of me. How did they get their numbers? i couldn't tell you. I'm sick of them calling me 6 times a day asking me for money and even calling me at 10 o'clock at night. I am a full time student n have a part time job. I'm busting my [censor] off to live and theres people like them trying to take all my money when i have more important things to pay for than some fake scam artists.

11th of Jul, 2010

OH my God! I cannot believe I've fallen victim to these "people" now tey are telling me that in order to cancel I would need to pay off all the money I owe them ($400+). This is outrageous! Aren't there laws that are supposed to protect up, college students, form this find of thing? I say we should do something...not sure what, but I will post back if I think of something. Good Luck to you all, and God Bless.

12th of Jul, 2010

On Saturday, 7/10 I have received another letter from them telling me that I have accepted another account. It took me three calls, over an hour of my day, and three days of waiting (because I received the letter on Saturday, I could not contact them in any way until Monday) to have the additional account canceled. I have decided to record all of my conversations with them from now on. I advise all who read this to do the same, just in case you want to re-listen to anything they signed you up for.

P.S.

I also suggest being very assertive on the phone with them (polite, but assertive) and tell them what you want instead of them telling you what you want! These people are vultures who only want your money. Do Not let them take advantage of you, instead if you have already accepted an account with them, make sure you have a firm handle on them instead of the other way around until you can cancel your account with the least amount of losses, and let this teach us all to be aware of the kind of people that are out there. And if you are reading this as research on weather to sign up to this or not, my hat goes off to you because you are obviously smarter than I was.

P.P.S.

I would also advise you to have a set amount of material that you receive from them so that it would be easier to manage. For example I have selected 4 magazines, and made sure that they canceled all the "extra" "bonus" "free" stuff they have been sending me. This next bit is an e-mail I sent to them on the day I received the notice of the second account, and even though you will not get through to them via E-mail, it is an example of what I mean by polite/assertive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Publishers Guide,

I have just received a letter from you informing me that my monthly payments have been increased to $34.22 per month. I am not pleased with this because I have not agreed to these changes. I agreed to a "monthly payment of $19.16." Not only this, I noticed that you have added magazines (Wired, Men of Integrity, Mac Life) that I did not agree to receive, you have took away one of the magazines that I did want to receive (Official Xbox), and you did not add one of the magazines which I specifically asked for (Christianity Today). So to make this simple for you, all I want from you is 4 magazines (Game Informer, Official Xbox, Maximum PC, and Christianity Today) at the price I agreed to ("You have selected to have the cost of your plan billed to your credit card in 30 monthly payments of $19.16.") I also DO NOT WANT ANY EXTRA OR BONUS magazines you have to offer. PLEASE!! DO NOT send me any of those. Just the four magazines at the price I agreed to.

I am very displeased with your service and communication.
    Roman Bespartochnyy

I also noticed that people have a hard time finding their phone number. I have been contacting them with this one: 800-259-1649

God be with you all,
    Roman Bespartochnyy

• Ca
      22nd of Jul, 2010

This company is and has done business as Magazine Services of America and Bayshore Marketing LLC. I'm in touch with the Florida Attorney Generals office as they have had many complaints. Call them and get your name on their list 850-414-3990. This number will get you in touch with the Citizen Services Department in the A. G. Office. This is a fraud DO NOT PAY ANY MONEY. Eamil me as I'm working on filing compalints with them as well as the Federal Trade Commision 877-382-4357 and I have contacted out local news Station in Madison WIsconsin to help take this public. Shame on these people and the staff that work with them. How do they sleep at night?!

• Ps
      23rd of Jul, 2010

I've been trying to cancel this for the longest time, and each time I call the number that the "customer service representative supervisor" gave me when they first called, it's either been disconnected, or it gets picked up and hung up. Then I started getting a call from the "billing" department sayign my account was in default (I blocked all payments, seeing as how I couldn't call them up and cancel). Apparently now, they got a collection agency to send me letters, saying I owe them 1000+ dollars...

• Ll
      13th of Aug, 2010

I had the same problem! They also talked me into getting an account, but worded it in a way that made it seem like I would pay $36 for the first month, than $14 for every consecutive month. But when I got my bank statements, I saw they were charging me $36 EVERY month and I got a letter in the mail from them saying I agreed to pay 30 monthly payments of $36, which adds up to over $1, 000!!! So I immediately called them and wanted to cancel my subscription, but of course by that time, it had already passed the 10-day cancelation period, so they wanted $150 to cancel it. I was so pissed. Then, not too long ago, they called me to check up on my subscription and said something about it only being $28/month now, so to enjoy my savings. I thought that meant instead of charging me $36/month, they would only charge me $28... wrong. My next bank statement showed BOTH payments being deducted. I have tried NUMEROUS times to call and settle this, but I can't get through to anyone. NEVER do business with these scam artists!!

• Ed
      15th of Aug, 2010

I agreed to this piece of crap scam like an idiot somewhere between July 26-28. I had no way to contact them because they gave me no call back number and I know I should have asked but I had no idea what this was going to lead to. It's now August 15 and I just received a letter from them saying I can only cancel within 10 days of my acceptance. Is this true? Am i screwed? Any help suggestions please? Thanks in advance.

• He
      22nd of Nov, 2010

I just sent in my complaint to the FTC. This is something that should end soon. I wonder if anyone else is also currently going through this? Will you keep you all updated...

• Jv
      15th of Dec, 2010

When you call to cancel mention UCC

• Wi
      23rd of Dec, 2010

discontionue ( maxim ) magazine please or credit bureau will be called. just don't want hardly clothed women.
    william arbogast
    p.o. box or 240 e. main st.
    mt. sterling, ohio 43143

28th of Dec, 2010

These people are great at what they do which is basically steal. They call claiming to be customer service and then if they can get you to say yes to a question, you have more money coming out of your account. I have asked several times to be put on their do not call list and I still get calls. When I call in and say something about it i get told to just hang up. That is not the way it works. If they call after being asked not to they are brealing the laws set by the FTC. The FTC laws also state that they have to tell you that it is a sales call.

• La
      12th of Jan, 2011
    publishers guid - cant get ahould of them to cancel membership.
    publishers guid
    po box 26866. Tamarac, FL 33320
    Tamarac
    Florida
    Phone: 8002591649
    service@thepublishersguide.com

They will not ancer my calls to cancel ther magazines that I didnt even wont to by.e9cb8

• Ag
      25th of Feb, 2011

I think I'm the newest victim here. They just didn't let me cancel saying that I had missed the "10 days" period of being able to cancel the subscription. Which institution should I trust to seek help for? I know BBB is useless and won't make any good at all.