Proactiv / worst customer service

NY, United States Review updated:

Proactiv has the absolute customer service I have ever dealt with. I used Proavtiv a few years back and it worked and was a quality product. So recently I decided to try it again. I think in order to cut costs they not only made the bottles they come in complete crap (the little plastic connecter on the top breaks on every single bottle and then the top doesn't shut and the product dries out), but I think they cut corners on the formula as well. I might as well have been washing my face with bar soap for all the good it was doing. So after a couple of months I gave up and started using something else (cheaper and sold in a store, not like this shady daytime tv infomercial crap) and it actually worked. I was busy with work and wasn't exactly sure when my membership was up, so when I saw the charge on my card one morning I immediately called to cancel. The girl on the phone told me that they wouldn't give me a refund until I received the product and sent it back. Now, I am positive that it hasn't gone out yet. No company anywhere sends a product out while the charge is still pending on your credit card. That's why they always charge you a couple of days before, right? Besides the fact that it takes the product 3 weeks after they charge me to get to me. There is no way that it takes that long. It's that they don't send it out right away. Anyway, I asked to talk to her manager and she was like "I can get you an account supervisor" which doesn't sound like a manager to me and when I asked if it was the equivalent all she would say is "that's her title". So I imagine now I am being transferred to the girl who sits next to her who has no more authority than she does. And I could tell as soon as this woman got on the phone-her name was Karen-that she was told beforehand not to give me anything. Sticking together against the rude customer and all of that. So she immediately tells me the same thing-that I have to wait to return the product to get my money back. So basically I have to wait over a month before they will refund me. To top it all off, she was rude, condescending, unprofessional, patronizing, defensive, inarticulate, and threatened to hang up on me. Even if this weren't $45 dish soap I wouldn’t buy their product just so as not to have to deal with the high school drop outs that this company hires for "customer service".

Comments

• Jj
      Jul 27, 2008
    Proactiv - did not receive full order
    ProActiv
    931 S. Pennsylvania St.
    Denver
    Colorado
    Phone: 3037777603

I ordered the 5 course Proactiv Solutions. They said they would send Vita Clear Vitamins free. I only received the Vita Clear and have never received the Proactiv which I paid for.

• Pr
      Jan 01, 2010

You should call Guthy-Renker Corporate Office, the owner of Proactiv. Their phone number is 1-760-773-9022, or toll-free 1-800-274-4910 and dial 0 (zero) for consumer affairs. I hope this helps!

• Xk
      Mar 22, 2010
    Proactiv - horrible cust. service
    Texas

LONG story short, they NEVER mentioned that there would be an automatic delivery w/ automatic debit set up after the trial version. They continued to ship product out and BILL ME after I "cancelled." When I called, they said that my debit card was removed from the system but my account was never closed. I was told to keep the last box or to "do whatever I wanted with it." After hearing that, I put it aside and assumed (after talking to about 10 different reps) all was taken care of. Boy, was I wrong. I started getting bills saying I had late payments and such. I called again and they said that since it had been past 60 days, I had to pay for the box I didn't even want. Even after I explained that not *one* of their employees mentioned the 60 day time limit, they still told me there was nothing they can do. I have sent them payments of $10 increments only to find out they "haven't received" any of them. I have been on hold for over 30 mins after finding out my outstanding balance is about to be turned in to collections! I hope this company falls to pieces and I will do whatever I can to discourage people from using their ### product! P.S. "doctors, " you aren't supposed to exfoliate every [censored]ing day!

• Ke
      Mar 22, 2010

Might I suggest an alternative website: http://www.danielkern.com/ (from the Acne.org website)

I have acne problems and I find that Acne.org really helps. Lots of tips and I like the product. If you don't like the product (which takes weeks for your skin to get used to. I find that applying it after a steamy shower helps it to absorb into the skin) the website gives alternative products that you might want to try that are not affiliated with the company.

When it comes to shipping: I had an incident with an over $30 customs charge. Not their fault. Then again, I'm only one person; I haven't seen anyone else complain about the site yet. Maybe that's a good sign.

