Providian / WaMu / Unethical company with bad business practices

United States Review updated:

Providian decided they wanted to start charging me "over the limit fees" when their finance charges take me over my credit limit. They did this 2 straight months before I closed my account and made a payment that would not allow them to do it again. Basically, I would be at $2,450 (Providian gave me a limit of $2,500), would buy gas ($40) to keep me under my credit limit by $10. They would tack on finance charges of $33, then an over the limit fee of $35. So my balance then became $2,558 with a minimum payment of $65 due the next month. I paid the $65, balance went down to $2,493. Then they charged me finance charges, then ANOTHER over the limit fee. It is friggin ridiculous! I will never do business with them again and hope no one else will even consider them. Please people, we have to make these banks compete on our terms, not theirs. We stop giving them our money, they will compete better (hopefully, ethically). I hope Providian flops and goes out of business. Their customer service is terrible too. The rep gave me an attitude when I complained. The government needs to step in and keep these financial institutions within ethical boundaries. The economy is bad enough as it is, now these clowns want to "nickel and dime" their customers until they go broke.
Va

Comments

Cu
  15th of Mar, 2009

Providian Wamu - CREDIT SCORES
Curt Electric & Supply, Inc.
Belgrade
92 Bullrush Ave.
Montana
Phone: 406-539-9999

FREE CREDIT SCORES WERE ALWAS INACCURATE... So had to join Transunion for $19.99 a month
Tu
  1st of May, 2009
You allowed yourself to get into that mess. It wasn't that Providian/WAMU decided to charge you; those were the terms you agreed to. Did it not make sense that if you only paid the minimum payment, the interest added for the next billing cycle would cause the remaining balance to go above your credit limit? You should have paid more than the minimum. Don't blame Providian/WAMU now Chase for something you didn't or refused to understand.