Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In
The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website

Providian Bank / Judgement Place on Wrong Person

New York, NY, United States Review updated:
Contact information:
Phone: 212-571-4900
This company have frozen my joint account with my husband. I contacted the company and told them I was never served, and after talking with a Mrs Davis, we realized that this credit card was never mine to begin with. The name is not the same, the address is incorrect, and I never got notified of anything. They advised me to send my drivers license, my social security card, and bank statement and work payments out with them. I again stated this isnt my account, but she told me I would have to deal with that, the only way to get this account unfrozen is to make payment arragement with them. I was shock to know that this could be done, no notification, the address is incorrect, and the name is different. How does this happen? Please with what is going on in the world today, this should not be ok to just take peoples money without all the correct information, its just not right.

More Providian Bank Complaints & Reviews


Sort by: UpDate | Rating
  12th of Mar, 2009
Agree Disagree 0 Votes
Contact your State Attorney General. Report all the facts that you are stating here; you were not served, they have frozen your bank account and the account they are trying to collect on is not yours. DO NOT MAKE ANY PAYMENT ARRANGEMENTS. DO NOT SEND THEM ANY COPIES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION

Send a copy of the complaint to the collection agency along with a letter requesting debt validation for this account.

Post your comment


Reply to