Professional Fitness / Unauthorized billing

If you are thinking of getting a personal trainer be careful if you select Professional Fitness Trainers. They will have you sign a contract. Once the contract expires, if you don't cancel the contract their way you'll be automatically renewed.

My contract with Professional Fitness Trainers expired in December of 2008. The manager in the Peak Fitness Downtown Raleigh location informed me that it was about to expire and asked me if I wanted to renew. I emphatically told him that I could not afford to renew. I told him that when things were better for me financially I would revisit the possibility of renewal then. I was never billed in the month of December. Then today I went on my on-line bank account and realized that they had debited my account for a month of personal training. I called the Personal Fitness Trainers office at the Peak Fitness location in Downtown Raleigh. They gave me the number for the corporate office. I called the corporate office on Six Forks Road in Raleigh. They told me that I did not cancel the contract in the “right way". They explained to me that I needed to send them a certified letter telling them I wanted to cancel or else my contract would automatically renew. I told them I wanted to cancel the contract and get my $240 back. They told me that they would not refund my money but that I could have training sessions instead.

I find this to be an unethical, dishonest way of trying to retain customers.

I've contacted the Better Business Bureau, Monica Laliberty with 5 On Your Side of WRAL and Attorney General Roy Coopers office.

The trainer was good, it's just to bad he works for such a dishonest company.

Po

Comments

• Nc
      17th of Mar, 2009

I had a very similar experience and keep getting the run around from the corporate office. In fact, just yesterday the person at the corporate office told me that the president's email was available on their web site and that I could email him directly. Guess what, I went to the web site and the only thing available is a standard "contact us" form. Any word from 5 on your side of the Attorney General?

• Di
      7th of Apr, 2009

In Fayetteville NC: Professional Fitness had trainers at my gym, but the gym stopped using Pro Fitness and switched to another company. I, and many others, filled out the proper paperwork to transfer to the new personal trainers. We are now being billed by both companies. Professional Fitness is not a trustworthy company and will not receive any money from me.

• Di
      7th of Apr, 2009

Check out this company's 'F' rating on BBB:
    Report your issues! This company needs to fix itself.

• Br
      11th of May, 2009

I am one of Professional Fitness customers and I feel like I have been duped. Their field representative presented me with a contract that I specifically asked to have end after six months. He assured me that there would be no automatic renewal because he wrote at the top "five payments of $96.21 for 20 sessions" and that would be the completion of the contract. Since that time this company has "extorted" an addition $400 from me, hiding behind the small print of the contract and a thirty day notification period. Does it really take thirty days to cancel a contract? It only took four days for you to send a letter to ask for more money that you had no ethical or moral claim to. Their businesses practices should be reviewed if they are truly are a company concerned with customer service as they state on their web-site. Perhaps the Better Business Bureau will be able to provide that oversight.

15th of Jun, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me in Niagara Falls, New York. There is nothing professional about this company.

• Pp
      9th of Jul, 2009

If anyone has a problem with the company "Professional Fitness", you can reach Regional Vice-President, [name removed], on his personal cell phone. The number is [removed]

He looks forward to hearing from you.

• Tr
      20th of Aug, 2009

I am still being charged by this company and am pretty sure I jumped through all the hoops that was required to cancel my contract. Very sad way to conduct business. And getting someone to respond to me has been pathetic.
    Tracie Byers
    Statesville NC

• Li
      19th of Sep, 2009

I have spent countless hours on the phone with professional fitness. I went to the attorney general of NC and on my 2nd round with them. This is ridiculous. I have sent 2 certified letters and still they are billing me for service that I am not getting. Im just afraid its going to ruin my credit. I live in Niagara Falls, NY by the way. Short of contacting an attorney, I am about at my wit's end.

• Ka
      5th of Oct, 2009

Everyone on this post is correct. They rip you off and they are liars!

• Ar
      26th of Oct, 2009

The same thing is going on in Connecticut now. I think our Attorney General is filing a class action suit against them but no official word. I hate this company with a passion and they should just take away their right to conduct business in any state.

• Se
      26th of Oct, 2009

I wish I would have seen this article and read these comments before I signed my contract with professional fitness!!! It is amazing how a company can take advantage of people. I want to know why their name is Professional Fitness because there is absolutely NOTHING professional about them!!! I signed the contract for personal training because I was getting married in July. The contract was only for 3 months and I directly asked if the contract would expire in 3 months and I was told yes! They drafted my account for 3 months after the expiration date on the contract and one time caused the account to overdraft! I called them and told them I needed to cancel my account and they told me I had to send a letter. The girl was very rude and told me that they would get there money out of me no matter what! I mailed a letter and faxed a letter asking for confirmation that my contract would be cancelled. I never have recieved a response so I went to the bank and cancelled my debit card and got a new one. They are still hasseling me and charging me $140 every month which I refuse to pay because I haven't recieved personal training since July and was supposed to have a cancelled contract in July. I am a newly wed and they are trying to drain every penny we have and it has gone too far.

27th of Oct, 2009

I canceled my contract by letter exactly how they said in the contract. I am still being billed. I'm calling my lawyer today. Go to your banks and have them put a stop payment on the company!

• Li
      3rd of Nov, 2009

Anyone get an resolution to this yet? I am going throught the same thing now.

• Ct
      5th of Nov, 2009

We have a very similar experience in others in Connecticut. Professional Fitness have been ordered from Work Out World gyms however they are retaining monies we paid in advance and refusing to refund it. I took this to the Better Business Bureau however Professional Fitness are unwilling to provide the contact details for their lawyers. However the BBB advised that it is possible to take this up with the North Carolina Department of Justice, who have a department detailing with people who have been conned. The website is as follows:

Good luck to all fighting the b@stards at Professional Fitness. Karma will catch up with this ### one day.