Hope this helps :)

Mar 23, 2010
    Proactiv - misleading advertisement
    Chris Barron
    Palm Springs
    California

Bought 19.95 special and did not notice automaic renewal - ok. After speaking with representative they said $33.38 charge and then it ended. I cancelled my account. Then they charged another $40 to my account saying it was actually $73.

They absolutely and blatantly lie!!!

Phone your government and your bank otherwise they will continue to get away with this!!!

• Gr
      Apr 23, 2010

Hi Chris:

We're sorry you had this frustrating experience and we appreciate you bringing it to our attention. From your post, it sounds like your issue has ultimately been resolved (you've been credited for the charges?), but if there's anything at all that is still unresolved, please email our corporate customer service team at [protected]@guthy-renker.com so they can make a special effort to look into your account to identify how we could have served you better and what else we can do to help you. If you include a link to this post as well as your name and zip code (ATTN: RENEE), they'll be able to find your account records and contact you directly with a solution.

Again, we're sorry you experienced this and appreciate the feedback.

Corrie (Proactiv - USA)

• Gr
      Apr 23, 2010

Hi Kathryn:

We're sorry you had this frustrating experience. As I am getting back to you a bit late, I hope that your issues have been resolved at this point; however, I want to offer to look into your account to ensure that's the case. I want to invite you to email our corporate customer service team at [protected]@guthy-renker.com so they can make a special effort to look into your account and call logs to identify how we could have served you better and what else we can do to help you. If you include a link to this post as well as your name and zip code (ATTN: RENEE), they'll be able to find your account records and contact you directly with a solution.

Again, we're sorry you experienced this and appreciate the feedback.

Corrie (Proactiv - USA)

• He
      May 05, 2010

I totally agree. We ordered the free trial, and they shipped the second month without notice. They overdrafted my debit card in that process. They don't keep track of logged phone calls, as we called twice and returned the product timely and still no refund. They still show a $19.95 balance on my account after charging $25.94 on my debit card on 2/16/10. After calling today and getting the runaround, I will be reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.

Heather

• Ry
      May 17, 2010
    Proactiv - terrible customer service
    Guthy-Renker
    Cincinnati
    Ohio

I was a ProActiv club member, but I would find success in the product, but I would need to stop using it after a few months, then restart. I was shipped a product that I didn't need, so I called to cancel my membership and ship the product back. However, I still received bills. I called and spoke to someone in customer service. She gave me conflicting dates on when calls were made versus when product was returned. The way she explained it to me, as long as I CALLED within 60 days to cancel, I was fine. Based on her dates, I did exactly that but they will not take a $57.94 charge off of the account. I was only told that I needed to ship the product back by writing RETURN TO SENDER on the box. NEVER was I given a due date. The CS rep even told me it would take "several" weeks for the product to arrive at the warehouse. I have family who were thinking of trying this product, but I have already given them another product to try, and told them that ProActiv has HORRIBLE customer service, and it is not worth buying ANYTHING from them. Some family members are canceling their memberships because they see the problems I have gone through. The worse part is that I cancelled my membership before when my face reached it's best level, so I was going to eventually need ProActiv again. Now, I will use ANYTHING before I spend my money with them EVER AGAIN.

• Di
      Aug 17, 2010
    Proactiv - completely untrustworthy

Very, very shady company--should have realized this before ordering. Their website is deliberately circular and confusing to navigate. There is no way to terminate accounts online or even instructions as to how to go about doing so. They "cancelled" my account, but actually didn't, then continued to send out unwanted shipments charged at a higher, non-member price--which means that they received the cancellation! They are very unethical. I haven't experienced this kind of deceit since the notorious Columbia House CD club. Please avoid this company. Toxic ingredients aside, their customer service is terrible.

