Protect America / Scam charges

United States Review updated:

Protect America security company sold us a home security kit and sent a different kit than they had sold us. We sent it back and because they had laughed at us on the phone when we wanted to talk to an employee who would help us we wanted to cancel the service that we hadn't had the chance to use! They charged us a cancellation fee when they had specifically stated it could be returned if it was unopened. We can never get a manager on the phone. Whatever you do, don't get caught in this fraud of a business! They also sent our credit card numbers and social security numbers through the mail when they aren't supposed to have that information at the company, the PCI compliance laws prohibit them from keeping that information!

Et

Comments

• Pa
      Mar 09, 2009
    Protect America - impossible to cancel
    protect america

terrible experience is more then a year that I'm trying to cancel, I fax 3 times, phone 4 times last year and everything was supposed to be canceled. It was not and I have just been told then I'm stucked with the contract for another year.

• Ay
      Mar 16, 2009

I had the same problem with them, and also got stuck with the equipment, they would not tell me an address to return the equipment to, they kept transferring to different people. They are not helpful at all. I guess this is how they make their money. Now they are sending us to debt collections.

• Co
      Jul 31, 2009

cheaters NOT TO BE TRUSTED ...They charged me a cancellation of $598.00 which at this point I'm in the process of doing because in the long run I'll be happier knowing that I WILL NEVER EVER HAVE A BOGUS BILLING FROM THEM AGAIN ...Please beware of sales rep "liars" ...!!!

• Va
      Dec 14, 2009
    Protect America - Scam artists
    Protect America
    protectamerica.com

Do not use this company!! they are scam artists. they are nice until you buy the product. i tried to return my alarm and they refused to cancel my 3 year contract and they charged me a restocking fee although i was promised otherwise.

• Mu
      Jun 08, 2010
    Protect America - Do not waste your time with this high pressure infantile sales team
    Protect America
    protectamerica.com

Do not waste your time with this high pressure infantile sales team. They have a script they read you they could care a less about your safety. God forbid they get your Phone#...they will call you until you beg to get taken off. Rude and Pushy.

• Ru
      Jun 22, 2010
    Protect America - wanted new contract before repair
    protect america
    Georgia

After having Protect America for five years and never calling for a repair . They said they would only come out if I signed a new contract. When I wouldn't go along with this the would not come. I canceled them and now my credit is harmed by their collection agency which are crooks also.

• Da
      Jun 15, 2011

this is old, but i've been looking into a newer security system for my new home and looked into protect america. it seems that the majority of the complaints about the company are all about the agreement contract you sign. i don't know how you were raised or how experienced you are with such documents, but i know to read the contract before i sign. had you and the rest of the people who feel the need to vent online fully went over the contract you would have known what you were in for. at that point you would have been able to decide not to continue with the purchase.

had you chosen to continue with the transaction, but fully read the contract you would have known the cancellation procedures required to prevent a renewal. if you followed the contract word for word to cancel instead of taking a strangers word for it, you would have had 100% undeniable evidence and a full proof argument against the company. you shouldn't jump to conclusions and call a company a fraud because you didn't do your research.

as to credit card numbers and socials through the mail, i do plenty of shopping online and have done much research on pci compliance. pci compliance basically states that a business that stores sensitive information like that, has to have sufficient security for their networks to insure that no one can just sneak in via internet connection and steal that info. it also states that they have to do everything in their power to insure limited exposure to that info, meaning only a few people at the company have access to it. pci also only has one condition that applies to call centers like protect america, and that condition is that the companies are no longer able to keep recordings that contain that info.

i can only say negative things about you saying that "they aren't supposed to have that information at the company". how do you think they charge your account or cards for payment? how do you think they do it every month automatically? do you think the company sends your cc info to some massive 3rd party center dedicated to billing and keeping your information from the people you willingly gave it to in the first place? and my biggest question, if you honestly think that the company who is SELLING you a service is not supposed to have your CC or bank account info, why on earth would you give it to them?

you clearly got into an agreement that you had no business making because you are clueless. sorry if i offend you, but i cant help but be irritated by most consumers sheer stupidity.

• Mo
      Jun 24, 2011

It's always amusing when employees of a company go onto a review site and then criticize the negative reviewers for that company. Seems to happen a lot in the home security industry. Wonder if employees make commissions on that, too...

FYI, if you take a look at the BBB complaints for Protect America, most are for the functionality of the system (600+ complaints), not for the contract terms.