• Ro
      23rd of Nov, 2009

Let me give you the number of the Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky regional manager. 513-846-8036. His name is John Mayberry. He is a real tool also but good luck anyways. you reap what you sow right

• In
      14th of Dec, 2009

Sounds like people do not read the contracts that they sign. People seem to think that the gym, or the trainer, or anyone else but themselves is responsible for. I have worked for a lot of these companies, and I have seen both the good, and the bad. Professional fitness is't a great company to be sure, and they are even worse to work for. However, I would encourage people to READ the CONTRACT frontand back. This is how they are able to get you. They pump you up, get you all excited, them hit you with a package, and the sales guy is under a crazy amount of pressure to sign you in order to keep his job, so he will tell you just about anything. Ifyou readthe contract, you can protect yourself, and know exactly what you are getting into.

• Un
      3rd of Jan, 2010

i used to work for professional fitness as a trainer. we were fortunate to have a talented group working there, but that was just luck, the company holds no standards and gives no guidance. they only pay their trainers between $6-$8 a half hour session. when i started i was told i was being payed $16 but never told that was for training 2 people. so in order to make a small pay check you have to train at least 70 people a week...to many to give your clients personalized attention. the company also did not have a phone we could use to schedule these clients. after complaining about my pay i was given a raise, which was never actually given to me. i battled it for months and had to call the same corporate number as the customers do and never could get a hold of anyone. i actually was hung up on, called back within a minute and told everyone was on lunch...right. as a result of this method of trying to get the correct pay i was told to just make sales, that's how i would make more money. i gave it a try and never once recieved commision, there was always an excuse. eventually they accused all the trainers of fraud and took $200 dollars out of my paycheck without telling me. the company has no computer system, no communication, and no system period that's consistent throughout the company. i quit on the spot. I would NEVER work or train with this compnay. they all lie and treat there employees with little respect and lie to them too.

• Cr
      7th of Jan, 2010

This is a super horrible company. I just filed a complaint with the BBB. I cancelled my membership in May 2008. I had to send in a check for 10% of the contact price (it ended up being $123.90). They cashed the check but kept on charging my card. Luckily, I noticed the first fraudulent charge and had my card marked lost/stolen and a new credit card sent out. I contacted them and they said it was their mistake and that they would no longer be charging me. Months later I got a call from a company called Paramount Acceptance, who is apparently their collection agency. Paramount Acceptance has worked very hard to get my situation fixed but it was to no avail. I have called their toll free number dozens of times and have only spoken to an operator five or so times. Each time I speak to the operator she transfers me to a number that just rings and rings or to some guy named Anthony's voicemail. Anthony nor anyone else has ever returned my call. I have noticed that they have an "F" designation by the Better Business Bureau.

I have found the following numbers for this company

919-827-4663
    919-827-4664
    1-800-856-1229
    The above three numbers appear to all be linked to the same customer service line.

I have found the manager of the Cincinatti area, John Mayberry at 513-846-8036. Try giving him a call if you want. The squeaky wheel gets the oil after all.

I have also found their fax number 1-866-829-0568. Their customer service director's name is Kyle Roy but I have not been able to get a number for him yet.

• Th
      23rd of Feb, 2010

I am owed $600 from those liars. I was charged by both Professional fitness and the new company that my husband and I signed a contract with. Now pro. fit is all tied up in a lawsuit and over a year later I havn't gotten my money back. I am so mad i don't even feel like owrking out. Call that crazy.

• Tr
      3rd of Jun, 2010

Hey everyone. I have another insight to add to this. I've been both a customer and an employee of professional fitness in Ohio although I wised up and got away from them. As far as being a customer of pro-fit I have seen dozens of people with the same billing problems that you all have had. It's far too common. It happens with almost everyone it seems like. My contract just ended and I've sent in my certified letter so I shouldn't be billed for june...but I have a hunch I will be. I agree with the person that says to simply go to your bank and have them stop payment. I don't know if that works or not, but hopefully your bank will go to bat for you.

Now while I was still a client for pro-fit I also became a personal trainer for them. I worked for them for literally 2 months. In that time our club went through 4 bosses. Continuity means nothing to this company. The members of our club became angry at the lack of consistent leadership at the club, and the trainers of course were extremely discouraged at this as well. This is one reason I decided to go be a trainer for another company.

The biggest issue I had with pro-fit as an employee was one of my paychecks was accidently sent to the wrong club. Okay, it was an honest mistake I think. But getting the payroll department to correct the mistake has been nothing but hassle after hassle. I had to go from may 1 to june 1 without a paycheck by no fault of my own. I'm still trying to get that check. I had to threaten to get an attorney to even have them think twice about me.

As far as John Maberry goes, yes I know him personally, he was in and out of our club in Ohio as our regional GM. That is his correct cell phone number. I urge you to call him, blow up his phone and complain to him although I know he won't do anything about it. He'll try and smooth talk you by offering you free sessions and crap like that. It's what he does. He's a salesman. Rumor is he was in prison for 20 years. He's also a bodybuilder so he has a meathead, tough guy mentality. I never liked him. Luckily he wasn't in our club terribly often.

Long story short the club I worked for is no longer using pro-fit because of the complaints of members regarding them and the actually lost members over it. I don't like this company, I can't believe it's still in business.