Sep 20, 2010
    Proactiv - proactiv
    Proactiv
    proactiv.com

I wanted 2 order ProActiv, but googled "ProActiv Complaints" 1st & saw all these negative reviews, but I decided to go on the website & see 4 sure if ProActiv really tells u about shipping u more products & to my surprise it did! So, I thought 'I can place this order, cuz it's telling me plain as day...whatever' Right before I submitted my order there's a paragraph saying something like you'll get shipp. every 90 days a 3 month supply for the MONTHLY price of 19.95 (shipp.$8)So I would assume thats EVERY month that I would be billed, but shipped every 3 months. So, I decided to call the website # online & claify this before placing my order & the women answered my question right away & said "yes, u r billed 3 monthy payments, basically so your not paying $60 at once- unless u want to of course. But this starts out as payments" So she was asking me my info. & I was letting her take a little bit of my order, while I asked questions (cuz I luv to ask questions) & she explained the whole "replenishment program" throughly telling me 'Ance is not curable & will come back if u stop using the product so thats why they continue to ship (which is something I never knew, I thought it was curable; silly me)& I'm an honest person; so I told her about going online & reading ppl being charged w/o knowing it...then she said b/c I gave her my email, I would get a e-mail confirmation telling me the order being shipped @ about the "replenishment" & my invoice when I get this in the mail, would actually say the exact dates of the next shipp. so I would know a month ahead of time when I'd be billed & she said I could CANCEL at any time even BEFORE the next shippment so I did NOT have to get the 90-day supply if I didn't want 2 & they have a 60-day $ back gaurentee (sp?) which I spent lots of $ buying over-the-counter products which I CANNOT return! bla, bla..so I let her take my order & I think the most annoying thing was, even though she explained the "replenishment"; recieving future shipp.in the beginning of the call...she told me again after she took my card # & Again at the end of the call, so I'm thinking, "if I already know about it lady, u don't need to tell me 3x's." which I said nicely (cuz I'm not going to be mean about it, u know, just make a joke)..so she tells me that she HAD to tell me twice! She said "legally" they HAVE to tell u before & after taking your card! Or they cant process your order & they'd have to cancel & she gave me the cust. service # at the end of the call. I wrote it down to have on hand..& guess what?...I got that email confirm. 2 days later & w/in a week, I got my Proactiv w/ an invoice telling me the exact dates of my next shipp.! so I called cust. service & had them put my next shipp. on hold untill I'm ready to call back to order more (2 see how well this works). Which the women in cust. service was nice w/ me & said she understood & put it on hold & reminded me about the 24/7 skin care advisors, if I have any questions about the products.(Which I would never have that option w/ any store brand products)So, I'm thinking are these ppl 'online' NOT reading the whole website (& maybe only reading what they want to read, aka, 'selective reading and hearing') or maybe your just talking to reps. from other countries who dont know how to speak english well, & u cant understand them so u say "ok" to everything...I'm confused...I only know 3 other ppl that use proactiv & upon questioning...they had nuttin bad to say cuz they read everything, understood what they were being told, paid attention...bla, bla. So I'll see how well this works for my face. I just dont like ppl talking trash when this info. was in my face & was told over & over about future shipp. and had it all laid out! I just set up my acct. online and reviewed everything on the website.

Nov 01, 2010

I ordered my proactiv in mid-june of this year, tried it out, it made my skin waaay worse, so I talked to a rep on the phone who told me to send it back. So I sent it back mid July (WELL under the 60 day money back guarantee), and was told not to contact them before about a month and a half as that is how long it would take for them to process the return. Well 2 months goes by, I email to find out where my refund is, and they claim they never received it at their warehouse, so it was "too late" for me to return my product (that I obviously didn't even have since I RETURNED it). So of course I am really ticked off that I wasted $10 shipping it back, and never got my money. Well just the other day I came across my receipt from sending it back. It even had the postal code of the place in Mississauga where returns are sent. So I tracked the package online and it turns out they DID receive the package on July 28. And a D. McLean even SIGNED for it!!! So they LIED about receiving the package, so I emailed them and attached the receipt and the delivery notice from canadapost.com, evidence that should definitely prove that I sent it back. And they STILL refuse to refund me!! Bunch of friggin crooks!!!

