Prime Manchester Subaru / Threats and Intimidation in Response to Complaint

Manchester, NH, United States Review updated:

I had my complaint buried within another customer's thread and it merits its own entry so here is is: In the Fall of 2009 I purchased a brand new Subaru at Manchester Subaru. The car was missing a part and I noticed this only when I returned home. It took six or seven weeks of calling to finally get the part. Multiple phone calls to my Sales Rep and his Supervisor were not returned. When I did get either of them on the phone then promises of action were not kept. For example, I was supposed to hear back the next week and didn't hear anything, or the part would definitely be in in two weeks, etc., etc. I soon realized they were just stalling. Finally, after a month or so I left a message for the owner, Todd Berkowitz, naively thinking this would get things moving. Guess what? Nothing changed! Noone called me and so I then had the idea of complaining to Subarua of America. ONLY THEN did I start seeing results. After about seven weeks I got a call to come in for the part. I was so upset about not getting straight answers, no call backs, etc. that I went straight to the owner's office to find out 1.) Why I received such lousy customer service, 2.) If the broken promises and bad customer service were acceptable to the owner, and, 3.) Why he (Todd Berkowitz) never returned my call. What happened next? The experience of speaking with Todd Berkowitz was like trying to get a straight answer out of a Philadelphia Lawyer. When I asked why these things had happened he said he didn't know because he delegated it. I then asked why he didn't return my phone call and he said he doesn't return those types of calls and refers them to his staff. When I spoke of the non-responsiveness and lies he said I was "... only hearing your [my] side of the story", which was disingenous because he made no effort to get the other side of the story while I was in his office. After just a few minutes of trying to get him to care about my experience... and this is really why it is worth getting the word out on this incident... Mr. Berkowitz said he was tired of arguing and was going to throw me out! I said I knew my rights and hadn't finished relating my entire experience -- at which point he said he was going to call the Police and have me arrested for trespassing!
This was a serious threat that was unwarranted, unjust, and, frankly, repugnant. I am a law abiding citizen and this coward resorts to threats of calling the Police to get rid of me. I have never been treated by a business so badly... EVER! The sad fact is that all I was looking for was an explanation and an apology and he was not willing to provide either one. I received only threats and intimidation. That's how my patronage was returned. Any one who patronizes Manchester Subaru is patronizing a business owned by a cretin, a man who acts indecently and will resort to any action to avoid facing up to a mistake by his dealership. A GOOD DEAL ON A CAR IS NOT WORTH THIS AMOUNT OF AGGRAVATION -- BE FOREWARNED.

Fr

Comments

• Fr
      Dec 04, 2010

'immodest', your question makes no sense in context of my situation. Did you read my post or are you just a troll on this board? Are you affiliated with Manchester Subaru? The point of the story is that the owner threatened to have me first thrown out and then arrested, without any reasonable justification, when I complained in person. I was lied to, ignored, strung along, treated rudely, and ultimately threatened. The car part is really secondary. But, since you asked... I was so disgusted that I actually did ask my salesman at the time, Matt Knevezic, if I could return the car and he said that was not an option! Any more questions?

Dec 04, 2010

immodest, the other thing about your question that is not making sense -- I was told they did not have the part and only many weeks later offered to order it, so what would be the point of bringing the car back to the dealership?

Dec 04, 2010

The part was a missing key! Why would someone return a car for a missing key?!? And, again, I already told you that Matt said returning the car was not possible. Finally, I live several hours away! I should drive two hours to return a car to get a second key?
    It's strange that you are defending Manchester Subaru. The facts are clear and the behavior of Mr. Berkowitz shameful.

Brenda,
    I had already driven the car off the lot. You can't cancel the agreement once you take possession for a missing key -- which they claimed they were looking for (for six weeks?). Again -- and this is VERY strange that I have to keep explaining this -- the point of the story is the outrageous behavior of the ownership, not whether or not I could have or should have returned the car!

immodest,
    You wrote, "you became defensive and turned offensive". Asking someone whether or not they are a troll is offensive? You and Brenda seem to be diverting the attention away from the behavior of Todd Berkowitz and certain members of his Sales staff. THAT is the issue at hand... so why do you keep changing the focus of my post?

Dear immodest,
    A key is a part. Are we going to debate why I said "part" instead of "key"? I said "part" because I didn't think the specific part mattered and to protect my anonymity further. An owner of a business that threatens to have someone arrested for making a legitimate complaint is unpredictable IMHO.
    I have a witness to to this event. It was traumatic for me and my girlfriend and she broke down crying later. There was nothing "questionable" about my behavior. I am an extremely responsible person with a position of high responsibility and I have NEVER been threatened with being thrown out in my life. I was sitting down in his office during this discussion, which only last a few minutes.
    It seems you are inverting the "The Customer is always right" mantra into "Manchester Subaru is always right". The point of my post is (again) the shameful conduct of Todd Berkowitz which you are putting energy into diverting into other topics.

immodest,
    Are you affiliated with Manchester Subaru? Your line of questioning and comments cause me to wonder. Do you have anything to say about the seven or so weeks of getting the run around at M.S.? All I have seen from you and Brenda on that point is that I should have returned the car and no response on the lies which are in addition to the threats and intimidation.

• Sc
      Mar 01, 2011

I'm sorry but I'll have to agree with others here that your belligerence right here talking to strangers makes me suspicious that you were just as belligerent or more when you were there.

BTW, a key is not a part of car. Parts are affixed to them. I thought your reference to "a part" was disingenuous when I first read it. Why not call it "an important item that was missing when the car was delivered"?

This statement of yours summed it up for me: "I said I knew my rights and hadn't finished relating my entire experience -- " Rights? What of the owner's rights? Are you alluding to perceived 1st amendment rights? You do NOT have the right to badger (just a guess, but it sounds like you were badgering him and making a mountain of a molehill) the owner or any of his employees. In fact, when you set foot in that building, your First Amendment rights were left at the door. The First Amendment says that no GOVERNMENT can deny you the right to free speech. Come into my house or my place of business or anyone's house or place of business and you can legally be escorted to the exit and even bodily thrown through it if you resist. Or, a person less inclined to be a richard about it may call the police, who at that stage of the game typically function simply as arbitrators, attempting to defuse a situation before anyone (well, you, actually) ended up cooling their heels in a holding tank overnight.

And just how much of this man's time did you feel entitled to tie up with "relating my *entire* experience" over a missing key? I'm an executive and business owner myself and if a belligerent customer needs to either be assuaged or simply tolerated or hauled out in cuffs, my signature is on the checks of people whose job it is to deal with such things. I've got a business to run. I can't afford to have an hour or however long of it tied up dealing with a customer who chooses to circumvent the folks I hire to deal with customers and feels entitled to, instead, deal with me, at far greater cost to my company.

You write like a duck. I expect you sound like a duck in person too, if the allegory isn't lost on you. You've attacked posters here for "sins" far less egregious than having inadvertently had you be one of the inevitable victims of 1 of hundreds or thousands of keys get lost.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not sure I'd urinate on anyone associated with Subaru if they were on fire (I'm dealing with my second self-destructed STi engine in less than 10k miles and expected to pay for it myself) but even I haven't gone as "overboard" as you seem to have done.