Professional Animal Breeders / Suggestion, not a complaint

To start out, I would like to announce that I am a big-time animal lover. I work with animals thru my local SPCA, suppor Defenders of Wildlife, among other things. I don't want to make people angry, but, I have been reading some of the complaints regarding catteries and dog breeders and it really makes me sad.

As I mentioned, I work with the SPCA and I see so many dogs and cats come and go, many having been mistreated or injured or abandoned. Unfortunately, not all can be adodpted out.

What I'm trying to say is that before you go to a breeder for a specific type of animal, try looking to your local SPCA and the county animal shelters nearby. You never know, I have seen full litters of purebred puppies come through our shelter. Also, before you buy, go on-line and check for the rescues of specific breeds. Many times you can find what you're looking for without the huge charges from a breeder. Also, check on-line with PetFinders! There are pictures and locations of animals all across the US. If you don't find the exact "breed" you're looking for, don't be so picky. You could likely find a mix-breed that looks exactly like a pure-bred! It happens quite often. Only you would be the one aware of its pedigree.

By doing this, you could help to eliminate the over population of so many animals not to mention giving your home and heart to someone that really needs it. (Not the breeders that are only out for money.)

ALSO, REMEMBER TO ALWAYS SPAY OR NEUTER YOUR CATS AND DOGS!!!

Comments

• Am
      19th of Sep, 2008

While I am all for adopting dogs through rescues and shelters, the following statement is extreamly ignorant:

"If you don't find the exact "breed" you're looking for, don't be so picky. You could likely find a mix-breed that looks exactly like a pure-bred! It happens quite often. Only you would be the one aware of its pedigree."

99% of the time a person looking for a specific breed is not doing so because of looks but because of temperment and breed qualities. I'm sure a boxer / lab mix or a pit bull / lab mix would look very similar but have very different personalities. Spaying / neutering your pet is one way to cut back on rescue populations, but so many dogs are abandoned or returned because the dog itself was not a proper fit for their home.

Any responsible breeder will not sell a puppy to a person that they do not think can handle that specific breed and will always have a return clause stating that if something does not work out with the puppy the owner will return it to the breeder for rehoming as opposed to taking it to a shealter / rescue.

People need to think through getting a dog and what requirments that specific breed has before actually aquiring one.