Pricelinedisability discrimination and misrepresentation of services

H Review updated:

Priceline "upgraded" us to Inlet Tower Hotel in Anchorage, which is supposed to be a 3 stars- in the class of Sheraton or Hilton according to their rating system. They (priceline) misrepresented the quality and amenities of this smelly, dirty, poorly renovated flop house. They advertise on their website that there is a pool, there is not (see link at bottom). Nor was there room service, secure parking, any unfrayed upholsery in the lobby or room, nor sanitary conditions present. I have pictures, lots of them! I would like someone to explain to me what the Priceline's criteria is for a 3 star hotel. I've asked them in writing, and on the phone. I've received an autorespsonse to my email, but no one has followed up. Apparently Priceline's 3 star rating does not concur with any known travel guide.
I contacted priceline immediately after they had booked us. I let the representative know about the gross misrepresentation of services and about our physical disabilities that made staying at that hotel a problem. After more than an hour they said there was nothing they- or I- could do about it. The representative was smug, and he was laughing at us. In my experience thus far- no one at priceline really cares whether the room is any good, if the rating really fits, if your disabilities are accomodated, or if their customers are happy.
Pictures don't lie.

There was ice built up inside the windows and drafts strong enough to blow out a candle(we froze our butts off), mildew and missing tiles in the bathroom, frayed wires, whit-ish mystery stains of probable biologic origin dribbled and smeared on every flat surface (it looked like someone dribbled donut glaze and smeared it around), frayed wires, stains, dirt, cigarette burns, mildew, pungent smells, and poor renovation with missing molding and tile throughout. The only open electrical outlet was up high on a wall with no table, or in the bathroom.
Construction next door began around 7:30 AM. I had a magnificent view of the construction porto-potties, though the Priceline Inlet Suites Hotel ad said that all rooms had a beautiful view. We sat on towels and were afraid to take our socks off. The tub was beyond disgusting, with a soap ### ring and mildew aroud the handles, but we couldn't have used the oversized tub anyway because of our physical disabilities (the sides came up to my butt). We are physically unable to perform the type of gymnastics necessary to use that sort of tub without injury, as there was no step or seat in the tub. Both my wife and I are on antibiotics now because the frosty conditions in the room made us ill.
The front desk clerk was friendly and sympathetic to our issues, but was unable to switch us rooms. He (Scott) stated that they are chronically understaffed by management unless the owner was coming in. He said that there were only 3 desk clerks rotating 24/7, and that he wished it were different and he could do something for us. He encouraged me to fill out a complaint card, which no one has yet responded to.
If Priceline or the hotel management cared whatsoever for the comfort of guests, they would take heed-as would priceline- to priceline's own review page on this Hotel located here:
Many people who stayed there in December were as unhappy as I was, and posted similar complaints. priceline is obviously aware that this hotel is not up to standards, and does not care. What they don't realize is that their reputation is suffering because o their lack of humanity. In the end, they'll go under, because being the customer, we always have the choice to use someone else. I hope they take this opportunity to correct these deficits in their rating system.

• T
      Jan 01, 2011

"In the end, they'll go under, because being the customer, we always have the choice to use someone else."

Step 1: Please view company's financials here: http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/results/statemnt.aspx?Symbol=PCLN&lstStatement=10YearSummary&stmtView=Ann .

Step 2: Please notice the profitability, even during this recessionary period; it's the EPS column. Also, notice its growth over the past few years.

Step 3: Realize you're wrong, and it's not that they don't care, but it's just that individually, you represent an insignificant percentage of their business. Furthermore, while the room was clearly sub-par, this is precisely what you paid for. The optional fourth step here would be to read their fine print, and realize exactly what your agreeing to as the terms of purchase. Fundamentally, you're practically agreeing that a broom closet in the hotel would be acceptable; you have no leverage with regard to room types or quality, and that explains their low low prices.