ProjectorExpo / Fraud and cheating

1 NY, United States Review updated:

During a search for TVs I came across the projectorexpo on a price search web site with a very aggressive price on the TV I was looking at. Their reviews on the site seemed to be pretty good. I now know that their review rating has been manipulated by a high volume of fictitious postings. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and with my CC company as well. The following is the statement explaining the events which occurred.

I called Projectorexpo.com to place an order. Salesman claimed that the product I wanted was not in stock, but there was a different model that was $1000 better and only selling for $300 more. Better yet it was in stock and could ship same day. I did the upgrade. I requested a receipt. The salesman said that I would get a receipt via email in 3 to 5 days. I said that I needed one sooner than that and asked him to fax me one which he said he would. Two days later, no receipt. I tried calling. I would sit on hold for no less than 15 minutes at a time. Once someone finally picked up I would tell them that I needed to speak to someone about my order. Before I could even finish my sentence they would say "Let me transfer you to someone who can help you with that" and bam I was put on hold again for another 15 minutes. This went on for almost two hours. I gave up. The next day I tried calling again. This time when I got someone on the phone I asked to speak to someone about canceling my order. The first person replied that I couldn't because it had already shipped. When I asked for a tracking number he replied "Let me transfer you to someone who can help you with that". The next person I spoke to (15 minutes later) I asked about getting a tracking number for my order. He asked for my order number and when I gave it to him he replied that there was a problem with the shipment of that model from the manufacture and that it would be shipping to me for another 6 to 8 weeks, but they had an upgraded model I could purchase for just $400 more and it was in stock. When I replied that I would rather just cancel the order he replied "Let me transfer you to someone who can help you with that". After almost an hour of waiting and numerous more transfers I gave up. I'm positive I will not be getting a TV and I'm positive they will never let me cancel the order. I have contacted my credit card company and they are investigating the complaint.

Br

Comments

• Bi
      15th of Jul, 2008
    ProjectorExpo - Fraud and theft
    ProjectorExpo
    New York
    www.projectorexpo.com

The sales person "Brian" promised our company a Sony KDLW4100 flat screen TV for the "lowest price". We told him specifically *DO NOT* mail the TV to our billing address of the credit card we are submitting. Sure enough, after the TV hadn't arrived for a whole month, we called the commercial mail handling facility of our billing address and they had it for 10 days. They stated they could ship it for 180$. I called ProjectorExpo and talked to "Jean". I explained to her the circumstances and that we were going to incur 180$ more in cost due to a mistake of Projector Expo. She said she would talk to the manager and have her call us, which never occurred. I called back and she was rude and belligerent not allowing me to speak. She stated that it is company policy not to ship the TV any where else than the billing address on the credit card and that there was nothing they could do. I told her that the sales person Brian didn't follow the company policy in order to make the sale, and thus cheating us out of 180$. She would not take ownership of the problem. She would not credit back 180$ to cover shipping costs that was their mistake. To top it off the TV price - 2200$ - was in the higher end of prices.

I also tried contacting them to update my order status by email. I always received the reply below. They claimed they had order tracking - yet when I tried to track my order, even after the TV was delivered, no useful information was ever published. They also take their phones off the hook between 12:00 and 1:00 pm. To me this is a front end loaded business that disguises its deceitful practices through a decent looking web site. Generate sales but screw the customer.

Beware of Projector Expo.

Dear Valued Customer,

Please call us toll free at 1-800-374-2324 and speak to a knowledgeable
    representative who will be glad to assist you in answering any questions you
    may have.

7th of Jan, 2009
    ProjectorExpo - Bad service
    ProjectorExpo
    projectorexpo.com

Seems like a good deal of NEGATIVE ratings. So why do people buy from them? My experience: I ordered a TV and was informed by the usual phone call the next day, that it was refurbished, but CLASS "A" REFURBISHED, meaning, said the salesman, that "it was brand new, never opened, but sent back to the factory because the store that sold it went out of business" blah, blah, blah. No real problem here as all my computers are factory refurbished and I have never had problem. But the TV was NOT brand new. I called the company and got a clear history of it. It was in fact returned to the company and truly refurbished, with a warranty cut from 12 months to one month. I suspected the warranty would be less so ordered an extended three year warranty. Again no real problem. But the true problem lies with ProjectorExpo.com for misrepresenting the facts about the TV, and worse, refusing to acknowledge my email to alert them of the misrepresentation by their salesman. That is the real problem: you won't know what you're getting and who will be there to assist you. Bottom Line: be very careful when, or if you deal with ProjectorExpo.com. Even though my written invoice stated "Class A Refurbished" they never acknowledged my concern. Probably best to close them down and have their staff try to find work elsewhere.

• Mi
      13th of Jun, 2009

I purchased a television from ProjectorExpo and thought for sure it was a scam... I called and called, wanted tracking information and all that... I was going to cancel my order with my credit card company (I found a worse TV for a similar price) and then miraculously it came. I noticed their website has been shut down for a while. My TV came in about a month after I ordered it. My friend was amazed by the deal I had got and tried to go to their website only to find that it was still up but that they weren't accepting orders.