Preferred Photo / Bait and Switch!

1 321 E. 89th StreetBrooklyn, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-734-5186

I ordered a Canon SD850 camera, listed on their site for $243. I got an email back telling me to call them to complete the order. When I called, they told me that I had ordered a "foreign version" with menus in Japanese, a limited-use battery, and an incomplete warranty. They generously offered to provide me with a "US version" of the camera for $289. Of course, the more expensive version is not listed on their website at all, and under the $243 offering, there is not the least hint of this being anything other than the complete US version with full warranty.

Va

Comments

Do
  18th of Apr, 2008

I too have had the same "bait and switch" experience as the original poster on the purchase of an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. The web price listed is $289, but, price to get "US version" is $249 plus $20 for shipping insurance!. Unfortunately this is the same price if I purchased through honest vendors such as B&H Photo who properly post their prices!

I've logged a formal complaint with their customer service along with a copy of the item on the web. If I don't get an acceptable response or no response I think its time to submit a formal compliant to the BBB and FTC! This is deceptive marketing and surely can't be legal!

Don't purchase from these guys. If the price sounds "to good to be true" it probably is.

Do
  18th of Apr, 2008

Correction: price for "US Version" is $349 not $249 in my original response.

Ji
  25th of Apr, 2008

Bait and switch that's for sure. STAY AWAY. I ordered a Sony VPL VW40 projector listed at $2506. After 3 attempts to "expedite" my order and 4 days after I placed the order, they hiked the price up $300 and told me even though it was in stock, it wouldn't ship for 4-6 weeks due to MY delay in contacting them with purchasing instructions. WHAT?????
I am still trying to cancel the order and every time I ask for a confirmation on the cancellation, they talk really fast saying I'll get an email and they hang up.
Unless you like dealing with customer service nightmares and companies scamming you, then I would run far away from this "company".

Ma
  28th of May, 2008
Preferred Photo - bait and switch
Preferred photo

This company takes the order online,
then asks me to call,
after 10 mins on hold,
they then tell me I've ordered the Japanese version, with cheaper battery, manual in Japanese, etc,
and tell me, that for $70 more, (now the same price as others on line, ) they will ship me the US version,
they then want $50 for "handling", (shipping is "free")
I beat them down to $15 for handling.

they suck,
DO NOT BUY FROM THESE LOW LIFE PEOPLE

Da
  18th of Jul, 2008
Preferred Photo - Bait and switch!!!!!
Preferred photo
preferredphoto.com

I have the same complaint as all the others...first the battery that came with it is only 20 mins., so I would need to order the 100 dollar over priced batter for it...I didn't bite...then I ordered the wrong memory card supposedly for it...I needed the "error free" model...i didn't bite...all of a sudden the camera is a Japanese only model...but they have the American version available for only another 170 dollars...I said I just wanted to cancel...he hung up so fast!!!

I had a friend call back to find out details on the camera they have on there website, but it was now out of stock...

shame on them

Kc
  24th of Jul, 2008

Scam artists!!! do not buy from them!!! they will take your credit card and send you to the cleaners. they will not answer calls. they won't even speak to you.
they answer their phone and put you on hold and continue to do the same thing over and over.
I was lucky enough to cancel my ccard before charges were made.
check on the bbb ny site they have about 20 phone numbers and names of companies they use.

Tw
  2nd of Dec, 2008

I have had the same "bait & switch" problem with Preferred Photo, Broadway Photo, & Prestige Photo and another outfit I can't remember the name of. It is very frustrating to try to find a reputable company when buying on the web when it comes to electronics...