Nov 01, 2010

I could not agree with you more!! I ordered my proactiv (from Guthy-Renker) in mid-june of this year, tried it out, it made my skin waaay worse, so I talked to a rep on the phone who told me to send it back. So I sent it back mid July (WELL under the 60 day money back guarantee), and was told not to contact them before about a month and a half as that is how long it would take for them to process the return. Well 2 months goes by, I email to find out where my refund is, and they claim they never received it at their warehouse, so it was "too late" for me to return my product (that I obviously didn't even have since I RETURNED it). So of course I am really ticked off that I wasted $10 shipping it back, and never got my money. Well just the other day I came across my receipt from sending it back. It even had the postal code of the place in Mississauga where returns are sent. So I tracked the package online and it turns out they DID receive the package on July 28. And a D. McLean even SIGNED for it!!! So they LIED about receiving the package, so I emailed them and attached the receipt and the delivery notice from canadapost.com, evidence that should definitely prove that I sent it back. And they STILL refuse to refund me!! Bunch of friggin crooks!!!

• Pa
      Nov 06, 2010
    Proactiv - return not processed
    Proactiv
    proactiv.com

I believe Proactiv chose not to process my return until I called them to follow up. I'm guessing that's illegal. I contacted Proactiv for a return, and sent my product back on 8/25/10. When I contacted them 11/6/10 because I still hadn't received a refund, they said they had no record of receiving the product. When I gave them the tracking number, they looked it up, and agreed they had, indeed received the product, and then processed my refund. I honestly believe they knew they had received my product return, and were hoping I would either forget about the refund or not have a tracking number to prove it had been received. These people are seriously, seriously shady. And they were rude, to boot!

• Am
      Apr 15, 2011

I agree, I wanted to try Pro Activ and i had received a box. I didn't know it was a 90 day supply so they charged me 34.56 the second time. When i saw the Charge i called right away to stop it. I told them i don't want the product and i want to cancel my account. They said they had already shipped it out and they will cancel my account today but i need to return the item and i will receive my money back. I had returned the item once i have received it and called 2 weeks after to see why my money was not still returned. They said they haven't received the box yet but the assured me my account was canceled. The NEXT! day i find my account was charged AGAIN! 19.95 from them. I called Customer Service to ask, WHY WAS MY ACCOUNT CHARGED IF IT WAS CANCELED?!. She had said your account is canceled but we have not yet received the box and we will continue charging you until we have received the box. Then i asked her so will i be receiving another box in the mail?!. She said no, but my account will be continuously charged until they receive that ONE! box. I told her that doesn't make since. So i called my bank to file a claim and to stop the charges. Not to mention, the lady was being very rude and yelling on the phone. Also, she didn't ask if i needed further assistance and just said "have a nice day, bye." NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY FROM THEM.

Apr 16, 2011

That's terrible :( Hopefully they eventually refunded you in full??

Apr 16, 2011

Pretty much exactly what happened to me. Except they claimed they hadn't gotten the package, when I knew they had because I had the tracking number and the package was signed for when it was received at the warehouse. I fought with them over it for over a month and finally they refunded me about 5 months after I returned it.

• Ko
      Apr 27, 2011
    Proactiv - unauthorized charge!!
    Proactiv/ Guthy Renker
    Ontario
    Canada

I had tried proactiv as I had a flare up of acne for a few months, needless to sya it did not work.. So i never bothered to reorder.. to my surprise i got charge with a second order, no notification and am now expected to pay shipping and handling for both ways if i was to return the product!! I have sent numerous emails complaining and stating what I was, and one would think that $15 would not be a big thing to resolve but its been hell! I get the same script, irrelevant to my email as a reply. I have recently emailed head office about their customer service, so i will see what comes out of it.

• Se
      May 18, 2011

Wow, today I got the same crap, but hav e been talking to them since February No money back or Product...I really hope that people come read these comments before ever buying from them! I should have!

•   Jun 30, 2011

Ewww, you have pimples!

• Ju
      Sep 22, 2011

I should have read this board first ... I thought I was doing something nice for my daughter in law and now these rip off artists will not refund my money for a package she never received. They cant give you a tracking number because "There is not a tracking number available for our shipments since they are shipped in bulk. If you requested rush shipping the shipping time is 5-7 business days from the time it leaves our warehouse." WOW that is not what their website says
    Their customer service is some of the worst I have encountered

• Ju
      Sep 22, 2011

Their customer service is some of the worst I have EVER encountered