Publishers Business Services / Fraud and scam

I received a call AT MY JOB (like most others here) from someone conducting a short survey. Questions asked were how old I was, where I lived, how long I've worked there. Only like five questions.

For answering these questions, I was to receive a great deal on FIVE magazine subscriptions. She went on to explain the 'deal' and how I'd be saving a LOT of money on all these magazines. It would cost $2.31 a week for FIVE magazines. She explained the cost, and how I'd pay, still explaining how it was a great huge savings.

I have gotten these calls before for other things, and a couple times they DID work out. (I won dinner at a comedy club once for a short survey...my first date w/ my now husband!! LOL) So, before hanging up, I got a phone number and extension where I could reach this woman. I would be receiving my info in the mail.

Two days ago, I got my info. Now the fun begins! I wanted to see just what BIG DEAL I was getting from this place. So, here's the deal:

$20 a month for 24 months equals $480.

$480 divided by five subscription equals $96

$96 divided by four years equals $24.

Their GREAT WONDERFUL BIG SAVINGS is charging $24 dollars for a subscription that you can get from the magazine's website for 1/3 of that price!!! (from $8-$15 online)

I was offered the five magazines as follows: US News and World Report, Jane, House and Garden, Woman's Day, Premiere.

Thru this company, I would pay $480.00 for these. I went to EACH of the magazine's websites and clicked the 'subscribe' link. This is what you pay for each of these mags thru their websites;

Jane--$8/year
House and Garden--$15
Woman's Day--$10
Premiere--$12
US News and World Report--$15 for 52 ISSUES

And here's the kicker... US News and World Report is a 52-ISSUE subscription, but Publisher's Business Services only gives you TWELVE ISSUES. So, you're paying for a 52-ISSUE subscription and only getting 1/4 of the magazines!!!

THAT IS SIX TIMES THE PRICE OF THE SUBSCRIPTION!

So, anyone who reads this...DO THE MATH before you agree to this. Don't give ANY BANK/BILLING INFO over the phone, get the paperwork in the mail, then do the math. You will see that YOU TOO, CAN BE RIPPED OFF!!!

I am sending in a letter w/ my findings to them, and asking to cancel my agreement. I'm sending it certified and return receipt. I will report back if/when they cancel my agreement.

Comments

• Al
      Nov 04, 2008
    Publishers Business Services - Harassment

I work in a very fast paced professional business office and one very unlucky day for me I was forwarded a call from Publishers Business Services and I unfortunately picked up the phone. This company must train it's people to speak very quickly because before I knew it I had just gotten myself into of $750.00 worth of magazines!!! About 2 weeks after that I received a bill for $18 and I refused to pay it. This company has since harassed me at work, on my personal cell phone and on my home phone which is a restricted number for over 4 months. I have spoken with 7 different representatives. I have asked each rep to just cancel the magazines. Instead they won't cancel but will shorten the subscription if I pay a lump sum of $560.00. Who has that type of money lying around for magazines??!!?? I refuse to pay this company and now they're telling me they are going to take me to court and file a judgement against me and will be contacting my payroll company and taking it out of my paychecks! Does anyone have any ideas to get this company to go away?

Oh and for future business people out there, STAY AWAY FROM: SEVEN-ONE-SIX, PUBLISHERS BUSINESS SERVICES AND PUBLISHERS DIRECT SERVICES. THEY ARE SCAM COMPANIES!!! BY YOUR MAGAZINES AT THE GROCERY STORE!

• Jf
      Jul 21, 2009

To what address did you send the cancellation request? I am in the same position!