Progressive Direct / Unauthorized charges

Was with company 3 months. The company raised rates without warning, when asked reason they said they didn't have a BMV report on the driver listed on the policy. During the initial policy setup on the phone, the operator was able to see the listed driver's BMV record when the policy was setup in the first place.

So after the rate-per-month rose by over 30% the next month, I decided to go to another carrier and save substantial. What happened when I called in to cancel? They sack me with a cancellation charge of $50 dollars something I wasn't made aware of.

So if you think all the hype about comparing their rates online makes them a better deal, think again!

Be

Comments

• Oi
      2nd of Feb, 2012
    Progressive Direct - Attempted to take $349.66
    Progressive Direct

My insurance lapsed because I did not pay. Progressive no longer would accept electronic payments so I paid via the phone debit card for September insurance in November 2011. Progressive is attempting to force me to pay for months the car was not insured the last 3 months of my policy and has sent to collection agency to ruin my credit. Progressive is saying an attempt of payment was made and this kept the car insured when they without my authorization tried to take $349.66 from my account and this gives them the right to collect the money saying the car was insured. I made a complaint to the Insurance Commission Bureau.

• Sh
      6th of Feb, 2012

Unfortunately, insurance companies can force you to pay for lapsed months in order to reinstate you. If possible, pay the amount because it is against the law to drive without insurance. If you try to switch carriers, you may be ineligible because of your lapse of coverage. They may consider you a bad risk and charge you more as well. You can fight it if you want, but I would pay it if I were you.