Publish America

P. O. Box 151
Frederick, Maryland
Phone: (301) 695-1707
www.publishamerica.com
In my own opinion and after my own experiences and reading some of the experiences of fellow writer's, I am providing this information. Many of you may not be aware what options you have in contending with Publish America and their erroneous disregard for Federal Law. In most instances, many of you may believe that your case against them is merely a civil matter to be, settled in a lawsuit. However, you should know that if have receipts from any book sells and yet, PublishAmerica sent you a statement clearly showing no sales, this is a Federal offense. Falsifying documentation is a criminal offence. However, many of us live in states other than Maryland. Any crime that crosses state borders automatically falls under federal jurisdiction. Some matter is a civil matter and should be, handled in a lawsuit. However, if you have received a royalty statement from them that is contrary to the receipts you have, available; this is a crime. In addition, you can file a complaint with Internal Revenue Service because obviously, if they are refusing to pay you, they also refusing to pay taxes from the sales of your book. If you feel they have violated your legal rights, you can press charges against them using the following address. Please be sure to include your evidence of wrongdoing at the time of filing you complaint.

Mr. Eric Holder, U. S. Attorney General
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001

Most people file their complaints with the better business bureau. However, if they have failed to pay you as indicated by their website, the BBB of Maryland will accept the complaint but only if they with held money owed you such as, payment for services rendered. Remember, they cannot help you unless it is in regards to a company owing you for services.

The Council of Better Business Bureaus
4200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 800
Arlington, VA 22203-1838

If they have clearly stated that you have had no sells and yet, you have solid evidence of sales such as receipts from family members, you may file a complaint with the IRS to make them aware of the situation. Obviously, if they are refusing to pay you what you are entitled to, then they are also impeding the IRS from getting taxes owed. The IRS uses Form 911 for filing complaints that should be, addressed to the Inspector General. You can find the form using the following website.

Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration
Hotline
P.O. Box 589
Ben Franklin Station
Washington, DC 20044-0589

The information here is can be used for any publishing company that makes false claims regarding royalties owed you. In my opinion, as writers, we are all we have in this business. If your, legal rights were violated by this, company or any other, company you do have steps you can take to seek justice and I highly recommend you do so.
Some of you may feel that what I have presented here suggests I am at risk for a liable lawsuit. However, I have already submitted my evidence to the Department of Justice to be used against this particular company in the hope that future writers will have better protection against anyone that would take advantage of us. I do love Freedom of Speech.
Complaint comments Comments (3) Complaint country United States Complaint category Books

Comments

N  4th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes

Also, file charges against Publish America with the FBI. IC3 is the internet arm of the FBI for filing charges against Publish America. Please, if you have solid eveidence of Publish America's illegal activities, by all means, press charges on them.

W. K. Hayes
N  10th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
I have, myself, continued mailing publish america on trying to get back my books, "The Fallout, " "The Earthen Guardians, " and, "United Justice Society" from their contract. They say that my words are misconceptions, well I find that hard to believe. For example, "United Justice Society." After I signed the contract, I did more research--my fault for not doing this earlier--and found all that people had to say about Publish America, then started doing research on how to REALLY publish a book; which is done by a Literary Agent, almost rarely would you ever deal with a Publisher straight up. Well, since United Justice Society is an unfinished publication, I figured that they wouldn't mind releasing it--since they cannot do anything with it anyways. To my displeasure, though, they said that they can still sell it at their own discretion (This is not quoted from mail). I did not give them the questionaire pertaining to my address, name, zip, state or anything, not even the discription of the cover of the book. I did not give them the synopsis or the Author Bio of the book. Yet they still insist on wanting to keep, and sell, the book. I feel that is illegal, extremely illegal. They have not mailed me back on that book to say that they finished printing the book, nor have they asked for the questionaire, title, synopsis, final manuscript (which I have not provided them), or any of the above things that is necessary to publishing with them.

For the moment, I am leaving them be, but also keeping a look out for anything resembling my book, "United Justice Society, " should they attempt to sell it. I was going to patent the book by mailing it to myself so it had a date on it, but since my mail has the record of the ebook being forwarded to them, I currently hold the right of ownership for the book.

Any legal advice pertaining to Publish America and my said books would be appreciated. . .email me at my fanmail--not saying that any of you are my fans, but I won't give out my main email address. . .sorry--at, "fanbaseconnection@gmail.com". I have already decided to have someone buy my book and will keep the receipt for myself, then I shall wait for the next date I should recieve royalty and act from there on.

My thanks to all of you, and maybe, just maybe, Publish America will be brought to its knees one of these days.
N  21st of Mar, 2012 by    0 Votes
I am a unlucky published author of this place, and in maryland, ... as i read my contract i think it states i have audio rights? is this true, if it is.. i can then display my book in that form.. and not even deal with them.. 6-years in counting... to get my rights back...

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree